U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM

12,545 posts, read 18,430,065 times

Advertisements

read the wpri one, looks promising at least. seems to be that it's still not clear, according to that author. but in general, students are doing better across the board.

"Midway through our longitudinal study there is reason for disappointment but also reason for assurance. We haven’t uncovered clear evidence that choice students are learning at higher rates than other MPS students. We do know, however, that all Milwaukee students are benefiting academically from the competitive pressures of the voucher program."

looks like they are excited to have more data and analyze it further though. thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:08 PM

19,891 posts, read 16,311,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
read the wpri one, looks promising at least. seems to be that it's still not clear, according to that author. but in general, students are doing better across the board.

"Midway through our longitudinal study there is reason for disappointment but also reason for assurance. We haven’t uncovered clear evidence that choice students are learning at higher rates than other MPS students. We do know, however, that all Milwaukee students are benefiting academically from the competitive pressures of the voucher program."

looks like they are excited to have more data and analyze it further though. thanks again!
If you read the other link you will find the data he was waiting for.

Decreased cost and significant increases in graduation rates as well as improving public schools. A win all around, except for unions. That is why we are unlikely to see it spread. Obama killed it in DC because of union opposition. A real disgrace.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If you read the other link you will find the data he was waiting for.

Decreased cost and significant increases in graduation rates as well as improving public schools. A win all around, except for unions. That is why we are unlikely to see it spread. Obama killed it in DC because of union opposition. A real disgrace.
eh, there's more to it than that i think. i'm going to listen to this full interview tomorrow but here's a short story on npr about michelle rhee:

Former D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee Aims To Put 'StudentsFirst' : NPR

Old 02-27-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
eh, there's more to it than that i think. i'm going to listen to this full interview tomorrow but here's a short story on npr about michelle rhee:

Former D.C. Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee Aims To Put 'StudentsFirst' : NPR
She is impressive. Christie tried to get her to come here.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 2,970,982 times
Quote:
She is impressive. Christie tried to get her to come here.

She has also told some impressive lies. Check them out yourself. Sorta of stretched some truths or just lied depending on whose side you are on.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
She has also told some impressive lies. Check them out yourself. Sorta of stretched some truths or just lied depending on whose side you are on.
Please link. I haven't read anything to indicate she is less than truthful.

Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM

16,587 posts, read 14,063,191 times
Quote:
Please link. I haven't read anything to indicate she is less than truthful.
She lied when she stated that when she was a teacher she raised test scores of her students from 13th percentile to 90th percentile. She has also repeatedly used this number to place herself in the light of an expert on education reform both in the public and on her own resume. Unfortunately she either completely made it up or does not understand basic statistics.

Rhee faces renewed scrutiny over depiction of students' progress when she taught

The Rhee Miracle Examined Again – By Cohort « GFBrandenburg's Blog

She also lied when she said "I got rid of teachers who had hit children, who had had sex with children, who had missed 78 days of school," in response to laying of 228 teachers for SOLELY BUDGETARY REASONS. Only one of those teachers laid off was accused of any misconduct on any level.

Update: Michelle Rhee vs. the D.C. Teachers' Union | Fast Company
Rhee says laid-off teachers in D.C. abused kids - washingtonpost.com

Its really no big deal as long as we remember that first and foremost Michelle Rhee is a POLITICIAN and not an expert on education. Politicians are not expected to give unbiased opinions but researchers are.

My only issue with Ms. Rhee is her continuing to place herself as an expert on education based on her success as both a teacher and administrator. The modest gains made in DC were a group effort and not hers by any stretch.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
She lied when she stated that when she was a teacher she raised test scores of her students from 13th percentile to 90th percentile. She has also repeatedly used this number to place herself in the light of an expert on education reform both in the public and on her own resume. Unfortunately she either completely made it up or does not understand basic statistics.

Well that's not true. From your own link.

"Rhee, who resigned last year as chancellor, denied fabricating anything about her record and said Brandenburg's conclusion was unfounded. But she acknowledged this week that she could have described her accomplishments differently in 2007, when then-Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) selected her to be chancellor."

Rhee faces renewed scrutiny over depiction of students' progress when she taught

Quote:
Its really no big deal as long as we remember that first and foremost Michelle Rhee is a POLITICIAN and not an expert on education. Politicians are not expected to give unbiased opinions but researchers are.

My only issue with Ms. Rhee is her continuing to place herself as an expert on education based on her success as both a teacher and administrator. The modest gains made in DC were a group effort and not hers by any stretch.

It is common for those defending the status quo to try to tear down anyone who will try to look out for the best interest of the kids and that is what we are seeing here.

Last edited by shorebaby; 02-27-2011 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 PM

16,587 posts, read 14,063,191 times
Quote:
Well that's not true. From your own link.
The second link shows her actual numbers. Forgive me if I am unsurprised you ignored it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:

The Rhee Miracle Examined Again – By Cohort « GFBrandenburg's Blog

She also lied when she said "I got rid of teachers who had hit children, who had had sex with children, who had missed 78 days of school," in response to laying of 228 teachers for SOLELY BUDGETARY REASONS. Only one of those teachers laid off was accused of any misconduct on any level.

Update: Michelle Rhee vs. the D.C. Teachers' Union | Fast Company
Rhee says laid-off teachers in D.C. abused kids - washingtonpost.com

what makes her a politician? i think she did a lot of great things in D.C. she's not perfect, but i also think the organization she started, StudentsFirst, is a good thing. will i agree with everything she does? no...but she has some great ideas.

here's another link:

Michelle Rhee Wants to Spend $1 Billion Fixing Education | Fast Company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey