Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times

Advertisements

Downtown JC is very safe and has very little crime. When there are incidents they are generally petty, non-violent crimes like stolen vehicles or vandalism.

I am not sure about schools, but I have a lot of friends that live downtown and it is a great place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 71,884 times
The Jersey City public school systems is not very good. I have 2 little children and once they enter school we plan on moving out of jersey city.

The private schools are better, but they are very expensive.

My husband and I grew up in Jersey City, we both went to Catholic schools, but I don't think the Catholic schools are as good as they were before, plus most closed in the last few year.

Moving from and Orlando suburb, I think you are in for a culture shock. Just my opinion. I personally can't wait to leave jersey city and move to the suburbs.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:14 AM

592 posts, read 2,187,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post

Safe = NO. JC is not. Very crime ridden (not kid friendly)
why do you bother commenting on topics you have no clue about? Some parts of jersey city are very unsafe, but the downtown newport area is one of the safest around the ny metro area.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:25 AM

303 posts, read 752,512 times
Quote:
Based on your requests, JC is not for you.

Safe = NO. JC is not. Very crime ridden (not kid friendly)
Public Schools = No. One of the worst public schools in the country.

I suggest you further away from city to fulfill those two requests.

Todd..seriously...****. anytime someone mentions JC, your quick to bash the city. The city as a whole is not dangerous, there are 2 sections where most of the crime occurs and with crime happening through the rest of the city a few times. I think she understands the risk of moving to a city, as there will be crime in any city you encounter, whether its JC, san francisco, or seattle. JC does have decent public schools as a whole. Some excel in education while others are horrible. You simply just come to this website just to talk smack about JC. Ive lived here my whole life and i can sure tell you this city has gone through major changes and continues to change. Unfortunately, we do have issues.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Todd..seriously...****. anytime someone mentions JC, your quick to bash the city. The city as a whole is not dangerous, there are 2 sections where most of the crime occurs and with crime happening through the rest of the city a few times. I think she understands the risk of moving to a city, as there will be crime in any city you encounter, whether its JC, san francisco, or seattle. JC does have decent public schools as a whole. Some excel in education while others are horrible. You simply just come to this website just to talk smack about JC. Ive lived here my whole life and i can sure tell you this city has gone through major changes and continues to change. Unfortunately, we do have issues.
That's what I've said to this guy over and over again. If you compare Jersey City's crime stats with other cities 200,000+, the crime stats are within the average (and a lot safer than some cities that would surprise many people).

It's a F'ing CITY! Not the suburbs. But it's a great lifestyle. Not once have I ever felt even close to unsafe, even at 3 am.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
I repeat. JC is NOT SAFE. Google it yourself. Don't believe these others who say its fine and dandy. They most likely are realtor's from JC who want you to buy a home from them for commission.

You guys must work for RE-MAX?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:38 PM

572 posts, read 2,021,913 times
todd, I am not a realtor anywhere and have a lot of friends that live in downtown JC. We walk to dinner and to get drinks (yes at night), we walk to the shops and we walk around just to walk around.

Let me repeat that the ONLY crime you will see in the downtown area of Jersey City is car thefts and vandalism and occassionally the random bar fight from drunken frat boys that have ventured over from Hoboken.

The OP stated she is not looking to buy but to rent so a realtor would have no reason to try and talk someone into moving to JC.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
I repeat. JC is NOT SAFE. Google it yourself. Don't believe these others who say its fine and dandy. They most likely are realtor's from JC who want you to buy a home from them for commission.

You guys must work for RE-MAX?
If you compare ANY large city to a suburban town, the city will seem unsafe in comparison. JC is not more dangerous than any other mid-sized to large city.

I am not a realtor, never was, and never will be.

This person specifically said they want an urban area. You said to look towards the suburbs. How is that addressing the person's question? How is that helpful?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 17,338 times
Thanks everyone for your replies...

We are also looking at the Weehawken area as it looks like the public schools are better (as in test scores) in that area and the rent seems to be a bit cheaper. Does anyone have any dealings with the public schools there or in Union City?

Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briteflame3 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies...

We are also looking at the Weehawken area as it looks like the public schools are better (as in test scores) in that area and the rent seems to be a bit cheaper. Does anyone have any dealings with the public schools there or in Union City?
Union City has terrible schools form what i heard , Weehawkens are decent....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey