Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,975 times

Advertisements

I am moving with my family (wife and 2 kids) from San Francisco to the NY/NJ area.. Will be working 3 - 4 days in Jersey City and the balance in 1 - 2 days in NYC (midtown)..

We are looking to buy a house which has a decent commute (less than an hour) to both places, good - great schools, and is a good family neighborhood.. Looking to buy atleast a 3 bed, 2 bath SFH in the 500K - 525K. Thoughts ??

From what I have been reading, Bergen county seems like a good place to live (minus the Blue law)..

Appreciate the help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:19 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,488 times
Will you be driving to JC or depending entirely on public transportation?

Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
The best places for your dual commute, if via public transit, would probably be:

(A) Summit or Secaucus (NJT to midtown; NJT to Hoboken, 2 stops on the PATH to Exchange Place in JC); or
(B) downtown JC itself (walk to work; PATH to midtown).

Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM

3 posts, read 4,975 times
@Ninasimonejr: I am not too sure if my employer will provide for parking, if yes then driving else public..

@G.Costanza: Hows the school district in these cities.. From what I have read, the hudson county schools are not the best.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 PM

747 posts, read 2,758,950 times
I'll defer to people with personal experience with schools. You should search this forum for each of those 3 cities and the keyword schools.

I don't think you should put too much stock in broad generalizations ("Hudson County schools are not good"). From what I've read, McNair is a really good high school (JC), apparently one of the best in the state. Not to mention, Summit is in Morris County.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:51 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram.panjwani View Post
@Ninasimonejr: I am not too sure if my employer will provide for parking, if yes then driving else public..
Personally, I'd recommend clarifying that before you decide where to live. Lots of towns have a relatively short drive to JC & Manhattan, but not great public transit options. If you really need to rely on public transit, you need to choose very carefully.

That said, you might look at Cranford. And use this page liberally!
New Jersey Transit

Also, research commutes on this site - often locals have inside info beyond what's on NJ Transit. For example, the private buses in my town MAKE the commute, but I wouldn't know they existed if I only checked NJ Transit.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 AM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
I think your best bet would be Jersey City Downtown where you can get a pretty nice condo/house for 500k WITH parking.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:31 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,750,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
I'll defer to people with personal experience with schools. You should search this forum for each of those 3 cities and the keyword schools.

I don't think you should put too much stock in broad generalizations ("Hudson County schools are not good"). From what I've read, McNair is a really good high school (JC), apparently one of the best in the state. Not to mention, Summit is in Morris County.
Hudson county schools aren't very good. McNair is indeed one of the best in the state but competitive to get into. Aside from McNair the best school in Hudson county probably isn't as good as the worst school in Bergen county. Greatschools.com is a good resource.

You may want to look at Rutherford.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:55 PM

91 posts, read 375,963 times
If your commute is a bus or car, try looking in parts of Bloomfield, Verona, Cedar Grove, Maplewood, Nutley, the Caldwells, West Orange. If you need the train, try towns like Montclair, Maplewood, Millburn and Wayne.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post

Summit is in Union County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey