U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 PM

3,552 posts, read 2,232,532 times
The teachers caused the economic collapse, people, not the vermin on Wall Street. Let's lay teachers off and chop their benefits to make us all feel better.

Republicans have turned common sense on its head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
There are so many factors here, I don't think you can just take these two data points (average teacher salary and average house cost) and make these conclusions.

Really whats your conclusion? I know the great talking points that NJ teachers are among the highest paid in the country is great to use as an argument. So why then when actual fact are provided proving that they dont exactly have it so great is it not enough to prove anything?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:14 PM

11,403 posts, read 7,858,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Really whats your conclusion? I know the great talking points that NJ teachers are among the highest paid in the country is great to use as an argument. So why then when actual fact are provided proving that they dont exactly have it so great is it not enough to prove anything?
i think it's what is commonly said, but i don't think many people really believe that teachers make a whole lot when cost of living is concerned. sure, some teachers make $100k/yr, but they are the exception not the rule. i think there's definitely some waste in NJ but I would want to know if comparing to Wisconsin schools, how are their AP programs, sports programs, art and lit programs, etc. I still think a lot of NJ folk don't realize how great the public schools here are. the ones people consider "bad" here still blow a lot of other states out of the water. that stuff costs money!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 PM

89 posts, read 104,800 times
Just cruising by and happened to see the thread title. As a WI resident, I want to know where you get the idea that WI is a cheap state to live in? I know NJ is up there, but WI is, too. Of the six states I've lived in (PA, NC, GA, MI, KY, and WI), WI is by far the most expensive place tax-wise. Not sure what your property taxes are, but ours are over 2%, in addition to high state and county income taxes, and fees for everything under the sun. The pain is only going to get worse with the current $3 billion deficit.

As other posters have said, there is much more to the equation than salary. Plus, do you really want to be in a place that is taking away the teachers' union's collective bargaining rights?

Oh yeah, there's another reason housing is cheap here. Come visit in January/February (or October - April) and maybe you'll have an idea why... It's not called the Frozen Tundra for nothing.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:37 PM

17,055 posts, read 12,488,075 times
this is problem that is only going to get worse. the salaries and benefits are too good but the real back breaker of the regular taxpayer is the retirement benefits. those need to be eliminated.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,912,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin40 View Post

Plus, do you really want to be in a place that is taking away the teachers' union's collective bargaining rights?
Yes. I do.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:44 PM

the problem with collective bargaining rights and public employees is that the taxpayers arent fairly represented. with private companies, if the company gives too much to the unions they will go bankrupt (unless they get a government bailout). for government workers, the unions squeeze out overly generous salaries and benefits and they just take more taxes from taxpayers. they also use their political power as bargaining leverage which really isnt appropriate in a collective bargaining situation.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:53 PM

its funny how you have all these debates about how much teachers deserve based on the work they do. that means absolutely nothing. what matters is how much it would cost to keep a teacher working on the job in a stable manner so they will do what they are supposed to. i guarantee i can find people to do it much cheaper than the government is able to.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:54 PM

17,580 posts, read 18,306,217 times
Who give a carp about what teachers are being paid in Wisconsin?

Old 02-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Who give a carp about what teachers are being paid in Wisconsin?
this is an issue that is going to be addressed everywhere. i just read an article in the community reporter and it said in asbury park public school students cost about $24k per year average. the overall average in nj is around $14k per year per student. these costs will grow like nobody believes as time goes on due to retirement costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey