Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM
mee mee started this thread

10 posts, read 72,207 times

Advertisements

dear friends
we are planning to buy a home around 250-300k...in central nj. I need ahome which is brand new or homes within 5 years old. Both a townhome or single family homes are okay...my criteria is there should be good coomutation by train near the home to go to ny and decent school systems...my babies are 2 years old so schools are also important to me and also good indian population around...for my babies ....
pl. help me find good areas within my price range...
thanks
regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM

1,289 posts, read 6,095,739 times
Unfortunately with that price range and the desired age of the unit, you are going to have a very tough time in Central NJ. Single Family homes for the most part are out of the question. In that range you are looking solely at condos. It is pretty sad that the market has turned this way because it is hard for first time home buyers but unfortunately it is the way it is. If you are willing to compromise on the age of the unit, you will have much better luck.

Central NJ mostly consists of Middlesex County and Monmouth County (although a little further south). The only areas in which I think that you can get something built after 2000 would be in areas like Perth Amboy, Carteret, & New Brunswick but the areas that have new construction are not the highly desirable areas and the schools are not good at all.

You might have a chance to find something in Piscataway or North Brunswick but those condos are few and far between. I know of two new complexes but the units are not that large, around 1100 - 1200 square feet and are mostly 1 bedrooms. You can get lucky sometimes with 2 bedrooms but those are the rarest.

Lastly, you might want to try Ewing, NJ which is outside Princeton. There is a complex there called the Madison which has 1512 square foot 2 bedroom condos available but the schools are also not that great.

Hope this information helps. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:22 AM

Default thanks for the reply..

is it possible to find a condo brand new or within 5 years old with the basement atleast....with in my price range 250k-300k...
in piscataway or edison area...or in south and north brunswick...
thanks
regards
mee.

Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,367,911 times
You're not going to find anything like that in Edison or the Brunswicks (well, maybe New Brunswick, but you don't wanna go there...). "Maybe" in Piscataway, but I'm thinking you're either going to have to forego the basement or go for something older than 5 years- you're not likely to get both. A quick search of realtor.com for Piscataway, 0-5 years old, 2 br, with a basement showed no 100% matches- several were 92% (either older than 5 years, or no basement), and the lowest price was $289,000.

You also didn't mention whether you needed more than 2 bedrooms or not. If you need 3 br, your choices will be even more limited.

Bob

Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 AM

A basement is a premium so your matches would be even less with a basement. Just like Bob said, three bedrooms is going to be really tough, especially in a good area.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:56 PM

okay...2 bedroom with2 bath..but a condo within 5 years old is okay for me...i don't need a basement....but the condo should be in ground floor...thats important ...with babies i cannot climb up and down always...can u pl. send me the listing or mls # if u find anything within 250-300k range.
thanks
regards
mee.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Just sent you a PM

Old 07-21-2007, 11:46 PM

119 posts, read 240,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee View Post
dear friends
we are planning to buy a home around 250-300k...in central nj. I need ahome which is brand new or homes within 5 years old. Both a townhome or single family homes are okay...my criteria is there should be good coomutation by train near the home to go to ny and decent school systems...my babies are 2 years old so schools are also important to me and also good indian population around...for my babies ....
pl. help me find good areas within my price range...
thanks
regards
You can try Maplewood at Piscataway or Birch Glen at Piscataway. Both communities are very new and easy commute thru Dunellen Train Station. Piscataway High School just won #1 on 10 FBLA Business competitions of NJ and represented NJ to compete nationwide at Chicago and step into final and got the plaque. So, you know the school district is very competitive. The Superintendent of Piscataway just won Superintendent of New Jersey in 2007.

With a small kid, Piscataway offer full day FREE preschool care for kids at 4 years old, so you kid will beneift from it. Piscataway is top 9 populated Indian township in the US (Edison is #1), so your kids should have enough Indian kids around, but Piscataway is mixed community with 50% whites, 25% blacks and 25% Asians.

If you do not insist brand new or under 5 years old, you can consider Society Hill at Piscataway which now you can get nice condo and townhouse at $250k or $300k, respectively. It is very nice community with 722 units, nice community center with olympic size swimming pool, playground, tennis court ...etc and right next to Rutgers Univ Busch Campus and Kilmer campus that give you lots of extra resources... Many such units have been renovated and inside usually very new and with morden appliances ...etc.

You should call your realtor to see or find one in this board, there are many very good realtor members in this board.

Last edited by BobKovacs; 07-22-2007 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Telling us about your Gold Medal and how you have your "hands full" is as bad as blatant advertising- wjcheng/ehs/ching.....

Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 AM

thanks for the information and i will look into it....

Old 07-23-2007, 08:59 PM

78 posts, read 400,397 times
you safe bet is central jersey area: edison, north brunswick, south brunswick, and piscataway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey