Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 08:23 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,366,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I use a large under sink water filter (2 filters about 15" tall--a large Brita filter essentially) that goes to our fridge and water filler faucet. It reduces a whole slew of things that may or may not be present. lead, MTBes, benzene, chlorine, etc. It does taste better and my wife feels better about it. who knows what the water could pick up in miles of old pipes?

I dont know if it is or not required. we get notices from Ridgewood water about possible lead in the water (i guess it depends on which pipes you are on?)

i don't really like soft water but find that it does do the dishes better in the dishwasher. i am not sure what it does for laundry.
the brita/pur filters are just charcoal filters and only improve taste and remove some very minor particles. it's the salt/osmosis filters that really start removing chemicals and such. i'm not sure it's worth doing one of these crazy high tech systems.

thanks for the feedback though everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,058,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it's rated the 4th worst in the nation due to all the industrial activity here over the decades. I'm sure there are some good spots, but mostly, it's not great. I live in West Orange. I drink it, but i'd love for it to be cleaner.
Is it really?

You want a reverse osmosis system to really get everything out.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Is it really?

You want a reverse osmosis system to really get everything out.
well, according to the salesman! but i do recall reading that NJ's water is very lowly rated.

i would love to get a whole house filter, just thinking this RainSoft hard sell I participated in might not be the best option. Definitely more research required. They make it sound great, but that's what salesmen do!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,697,321 times
In NJ selling a house with a private well requires a fill lab water test...not just the hardness but all major heavy metals,toxins etc. Just had this done...

Don't waste your money having a test done by any outfit that offers softners,filter installations, or other such post processing / installation and work. Obviously there's an agenda there. An independent lab that just runs the NJ certified testing is the way to go.

Afterwards you have a real lab report and know what if anything needs addressing. You can then,with lab results inhand shop for whatever equipment etc you may need.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
the brita/pur filters are just charcoal filters and only improve taste and remove some very minor particles. it's the salt/osmosis filters that really start removing chemicals and such. i'm not sure it's worth doing one of these crazy high tech systems.

thanks for the feedback though everyone!

this is what it says

* Pentek P-250A Under Sink Water Filter Features:
* The Pentek P250A water filter set filters the water twice producing healthier and better-tasting drinking water and cooking water
* NSF International Certified to Reduce MTBE
* The Pentek P-250A reduces 99% of dissolved lead
* The PEntek P-250A water filters remove greater than 99.95% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts from your drinking water
* The Pentek P-250A replacement filters reduce extra-fine dirt, sand, sediment, silt, rust particles, and scale particles
* The Pentek P-250A filter set reduces odors, chlorine taste and odor, bad taste, sediment, and asbestos
* The Pentek P-250A filter cartridges reduce mercury, chemicals (VOCs), pesticides and herbicides
* 9.75" x 2.4" x 2.4" Sediment Water Filter and Drinking Water Filter
* 0.5-micron extra-fine water filtration

The US-1500 is Tested and Certified by NSF/ANSI to Standard 42 for the reduction of Chlorine Taste & Odor and Particulate Class I. Standard 53 Asbestos, Cyst, Lead, Mercury, Turbidity, and VOC.

i think it is more significant than brita/pur.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NJ water taste like crap, even with filter. I didn't realize it was that bad until I was at my mom's home in NYC. The water there is like million time better. Actually taste fresh, without any filter.

I just don't understand, why is it such a big different?

when i lived in brooklyn, i drank tap water. living in nj, i drink tap water. i dont notice any significant difference. i dont filter anything, thats what my liver is for.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
this is what it says

* Pentek P-250A Under Sink Water Filter Features:
* The Pentek P250A water filter set filters the water twice producing healthier and better-tasting drinking water and cooking water
* NSF International Certified to Reduce MTBE
* The Pentek P-250A reduces 99% of dissolved lead
* The PEntek P-250A water filters remove greater than 99.95% of Cryptosporidium and Giardia cysts from your drinking water
* The Pentek P-250A replacement filters reduce extra-fine dirt, sand, sediment, silt, rust particles, and scale particles
* The Pentek P-250A filter set reduces odors, chlorine taste and odor, bad taste, sediment, and asbestos
* The Pentek P-250A filter cartridges reduce mercury, chemicals (VOCs), pesticides and herbicides
* 9.75" x 2.4" x 2.4" Sediment Water Filter and Drinking Water Filter
* 0.5-micron extra-fine water filtration

The US-1500 is Tested and Certified by NSF/ANSI to Standard 42 for the reduction of Chlorine Taste & Odor and Particulate Class I. Standard 53 Asbestos, Cyst, Lead, Mercury, Turbidity, and VOC.

i think it is more significant than brita/pur.
i was just commenting since you said something like "like a brita". if yours is more than a brita, that's excellent!

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,831,630 times
sorry yes it is it's similar to a brita in that there is a charcoal filter but they are much larger and there is a separate sediment filter. it is cheap, seems to work, tastes better. filters are $30 for 500 gal so about .06 per gallon.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
sorry yes it is it's similar to a brita in that there is a charcoal filter but they are much larger and there is a separate sediment filter. it is cheap, seems to work, tastes better. filters are $30 for 500 gal so about .06 per gallon.
i might have to look into that! thanks.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:28 AM

242 posts, read 756,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
NJ water taste like crap, even with filter. I didn't realize it was that bad until I was at my mom's home in NYC. The water there is like million time better. Actually taste fresh, without any filter.

I just don't understand, why is it such a big different?
I was wondering the same thing and recently posted about it. I recently was in Hoboken, which as you know, is across the river from Manhattan. I would understand a slight difference in water quality being that it's a different state, but I was shocked at how terrible and chemical-ly it tasted. In general, NJ water is harder than NY water.

NYC water comes from pristine reservoirs about 125 miles north of the city. From what I understand, N. NJ water comes from reservoirs in the highlands where the water is harder (higher mineral content). I've been all over NJ and have to say that compared to other places I've been in the US, the water is pretty good. However, it does vary in quality. Central Jersey sea, from my experience, has more decent water than northern or the shore area. By central, the areas I've been to are Monroe, East Brunswick, Sayreville, East Windsor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey