Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,977 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've previously lived in NJ for most of my life with my parents and for a brief while on my own (West New York/North Bergen area mostly). After moving to Florida to help my parents with their failing health for a few years, I am hoping to come back to NJ to finish my bachelors degree at NJIT. In any event, I'm wondering what are people's opinion on a relatively safe city/town near Newark or near transportation to Newark? I have no delusions about the safety of Newark and while I love NJIT and believe its a great school, I have no desire to find an apartment in Newark if I reasonably avoid it. Despite the fact that the rent is dirt cheap compared to other places. I'm wondering what are other people's ideas on where I can find a relatively nice/safe place where I can find a studio or shared housing for somewhere in the vicinity of $600ish? I've been looking for some places in the West New York/North Bergen area but have had no luck and the only places I've found to be in my price range are in Newark or East Orange, neither of which I'd feel particularly comfortable moving to. So I'm trying to branch out but don't know what is would be a decent place to try to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litewraith View Post
Hello all,

I've previously lived in NJ for most of my life with my parents and for a brief while on my own (West New York/North Bergen area mostly). After moving to Florida to help my parents with their failing health for a few years, I am hoping to come back to NJ to finish my bachelors degree at NJIT. In any event, I'm wondering what are people's opinion on a relatively safe city/town near Newark or near transportation to Newark? I have no delusions about the safety of Newark and while I love NJIT and believe its a great school, I have no desire to find an apartment in Newark if I reasonably avoid it. Despite the fact that the rent is dirt cheap compared to other places. I'm wondering what are other people's ideas on where I can find a relatively nice/safe place where I can find a studio or shared housing for somewhere in the vicinity of $600ish? I've been looking for some places in the West New York/North Bergen area but have had no luck and the only places I've found to be in my price range are in Newark or East Orange, neither of which I'd feel particularly comfortable moving to. So I'm trying to branch out but don't know what is would be a decent place to try to look.
check out harrison, bloomfield, belleville

Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 PM

67 posts, read 344,092 times
As usual, Kort is right on the money..
I would add that you don't have to be so afraid of Newark. Some parts of North Newark, especially the parts that border Belleville, and Bloomfield are decent choices as well.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:45 PM

28 posts, read 102,226 times
Loving and NJIT in the same sentence, wow..

Old 07-23-2007, 04:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Check out University Centre, which is a privately owned student housing facility right across the street from NJIT. The construction company I worked for built it, and the rooms and common spaces are far nicer than any dorm room I've ever seen, and nicer than any apartment you'll get for $600 in nearby towns. They've got some shared room setups that you can get into for around $600/month.

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 04:48 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondSoundClash View Post
Before you start dissing NJIT again, why don't you try attending a semester there (or anywhere, for that matter) and formulate your own opinion based on fact, rather than on a few internet blogs posted by students who didn't do well there?

Bob

Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondSoundClash View Post
I know alot of people have issues with the school. But all the complaints are based around 2 things. One that it has a heavily male student body, which is not something that bothers me in the least other than on the "Why?" level, and secondly that the school has no major social areas/activities, which doesn't concern me in the least either, I work full-time and go to school full-time, I don't particularly have time for any kind of social activity. What IS of importance to me is the level of academic quality, basically if I learn alot walking away from my classes. And to that I can say yes. I've had a list of professors whom I liked and who actually cared about their various student's individual achievement, including my own. Now granted there are some professors/teachers there who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a classroom, but that not something new and unique to this school. In EVERY school I've attended since Grade school there was always a few teachers where it seemed blazingly obvious they should never have pursued that career path. So yes, I love the school, and I make no apologies for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey