U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2011, 11:46 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 3,605,044 times
Reputation: 436

Advertisements

I understand people who move out of NJ because they get a good job somewhere else and there is something else about the place that they like (climate, lower taxes, lifestyle, etc). Sometimes the job comes first, sometimes the choice to move comes first, but then they'll look for a job there and not go until they get one. Makes sense.

What I don't understand is when some people just pick a random state and decide they are going to move there, and then expend all of this energy thinking about it, but they don't even have a job there yet. Especially in this lousy economy.

It seems like escapist thinking or a fantasy to me.

The thought process seems to go like this: "If I could just move out of NJ, then all of my problems would vanish. The problem is NJ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,983 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I understand people who move out of NJ because they get a good job somewhere else and there is something else about the place that they like (climate, lower taxes, lifestyle, etc). Sometimes the job comes first, sometimes the choice to move comes first, but then they'll look for a job there and not go until they get one. Makes sense.

What I don't understand is when some people just pick a random state and decide they are going to move there, and then expend all of this energy thinking about it, but they don't even have a job there yet. Especially in this lousy economy.

It seems like escapist thinking or a fantasy to me.

The thought process seems to go like this: "If I could just move out of NJ, then all of my problems would vanish. The problem is NJ."
It's not just people in NJ. You should see the posts on the NC boards from people all over this country who think that the pot of gold is in NC & jobs grow on trees. They think that it's a good idea to pack the kids & dogs & head for (insert town or city, NC) then look for a job. When they get told to look for a job first, then they get mad.

I assume that this is in regard to a specific thread on the board right now. That person's post on another board was not answered, so she posted here. Actually, she got advice that she wouldn't have gotten on the other board.

The economy stinks all over. People from all over are looking to move, & some are moving into NJ. If everything is good in your life, that's good. That's not the case for a lot of people. Relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 3,605,044 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's not just people in NJ. You should see the posts on the NC boards from people all over this country who think that the pot of gold is in NC & jobs grow on trees. They think that it's a good idea to pack the kids & dogs & head for (insert town or city, NC) then look for a job. When they get told to look for a job first, then they get mad.

I assume that this is in regard to a specific thread on the board right now. That person's post on another board was not answered, so she posted here. Actually, she got advice that she wouldn't have gotten on the other board.

The economy stinks all over. People from all over are looking to move, & some are moving into NJ. If everything is good in your life, that's good. That's not the case for a lot of people. Relax.
I haven't looked at the NC board, I'll have to look.

Actually, I posted this because of someone I know who is going through this fantasy thinking right now (and yes, it's for North Carolina, which seems to be the fantasy state for the moment).

Yes, they are quite poor here, two kids, doesn't make sense for the mom to work because of daycare costs, dad doesn't make that much and they have this idea that NC will solve all of the problems.

But the real problem is that neither of them have any skills or education that would earn them well-paying jobs anywhere in the U.S right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,983 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I haven't looked at the NC board, I'll have to look.

Actually, I posted this because of someone I know who is going through this fantasy thinking right now (and yes, it's for North Carolina, which seems to be the fantasy state for the moment).

Yes, they are quite poor here, two kids, doesn't make sense for the mom to work because of daycare costs, dad doesn't make that much and they have this idea that NC will solve all of the problems.

But the real problem is that neither of them have any skills or education that would earn them well-paying jobs anywhere in the U.S right now.
Look on the main board & each sub forum. Here's two from the Charlotte board that are on the front page now.

Single parent thinking of moving to Charlotte

Shelby NC

If they're capable of factory work, they could look around Greenville or Spartanburg, in SC, but I don't know how far they'll get without skills &/or education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,788,756 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Yes, they are quite poor here, two kids, doesn't make sense for the mom to work because of daycare costs, dad doesn't make that much and they have this idea that NC will solve all of the problems.

But the real problem is that neither of them have any skills or education that would earn them well-paying jobs anywhere in the U.S right now.
The thing is, if they can get even a fair-paying job in some other states, they may be able to improve their situation, because it's easier to live on less in some other states. Buying a home for $100k in a good area is very achieveable in many parts of the country, as is renting an apartment in a good area for $700/month- neither of these is really possible in NJ. I know some will say "but the salaries are much lower elsewhere", which is not always the case.

Or course, they'll still face the challenge of finding a job wherever they go, but assuming they're able to secure work, they could very well "solve their problems" by moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 3,605,044 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The thing is, if they can get even a fair-paying job in some other states, they may be able to improve their situation, because it's easier to live on less in some other states. Buying a home for $100k in a good area is very achieveable in many parts of the country, as is renting an apartment in a good area for $700/month- neither of these is really possible in NJ. I know some will say "but the salaries are much lower elsewhere", which is not always the case.

Or course, they'll still face the challenge of finding a job wherever they go, but assuming they're able to secure work, they could very well "solve their problems" by moving.
I totally agree, IF they can get a job equivalent to the one they have in NJ.

But I still don't understand why you would go somewhere before you have that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 01:47 PM
 
1,527 posts, read 3,605,044 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Look on the main board & each sub forum. Here's two from the Charlotte board that are on the front page now.

Single parent thinking of moving to Charlotte

Shelby NC

If they're capable of factory work, they could look around Greenville or Spartanburg, in SC, but I don't know how far they'll get without skills &/or education.
Those threads are just sad.

I see what you mean, they didn't even want to hear "Get a job first" or "Don't leave the job you have now unless you have one here waiting."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,788,756 times
Reputation: 3540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I totally agree, IF they can get a job equivalent to the one they have in NJ.

But I still don't understand why you would go somewhere before you have that.
A lack of understanding of the realities of the job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,983 posts, read 27,269,275 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Those threads are just sad.

I see what you mean, they didn't even want to hear "Get a job first" or "Don't leave the job you have now unless you have one here waiting."
Those are just run of the mill. Some get really angry & accuse us of lying. Plus, these people are planning to drag kids along with nothing lined up. I've seen threads where they are planning to show up with 3 or 4 kids & nothing lined up. Occasionally, we get a thread where they've dragged the kids across country, anyway & now they wonder where the jobs are. My stock line is "The economy is bad all over."

(Apparently, the exception to the rule is Texas.)

NC is a great alternative to NJ, but it's got it's own problems, now. The jobs were plentiful here, & now they aren't & people just keep showing up. I did recommend it to the girl who was asking about SC, because her husband has marketable skills, & they're not coming immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 PM
 
4,072 posts, read 9,068,293 times
Reputation: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I understand people who move out of NJ because they get a good job somewhere else and there is something else about the place that they like (climate, lower taxes, lifestyle, etc). Sometimes the job comes first, sometimes the choice to move comes first, but then they'll look for a job there and not go until they get one. Makes sense.

What I don't understand is when some people just pick a random state and decide they are going to move there, and then expend all of this energy thinking about it, but they don't even have a job there yet. Especially in this lousy economy.

I agree for the most part. However, I could think of many examples where it would not be necessary:

-Married couple in their 50s, kids have moved out of the house. Bought a house in NJ 25 years ago, have it paid off, and it is now worth 350k. They would be just fine selling, and buying a small house or a condo in a place where real estate is cheap.

-Single person who has no kids, but has a decent amount of money saved up.

-Anyone who receives a pension check or other monthly guaranteed income that could be used to support themselves.


I think it really comes down to responsibilities and being able to support yourself. If you have nothing tying you down in NJ and want to move elsewhere, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top