U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2011, 04:31 PM
 
157 posts, read 329,479 times
Reputation: 102
Default Train Tracks That Run Through Roseland/Livingston, West Orange, etc?

Are those active train tracks that run through Roseland/Livingston, West Orange, etc. They cross over 280, Eagle Rock Avenue, and Eisenhower Parkway, etc.

Does anybody know if these are actually active train tracks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Scranton
1,987 posts, read 2,042,281 times
Reputation: 1840
I don't know if they are. The Morris County Central Railroad does train rides around Christmas and Easter, i'm not sure if they ride up to Roseland. I'm assuming they go there. When i was a kid in the 70's, i worked there and it used to take rides from Whippany to Roseland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,336 posts, read 13,260,435 times
Reputation: 4241
Yea , but not that much , compared to other lines in the region....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM
 
Location: Montclair, NJ
362 posts, read 457,038 times
Reputation: 105
Not sure about those lines, but there are some defunct lines in Little Falls that are hiking/ biking trails now. Montclair used to have a fair number of freight trains running through when I was a kid. No one wanted to live near the tracks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 11:18 AM
 
7,176 posts, read 7,870,069 times
Reputation: 8330
Whippany Railway does go up to Roseland. They offer train rides seven months of the year.

It seems that it's also used for freight.

Morristown and Erie Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
 
1,190 posts, read 1,719,571 times
Reputation: 1858
I have driven over these train tracks a million times on Eisenhower Parkway, River Rd. (well, on River Rd., I have driven UNDER, not over them), Deforest Ave., Ridgedale Ave., and S. Jefferson Rd.

In 17 years of driving, I have never had to stop once for a train, LOL. But I know they must be active.

I'm not sure how they can go all the way into Roseland, though? If we're talking about the same railroad tracks, there's a portion that is a high bridge over the Passaic River (I'm pretty sure it's the Passaic River...this is in the vicinity of Eisenhower Parkway and Eagle Rock Ave...hard to tell if it's Livingston, Roseland or East Hanover in that area). The train would have to get across the river in order to be in Roseland.

About 20 years ago my friends and I crossed that bridge on foot (we were trying to recreate that train scene in the movie Stand By Me). Luckily, we didn't have to run from any train. But it was SCARY walking over those tracks just the same. It was rickety even then. Years later, some time in college we went back with the intent of crossing them again for old time's sake. However, they had further deteriorated to the point where we could not even walk over them on foot...I have no idea how a train could ever pass over the tracks at this portion of the railroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
 
232 posts, read 323,370 times
Reputation: 108
Tracks run up to Harrison Ave in Roseland (right near Eastern Concrete) and then they are removed at Harison Ave and go no further.

I believe they run some sort of "historical" ride during the year now. They used to have one of those train rides where the "cowboys" would "rob" the train and it's riders of fake money handed out prior to boarding. Was a cool thing when I was a little kid.

Last edited by Jo Bloe; 02-09-2011 at 02:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:32 PM
 
157 posts, read 329,479 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I have driven over these train tracks a million times on Eisenhower Parkway, River Rd. (well, on River Rd., I have driven UNDER, not over them), Deforest Ave., Ridgedale Ave., and S. Jefferson Rd.

In 17 years of driving, I have never had to stop once for a train, LOL. But I know they must be active.

I'm not sure how they can go all the way into Roseland, though? If we're talking about the same railroad tracks, there's a portion that is a high bridge over the Passaic River (I'm pretty sure it's the Passaic River...this is in the vicinity of Eisenhower Parkway and Eagle Rock Ave...hard to tell if it's Livingston, Roseland or East Hanover in that area). The train would have to get across the river in order to be in Roseland.

About 20 years ago my friends and I crossed that bridge on foot (we were trying to recreate that train scene in the movie Stand By Me). Luckily, we didn't have to run from any train. But it was SCARY walking over those tracks just the same. It was rickety even then. Years later, some time in college we went back with the intent of crossing them again for old time's sake. However, they had further deteriorated to the point where we could not even walk over them on foot...I have no idea how a train could ever pass over the tracks at this portion of the railroad.
They actually end abruptly in Roseland after they cross over 280.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 04:34 PM
 
157 posts, read 329,479 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Whippany Railway does go up to Roseland. They offer train rides seven months of the year.

It seems that it's also used for freight.

Morristown and Erie Railway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting...would anybody on this board live near where these tracks run near your property? I would never live with an NJ Transit line in my back yard because the frequency of noise would drive me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2011, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Montclair, NJ
362 posts, read 457,038 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Flossin' View Post
Interesting...would anybody on this board live near where these tracks run near your property? I would never live with an NJ Transit line in my back yard because the frequency of noise would drive me nuts.
We now have an electric line and a 24hr whistle ban (after $1 million in crossing upgrades) so it's pretty quiet now. I'm close enough to hear announcements at the station, but I don't notice the trains unless the breaks are real loud. I'm probably used to it though. Don't know if I'll ever sleep through the garbage trucks in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top