U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM

12,331 posts, read 12,834,719 times
Cool Rise in ridership on PATH trains seen as sign of improving economy

Rise in ridership on PATH trains seen as sign of improving economy | NJ.com

This is not limited to the PATH , but the Light Rail systems have seen similar growth....it must be a slight improvement in the economy. It will be interesting to watch what happens to the PATH when Journal SQ starts getting redone , and Harrison's Redevelopment is completed. Harrison's project is a sign that the economy of this state has at least improved to a point where a mega project can start construction....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:58 PM

11,675 posts, read 8,315,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

This is not limited to the PATH , but the Light Rail systems have seen similar growth....it must be a slight improvement in the economy. It will be interesting to watch what happens to the PATH when Journal SQ starts getting redone , and Harrison's Redevelopment is completed. Harrison's project is a sign that the economy of this state has at least improved to a point where a mega project can start construction....
it was kinda eery in 2007/08/09 riding the PATH from Hoboken into the city, seeing a visable decrease in the number of people going into the city. it's impossible to even describe. but it was really disturbing how visable it was.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:33 PM

3,676 posts, read 2,401,284 times
I was going to say it proves how many H-1B visas are being issued. Most of these riders don't look to be from these parts...if you get my drift

Old 02-18-2011, 08:13 PM

17,229 posts, read 13,079,494 times
my traffic coming home from brooklyn seems to be less this year. i figure its the increase in the toll on the verrazano. great for me.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM

13 posts, read 7,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

OK, so when are they going to reverse all those ridiculous cuts they made to the HBLR in 2010? The elimination of the Hoboken-Tonnelle Ave. line on the weekends is what got people's attention, but they also made service frequency on all the lines worse. There should never be 30 minute waits between trains on any line at any time. That is just absurd, and makes "showing up at any time to the station" a risky proposition, because you might have a long wait.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM

12,331 posts, read 12,834,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Loosh View Post
OK, so when are they going to reverse all those ridiculous cuts they made to the HBLR in 2010? The elimination of the Hoboken-Tonnelle Ave. line on the weekends is what got people's attention, but they also made service frequency on all the lines worse. There should never be 30 minute waits between trains on any line at any time. That is just absurd, and makes "showing up at any time to the station" a risky proposition, because you might have a long wait.
Yea NJT should look at what Septa and MBTA run there light rail at....which is every 10 mins and 2-5 mins peak.... Ridership could be alot higher like the PATH if Frequency and a few other things along the Light Rail corridor were addressed... The Frequency of the HBLR off peak makes using the bus or walking a better choice.... But the PATH does not own the Light Rail although that might happen when its extended into SI.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
pvs

1,509 posts, read 1,509,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I was going to say it proves how many H-1B visas are being issued. Most of these riders don't look to be from these parts...if you get my drift
No ... I don't think I "get your drift". Would you care to elaborate a bit?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM

13 posts, read 7,801 times
I'll elaborate for him - he's a racist.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:34 PM

67 posts, read 155,062 times
theres no racism in that statement, I ride PATH daily and the fact of the matter is that just VISIBLY, and AUDIBLY (listening to language) the large majority, probably 9/10 of the rush hour commuters are foreign. It's not something you would even notice unless you choose to notice it, once you realize it, it's quite overwhelming.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,576,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesbarkley View Post
theres no racism in that statement, I ride PATH daily and the fact of the matter is that just VISIBLY, and AUDIBLY (listening to language) the large majority, probably 9/10 of the rush hour commuters are foreign. It's not something you would even notice unless you choose to notice it, once you realize it, it's quite overwhelming.
Hmm so lets say you've seen an increase of Asians talking in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian, etc...you automatically think they're from overseas with visas?

Gosh...its called diversity for starters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey