Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nina9966 View Post
thanks a lot. Is it free to park at the station? If I take the train at 7:00-7:30. Can I find a parking place easily at that time?
The permit is free, parking is not. There are 12 hr meters at the train station - yes, you do need quarters every day. Its tough to find parking after 7am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 14,673 times
I commute to midtown daily from Ridgewood. If you take express train, it takes max 45 mins including transfer from Ridgewood to Penn unless there is some problem with tunnel. You can pick up parking permit at city hall for free if you are a resident. The permit only allows you to park. You have to pay 6 dollar a day to park 12 hour at train station. Parking is not hard to find since most people don't want to pay 120 a month on parking in addition to monthly train pass. Alternatively you can park at a vacant car dealership parking lot on the Broad St by paying 50 monthly fee.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisynj View Post
I commute to midtown daily from Ridgewood. If you take express train, it takes max 45 mins including transfer from Ridgewood to Penn unless there is some problem with tunnel. You can pick up parking permit at city hall for free if you are a resident. The permit only allows you to park. You have to pay 6 dollar a day to park 12 hour at train station. Parking is not hard to find since most people don't want to pay 120 a month on parking in addition to monthly train pass. Alternatively you can park at a vacant car dealership parking lot on the Broad St by paying 50 monthly fee.
That's good info about parking but I'm going to have to disagree with you about the "45 minutes max" statement. There is one train that can even possibly make it to Penn in 45 minutes or less and I've taken that train! It arrives, after transfer, in NYC by 8:40 maybe once a week, usually closer to 8:50 and that's the fastest train available all other trains don;t even come close to that. 9 times out of 10 the entire commute takes at least 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
thanks a lot. Is it free to park at the station? If I take the train at 7:00-7:30. Can I find a parking place easily at that time?
No, it is not free to park at the station. At the beginning of the year you can apply for parking permits from the town--you'd have to call the municipal office to find out when and how much. Parking is extremely limited there, and leaving that late, you'd be out of luck anyway. The contact info for whom to call about parking is on the NJ Transit website under "Rider Guide".

Depending on where you live, you might be able to catch a NJ Transit bus to the station--usually with your monthly rail pass, the ride is free (I used to use the 164 from Midland Park to catch the bus at Ridgewood.) Otherwise, you can walk, get dropped off, or use Ridgewood Taxi to get to the station.

Ridgewood's parking situation is tough--the station was built in 1916 and the streets were built around it--there's little room for expansion.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 AM

4 posts, read 14,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
That's good info about parking but I'm going to have to disagree with you about the "45 minutes max" statement. There is one train that can even possibly make it to Penn in 45 minutes or less and I've taken that train! It arrives, after transfer, in NYC by 8:40 maybe once a week, usually closer to 8:50 and that's the fastest train available all other trains don;t even come close to that. 9 times out of 10 the entire commute takes at least 55 minutes to 1 hour and 5 minutes.
I have lived in ridgewood and commuted to the city for 8 yrs now. I take 7:57 express train from ridgewood everyday. I rarely get to Penn later than 8:40.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:03 AM

14 posts, read 73,412 times
Sounds like I better find a place close to the train station and walk there. Is it safe to walk in the downtown before 8:30 p.m?

Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Sounds like I better find a place close to the train station and walk there. Is it safe to walk in the downtown before 8:30 p.m?
LOL , this Ridgewood were talking about not Newark or Manhattan....its very lively at Night.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Yeh you should be really careful, the wild gangs of stay at home moms and business people have been known to mug people, taking only their Starbucks gift card and leaving everything else.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisynj View Post
I have lived in ridgewood and commuted to the city for 8 yrs now. I take 7:57 express train from ridgewood everyday. I rarely get to Penn later than 8:40.
I was on that train yesterday...and guess what? I was not in Penn at 8:40...in fact I wasn't in at 8:50 either. While I don;t have the experience of taking that train everyday, since I only do so when it's my turn to drop the baby off at daycare, my experience has been that the time schedule for that route is rarely accurate. Again this is from my experience only and it should also be noted that 7:57 train is the only train out of the entire schedule of trains leaving Ridgewood, that even tries to get the commute in 45 minutes. The average time for trains departing from that station is closer to 1 hour.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 02-09-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-09-2011, 10:10 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
I was on that train yesterday...and guess what? I was not in Penn at 8:40...in fact I wasn't in at 8:50 either. While I don;t have the experience of taking that train everyday, since I only do so when it's my turn to drop the baby off at daycare, my experience has been that the time schedule for that route is rarely accurate. Again this is from my experience only and it should also be noted that 7:57 train is the only train out of the entire schedule of trains leaving Ridgewood, that even tries to get the commute in 45 minutes. The average time for trains departing from that station is closer to 1 hour.
Why not go through Hoboken which is actually cheaper and takes about the same amount of time if not less then through Secaucus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey