Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2011, 10:44 AM

3 posts, read 5,612 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be a grad student at Rutgers-Newark starting this summer. I'm graduating from college this May and will be taking out loans.

Where would you recommend renting? I'll have a car with me but I don't want to be too far from campus. (maximum would be 15 minutes) I want something that isn't expensive yet in a reasonably safe area.

I don't know whether I'll be renting with another person or not yet. It depends on if I can find someone by the end of May. Otherwise, I'll be renting on my own. [Most likely a studio apartment if renting by myself and a 2-bedroom if renting with someone else]

*Despite the title of this thread, I'm also willing to rent in Newark if there are any cheap/relatively safe areas in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Harrison isn't a bad idea, fairly cheap rent+a path station. Belleville which is right on the boarder of North Newark isn't to bad either and not to far of a commute.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,756 times
I agree with CF77. Harrison isn't a bad idea. There is also East Newark which I consider to be part of Harrison. A good town to look into is Kearny. I too went to Rutgers-Newark and lived in Kearny. I would take the bus to campus since it drops you off right in front on University Avenue when I didn't drive in (aka snow days). Kearny is safe and a good place to rent while at Rutgers-Newark. I'm quite familiar with the town so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM

I've been doing some research. Kearny seems like a good fit. It's closer to campus than some parts of Newark! Harrison too, for similar reasons.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman222 View Post
I've been doing some research. Kearny seems like a good fit. It's closer to campus than some parts of Newark! Harrison too, for similar reasons.
Kearny is farther form Campus , Harrison / East Newark are the closet.....or you could look in the Ironbound section of Newark...

Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Kearny is farther form Campus , Harrison / East Newark are the closet.....or you could look in the Ironbound section of Newark...

Kearny borders Harrison and East Newark, so if you're in that area of Kearny then you are very close to the Rutger-Newark campus. Just cross 21 and you're there! Now, if you're on the side that border North Arlington, it is a longer commute (maybe an additional 7-10 minutes) but doable.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:43 AM

2,385 posts, read 2,338,616 times
You don't need to drive to campus. Depending where you live(Belleville, Bloomfield, even Forest Hill or Nutley) you can take the subway to Washington Street from 3 of those locations(Forest Hill borders the Branch Brook station). Campus is on University Ave. There's also campus shuttle service from parts of Kearny too.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 AM

From doing research on areas near Newark, Bloomfield/South Orange seem like the nicest areas of the bunch.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:23 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
How about the Ironbound? Close yet there's a lot of good eateries and the area is always lively. Pretty safe in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey