Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 06:07 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

A couple of years ago, my daughter, son-in-law and 3 kids relocated to NJ as she had a job in NYC. Pressed for time when searching for a place, they ended up in a small, cramped apartment in Hackensack. Every time her lease is up, she says she is going to move but, never does. Two of the kids are now in middle school, and what I was told in this forum, has come true about the school.

She has asked me to help her search because she puts in 60-70 hours per week at work and has crazy hours. Plus, she depends on her phone for everything.

Well...anyway...here is her criteria --- Rent: $1600/month (She knows she will have to pay utilities) but will go a little over that amount if she finds something suitable. She needs at least 2 bedrooms but would prefer 3. She needs at least 1 1/2 bathrooms. She needs a washer and dryer in unit, or at least hookups for them. Plus she needs to be either near a NJ Transit train stop or bus route that goes into Port Authority.

How far out from NYC would she have to go to find this---if it is even possible at all?

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 07:14 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
With a $1600 budget , I don't know if she'll find that in a place with much better schools than Hackensack.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
With a $1600 budget , I don't know if she'll find that in a place with much better schools than Hackensack.
She is finding the middle school to not be great at all. Plus, she lives 3 miles away from it and no school buses are provided. Is that par for the course in NJ? No matter how far a child may live from school, there are no school buses?

From a commuting standpoint, Hackensack isn't that far from NYC. However, with her budget, there is nothing decent available. They are bursting at the seams in their small apartment.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:52 PM

4,029 posts, read 3,637,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
She is finding the middle school to not be great at all. Plus, she lives 3 miles away from it and no school buses are provided. Is that par for the course in NJ? No matter how far a child may live from school, there are no school buses?

From a commuting standpoint, Hackensack isn't that far from NYC. However, with her budget, there is nothing decent available. They are bursting at the seams in their small apartment.
From what I've read on here, Morris County seems to be the place to go in the NYC metro area for more affordable housing and good schools. Not sure what the rental market is like there but may be worth a look.

Old 01-01-2017, 09:40 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,488 times
It might be possible to find something in Weehawken or Secaucus if you search hard. Buses are plenty, trains too in Secaucus, ferries too in Weehawken, and her commute would be shorter. I lived in Weehawken for two years and left because it didnt feel like a forever home and I wanted to start putting down roots somewhere else. The schools in Weehawken are very decent. We have a friend there, a single mother with two young kids and a job in NYC, and she loves it and plans to stay "forever."

Lyndhurst is also pretty close and commutable, and you might be able to find what she needs there in that range.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:49 PM

Thanks for the responses. I will certainly look into those suggestions!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:37 PM

414 posts, read 359,510 times
The Morris county towns with decent schools and somewhat tolerable commutes to NYC might be beyond the $1600 budget given the stated criteria (1.5 baths, washer/dryer). Most of the garden apartments in Parsippany are just one bathroom - a friend lived in one that allowed a washer hookup. Morristown, Madison and Chatham would be out of reach.

It might be possible to find a single family home in not so great shape in Parsippany, Denville or Rockaway within the budget - as far as I know all of those towns have bussing for schools (Parsippany definitely has bussing). 3 br town homes where I used to live in Parsippany that were rented out went for $2500-2700 / mo. West of Rockaway the commute into NYC would be brutal IMHO (I could barely tolerate the commute between Parsippany and NYC).

A previous poster suggested Lyndhust - that might be worth looking into along with Clifton. Both offer a better commute to NYC than Morris county. I can't vouch for the schools - they might just be on par with Hackensack, but they're not bottom of the barrel. Wayne, Little Falls, and Woodland Park might be worth looking into too if there are properties available within the price range.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:23 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,874 times
Look in Wayne, and surrounding neighborhoods:

Apartments for Rent in Wayne, NJ - 109 Rentals

I've heard Wayne has good schools, at least they should be better than Hackensack. There's a train station there, but I think most people take the bus. It's a lot more suburban than Hackensack but still has lots of shopping available.

Old 01-02-2017, 02:45 PM

4,181 posts, read 5,061,593 times
$1600 for a 5 person family is going to be tough.
Lodi, Garfield, Wood-Ridge, Carlstadt, that vicinity, might find something.

Old 01-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Thanks again for all the suggestions! I will look into them all. From what I've seen so far---she may have to bump up her budget a bit. So far, I found some places in Lyndhurst, East Orange and Carteret for her to consider. Each place is slightly over $100 extra when it comes to her rent requirements. I sent the links to her but with her crazy work hours, she hasn't responded with feedback yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey