Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,157,862 times

Advertisements

The chain has definitely filed bankruptcy, but looks like some of the locations are still open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM

614 posts, read 1,372,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always liked Steak and Ale better, but they bailed a few years ago.
Glad their dead along with their brother Bennigan's, who where both owned by the same company. Steak and Ale ....ahh yea the fond memories of going up to the salad bar to get salad and seeing a roach running away. I dropped my plate and said I'm not hungry I'm just going to sit down and wait for my dinner.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:10 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,624,197 times
My local CB was located in a gorgeous victorian home - now up for sale. i don't miss CB's, but I hope something positive happens to that house.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,359,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd72 View Post
Glad their dead along with their brother Bennigan's, who where both owned by the same company. Steak and Ale ....ahh yea the fond memories of going up to the salad bar to get salad and seeing a roach running away. I dropped my plate and said I'm not hungry I'm just going to sit down and wait for my dinner.
I have similar memories from CB and another oldie "Sizzler". Roach at CB, and half a butterfly dying in the lettuce at Sizzler.

I don't/won't miss either establishment.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:22 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,957,576 times
Quote:
LOL, let me get this right - you are disgusted at seeing the roach, so you go wait at your table for your food, somehow assuming the kitchen is cleaner than the salad bar?

btw, don't recall them being owned by same company.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,558,218 times
i havent had the pleasure to eat at charlie browns too many times. but whenever i have, i loved it.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:54 PM

614 posts, read 1,372,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
LOL, let me get this right - you are disgusted at seeing the roach, so you go wait at your table for your food, somehow assuming the kitchen is cleaner than the salad bar?

btw, don't recall them being owned by same company.
Yea well I was young then like 15 and well if it was cooked.... it must be dead! I don't like my roaches raw..haha

Steak and Ale and Benignans where owned by the same company.

New ownership
In October 2008, it Atalaya Capital Management announced that it would buy the assets of both the Bennigan's and Steak and Ale brands. The assets include the Bennigan's Franchising Co., which owned the rights to franchise the Bennigan's brand and was instrumental in keeping franchise-owned restaurants operating during the bankruptcy period. Joel Holsinger, managing director of the firm, said the company planned to reposition the brand by re-establishing its place in the high-margin bar segment and by focusing on sandwiches and appetizers. Holsinger also said the company planned to reopen 50 or 60 formerly company-owned Bennigan's locations by finding new or existing franchisees to operate the restaurants

Old 02-15-2011, 03:10 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,957,576 times
Quote:
Yea well I was young then like 15 and well if it was cooked.... it must be dead! I don't like my roaches raw..haha

Steak and Ale and Benignans where owned by the same company.

New ownership
In October 2008, it Atalaya Capital Management announced that it would buy the assets of both the Bennigan's and Steak and Ale brands. The assets include the Bennigan's Franchising Co., which owned the rights to franchise the Bennigan's brand and was instrumental in keeping franchise-owned restaurants operating during the bankruptcy period. Joel Holsinger, managing director of the firm, said the company planned to reposition the brand by re-establishing its place in the high-margin bar segment and by focusing on sandwiches and appetizers. Holsinger also said the company planned to reopen 50 or 60 formerly company-owned Bennigan's locations by finding new or existing franchisees to operate the restaurants
Yup, sorry, thought you were talking about Charlie Brown's.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,558,218 times
i love a big salad bar. every now and then ill meet my mom at the ruby tuesdays at monmouth mall. i try to get in 2 big plates of salad before my lunch arrives.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:43 PM

180 posts, read 602,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
The stool-warmer regulars on the right end of the Upper Montclair bar were quite the characters, they could have inspired the "Cheers" sitcom for all I know. I was acquainted with most of them.
That is because we only have 1 or 2 bqars in Montclair. I have to drive to Tierney's for a drink instead of just stumbling over to any place in Watchung plaza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey