U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM

592 posts, read 1,881,508 times

Advertisements

Cant help but feel angry at the state of our government.

China builts the world's longest bridge.
vs
USA (NJ) cancels the much needed tunnel linking NJ to NYC.

China's bridge is 27 miles long
vs
USA's proposed tunnel is <2 miles long

China took 4 years from start to finish to build the bridge
vs
USA took 5 years and $700million to come up with a **** PLAN, only to get canceled before construction starts.

How did we manage to get ourselves here?

Qindao Haiwan Bridge: world's longest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJqVfsr_Zg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 12:19 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,009,145 times
And , we have a New Improve project that will serve the entire NE ...instead of a project of a terribly flawed plan that would be doomed within 10 years. You cannot compare a bridge to a tunnel 2 different cost factors..... There is at least 200 miles of restored Rail / Light Rail planned for NJ and the Lower Hudson Valley for this decade alone if that makes you feel better....those projects have a 96% chance of not being canceled....

Last edited by DarkWolf; 02-21-2011 at 12:52 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 02:51 AM

13,140 posts, read 13,918,440 times
For starters, get the US workers to settle for Chinese wages, working conditions and labor rights (if they even exist over there) plus do away with any and all EPA related niceties and I'll bet we can build tunnels to everywhere.

Even to your home.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:44 AM

505 posts, read 2,068,813 times
Not to mention that Jersey was footing most of the bill and NYC was going to get a huge portion of revenue from it in the form of easier commuting to NYC for employees, shoppers and tourists. NYC didn't want to put any $$$ up for it...no thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 13,533,734 times
Perhaps if we didn't send all our money to China buying goods that used to be made here we could build our tunnel.

I get really tired of hearing what China is doing when it is our fault not theirs that our workforce is being reduced while their workforce and economy is expanding.
The only people here who care are those losing their jobs to overseas workers.

Not one politician, Democrat or Republican will address the problem of sending work out of the country.
All we need are more people working here and paying taxes and less people on public assistance and all our money problems will be solved.

We have a corrupt Mexican govt. that can't stop the drug trade to the US yet we still allow American owned companies to operate in Mexico and hire Mexicans to manufacture and sell those products in the US.

Cry all you want about the Chinese but it is our govt. in the pockets of big business that is hurting our country.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
For starters, get the US workers to settle for Chinese wages, working conditions and labor rights (if they even exist over there) plus do away with any and all EPA related niceties and I'll bet we can build tunnels to everywhere.

Even to your home.
It makes me sad just reading those responses. Keep making up excuses to justify the incompetence and waste.

We as a nation are buried so deep in a tangled legal system, to get anything done you need to get through layers and layers of political bs and paper pushing, all costing tens and hundreds of millions $. And the really sad part is, we as citizens come to expect this process as the norm. If it was china they would built that tunnel in 2 years at fraction of the cost. There are more than 5 tunnels and 4 bridges linking two sides of shanghai (similar to nj/manhattan), all built in the last 10 years. Yes the wages in china is low, but so is the cost of living (no property tax, <$1 for dinner etc..).

It's people like you with your unions and epa "niceties" that dragged this country to a standstill.

Last edited by gagaliya; 02-21-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

17,579 posts, read 37,011,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

It's people like you with your unions and epa "niceties" that dragged this country to a standstill.
Do you also think we should be able to pay someone a few bucks a day to to work in a factory and disregard safety issues for those employees?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM

2,661 posts, read 4,285,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
It makes me sad just reading those responses. Keep making up excuses to justify the incompetence and waste.

We as a nation are buried so deep in a tangled legal system, to get anything done you need to get through layers and layers of political bs and paper pushing, all costing tens and hundreds of millions $. And the really sad part is, we as citizens come to expect this process as the norm. If it was china they would built that tunnel in 2 years at fraction of the cost. There are more than 5 tunnels and 4 bridges linking two sides of shanghai (similar to nj/manhattan), all built in the last 10 years. Yes the wages in china is low, but so is the cost of living (no property tax, <$1 for dinner etc..).

I am not in the NY/NJ area but just saw this post and had to comment- I agree 100%! My wife is from China, and she is just dumbstruck at the fact that it took 3 years to widen one measely freeway overpass in our neighborhood. She comments that this would have been done in weeks back in China, and she's not exaggerating.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:53 AM

12,381 posts, read 22,009,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I am not in the NY/NJ area but just saw this post and had to comment- I agree 100%! My wife is from China, and she is just dumbstruck at the fact that it took 3 years to widen one measely freeway overpass in our neighborhood. She comments that this would have been done in weeks back in China, and she's not exaggerating.
Well they don't care about safety.....so that project probably killed 5-10 ppl....

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM

Like i said, keep bury our head in the sand and justifying the incompetence.

Maybe in some small rural private projects the safety is not as good as us. But on those large infrastructure projects, safety is no better or worse than usa. For wages it was already stated, yes they are low but so is cost of living over there. Government publish the wage rate, if contractors like the rate they apply and get to work. What's so unfair about that?

At the end of the day, they built the world's longest bridge in 4 years, we spent 5 years and $700mil to come up with a plan to build a 2 mile tunnel...for cancellation.

And this is really not about china, but it sure is easier to point at some preconceived negatives of someone else's success instead of looking at our own failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or