Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 05:22 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times

Advertisements

Hello, NJ parents! I'm driving with my three kids, ages 7-14, boy-girl-boy, from Hartford CT to Baltimore, MD and back for a family celebration soon, during the day on a Friday. Need some suggestions for something to do for a couple of hours along the way to break up the drive, free or not too expensive. The weather will be in the 50's that day, so outdoors is fine. I'm not sure that I want to go into the city (NY) because of traffic and parking. Neither do I really want to drive into Philly, because of distance from the highway (I imagine I'll be taking the NJT, although I'm open to suggestions of other routes). Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 06:20 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
You will be driving right past New Brunswick. Depending on the kids' interests, there's Johnson's Park: Parks and Rec-Parks

Rutgers Campus is a nice place to walk around, as is the areas of George St and Easton Ave. Lots of shopping, eating etc to be had in that area.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
You can easily make I-95, the REAL I-95 that goes through Philadelphia a part of your trip. Doing that you also skip 1/2 the turnpike tolls and the Del Mem Br tolls. Let me know if you want directions. It's fairly easy and direct.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Swing through Princeton and then continue down the 'real' 95. Princeton has a nice downtown area with stores and restaurants -- if your kids (or you) like music, stop into the Princeton Record Exchange (Sell Used CDs & DVDs at 1 of Largest Music CD Stores, Record Stores) for tons of used cd's, dvd's, and lp's. The college is right there too.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:46 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Age 7-14? Maybe just stop for lunch somewhere. There is a Rain Forest Cafe in Edison at Menlo Park Mall. Then you could walk around the mall for a bit if you want.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:36 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
You can easily make I-95, the REAL I-95 that goes through Philadelphia a part of your trip. Doing that you also skip 1/2 the turnpike tolls and the Del Mem Br tolls. Let me know if you want directions. It's fairly easy and direct.
I've made the trip between Southern Vermont and Baltimore many times using this route. Saves good money on tolls, avoids NYC and is generally less crowded and stressful IMHO.

Princeton NJ might be a good place along this route to stop with the kids. It's the only stretch of the trip on which you're on non-interstate roads, so it would be where I choose to pull over for a time.

Captne76 is this your route?

Old 02-17-2011, 02:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Depending on the Weather, New Hope PA/Lambertville NJ might also be interesting, probably less so for the 7yo

Or maybe the Camden Aquarium

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-17-2011 at 03:20 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM

2,535 posts, read 6,667,644 times
I would stop in Jersey City at the Liberty Science Center. It's pretty cheap, pretty cool and it's right on the way/just off the freeway. It's also about 2.5 hours into the trip and just past all that 95/NYC traffic you'll probably hit. from 95 just take 78 east for 5 minutes and its right there. There is definitely enough there to keep both kids(and you) occupied for at least 2 hours, you could spend 2 days there. What the heck kind of 7 year old is going to find Princeton NJ cool? kids need to be entertained I highly recommend it.

Liberty Science Center | Home

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 02-17-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I've made the trip between Southern Vermont and Baltimore many times using this route. Saves good money on tolls, avoids NYC and is generally less crowded and stressful IMHO.

Princeton NJ might be a good place along this route to stop with the kids. It's the only stretch of the trip on which you're on non-interstate roads, so it would be where I choose to pull over for a time.

Captne76 is this your route?
Almost but not quite. Actually I was thinking of taking the NJ YankMyCrank (what I call the TurnPike) down to I-195 West, then NJ 29 to either US1 or the Alt US1 one block away which has a free bridge, then cross the Del River to PA and US1 Freeway takes you direct to I-95 about 10 minutes down near Langhorne.

As far as your route, I commuted that way years ago but did not take US206, instead I took a different road that follows a canal & river that has virtually no traffic and very few lights. You might then get back on 206 for a short piece in Princeton, then instead of staying on 206 I would take Princeton Pike to I-95.

As far as stopovers, New Hope PA is a good place to go, its a touristy village along the river, crowded on weekends. There is also a Sesame Place place for kids at the junction of US1 and I-95 around Langhorne, PA but I imagine that's more of an all day destination where you'd pay to get in and stay for a while. Don't even know if it's open in the winter, you'ld have to check their info.

All depends what you want to do. Could even go see the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc in Philly or for a short uncrowded stopover go to Washington's Crossing Park in PA where there is a large park & museum. That is usually uncrowded and lots of adjacent parkland to run around on. It's maybe 7 miles N of I-95 along the Del Riv and you can put it on your shortcut.

Now that I'm thinking about it, Washington's Crossing Park, which is both in NJ and PA on both sides of the river would work best in my opinion. There is a museum on the PA side and a few small deli's and a pizzeria nearby and probably wouldn't cost ou anything the go through the museum and run around the park. Also it's rural/suburban in setting and no problems parking, crowds, etc.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:17 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Age 7-14? Maybe just stop for lunch somewhere. There is a Rain Forest Cafe in Edison at Menlo Park Mall. Then you could walk around the mall for a bit if you want.
The food at Rain Forest is god awful. This coming from my daughter when she was about 7 and I agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey