Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 10:47 AM

191 posts, read 698,184 times

Advertisements

Hoping someone can offer some direction - we have a family living next door that has been section 8 for about 15 years in the same apartment, mother, grown daughter and their revolving boyfriends/husbands occupy the 2 BR. Currently the mom works part time at a taxi company, daughter just graduated college and is a teacher’s assistant and her boyfriend is a pizza delivery boy. In the past year, the two younger ones have purchased 2 brand new cars (pizza boy is now delivering in a 2011 shiny red Camarro???) They only eat McDs and are home most of the time - I'm not trying to be a busybody but as hard working property owners who pay way too much in NJ taxes, I think I have a right to question how they have 2 new cars and get their rent paid by other people.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about reporting them to Section 8, who to call and what to say in order to initiative an investigation?

Any info would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Well, do they bother you? If they don't bother you, I would leave it alone. You don't know their finances and you might get neighbors that are worse.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:58 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post
Hoping someone can offer some direction - we have a family living next door that has been section 8 for about 15 years in the same apartment, mother, grown daughter and their revolving boyfriends/husbands occupy the 2 BR. Currently the mom works part time at a taxi company, daughter just graduated college and is a teacher’s assistant and her boyfriend is a pizza delivery boy. In the past year, the two younger ones have purchased 2 brand new cars (pizza boy is now delivering in a 2011 shiny red Camarro???) They only eat McDs and are home most of the time - I'm not trying to be a busybody but as hard working property owners who pay way too much in NJ taxes, I think I have a right to question how they have 2 new cars and get their rent paid by other people.

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about reporting them to Section 8, who to call and what to say in order to initiative an investigation?

What exactly will you be reporting? More than likely in order for her to remain in the 2 bdr apt, she had to provide information on her adult childrens finances, otherwise should we have been downgraded to a 1 brd.

What are they doing that is disturbing your peace to the point that you know so much about the goings on in their house hold?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
doesnt sound like you really know enough to report anything. start following them and seeing where they go and what they are up to. go through their garbage to see if they have anything incriminating in there. good luck!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
doesnt sound like you really know enough to report anything. start following them and seeing where they go and what they are up to. go through their garbage to see if they have anything incriminating in there. good luck!
And wear a fake mustache in case they see you.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM

379 posts, read 512,749 times
I'm not sure, but your situation sounds like where I live. First, they don't pay for heat, so even now in the middle of winter, I see several windows open, and I mean open like 10". They keep their windows open and I can see nice furniture, a flat screen TV at least 50", they have Direct TV ( I can't afford this), and at least 2 nice cars. One is a new Mini, one is a brand new Altima with 20 " rims.

The one guy claims to be disabled, but in reality, he's just obese. I see McDonalds going into the apartment all the time. They are loud and obnoxious and there is always drama coming from the apartment- cops have been here many times before to break up domestic disturbances.

Sad part is, the one time I said hello to the guy, he told me to watch my car because there are a lot of people "in the area" that rob cars like mine. Made me feel very uneasy. When I asked what he did for a living, he stated that he's on the "Obama Plan".

Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

Oh Captain, my Captain.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:24 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
the are selling drugs on the side. I know one who is the same as you mentioned. They sell drugs. Its a nice underground income.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:45 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
I'm not sure, but your situation sounds like where I live. First, they don't pay for heat, so even now in the middle of winter, I see several windows open, and I mean open like 10". They keep their windows open and I can see nice furniture, a flat screen TV at least 50", they have Direct TV ( I can't afford this), and at least 2 nice cars. One is a new Mini, one is a brand new Altima with 20 " rims.

The one guy claims to be disabled, but in reality, he's just obese. I see McDonalds going into the apartment all the time. They are loud and obnoxious and there is always drama coming from the apartment- cops have been here many times before to break up domestic disturbances.

Sad part is, the one time I said hello to the guy, he told me to watch my car because there are a lot of people "in the area" that rob cars like mine. Made me feel very uneasy. When I asked what he did for a living, he stated that he's on the "Obama Plan".
Not every disability is "visible". A person doesn't have to be in a wheelchair to be disabled. There are tons of neurological conditions that don't have any visual characteristics. Ever heard of autism?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len-NJ View Post

Just mind your own business. It doesn't do you any good if they were forced out. You might get nasty neighbor for the good job you did.

If you want to fix it, then fix the system. The system is corrupted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey