Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Politicians pay more attention to South Jersey?
Yes 8 21.05%
No 20 52.63%
I'm from North Jersey, I could careless about S. Jersey 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:31 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
can someone, pray tell, explain to me what "steak" I'm getting? I pay more (in general) than someone in South Jersey so it just seems commiserate. even though i'm not sure what you guys are lacking in that we up north are bathing in. i think i need to go revisit a thread on this. i think this is more an inferiority complex than anything (no offense).
well, the further south you go, the less public transportation dollars they get, i would assume. but what do they need? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:45 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, the further south you go, the less public transportation dollars they get, i would assume. but what do they need? lol
they have the Riverline and rail to Atlantic City (relatively new), which is more than I have.

I've got my A1 ready for that steak I'm apparently getting!

Old 02-23-2011, 01:51 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
they have the Riverline and rail to Atlantic City (relatively new), which is more than I have.

I've got my A1 ready for that steak I'm apparently getting!
A1? you don't eat good steak do you? lol

Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Quote:
can someone, pray tell, explain to me what "steak" I'm getting? I pay more (in general) than someone in South Jersey so it just seems commiserate. even though i'm not sure what you guys are lacking in that we up north are bathing in. i think i need to go revisit a thread on this. i think this is more an inferiority complex than anything (no offense).
It was simply a general statement about the way things unfold in the state. While it is true you "pay more in general", you don't pay anymore to the state than someone living in South Jersey. There are several ways that South Jersey gets "screwed" on funding. Most obvious is transportation funding for highways and rails. The next is education funding. Out of the 31 Abbott Districts, 8 are in South Jersey, the remaining 23 are in North Jersey and with the exception of Camden, ours are relative peanuts compared to the size and cost of the ones in North Jersey.

It's not sour grapes at all, so don't take it that way, just pointing out that there are some discrepencies in allocation of state money. It is next to impossible to get the exact distribution figures, but I think it is a fair statement to say that folks in South Jersey only get back change for every dollar they send to the state. It may be .80 cents or it might be .95 cents, but there is a disparity.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
how long has it been? it took 30+ years for 287 and 24 in Northern NJ to be completed - so much for preferential treatment!
30 years.

Well, since you brought that up, the mess of an intersection of 42 & 295 was another promise. That mess has been there since the 60s.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:09 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Can someone please tell me why there is NO exit for 30/NJ Turnpike or 42/Atlantic City Expressway (SJ's version of the Turnpike) on the NJ Turnpike? I find that an even bigger slap to the face to South Jersey than the messy 42 & 295 intersection!

Old 02-24-2011, 07:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Can someone please tell me why there is NO exit for 30/NJ Turnpike or 42/Atlantic City Expressway (SJ's version of the Turnpike) on the NJ Turnpike? I find that an even bigger slap to the face to South Jersey than the messy 42 & 295 intersection!
why would you take the Turnpike when 295 runs parallel? I never understood this, I chuckle when I look over to my left going southbound and see all the ppl on the Tkpe.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
why would you take the Turnpike when 295 runs parallel? I never understood this, I chuckle when I look over to my left going southbound and see all the ppl on the Tkpe.
295 runs only parallel up to a certain point. If you want to go farther north then Trenton, then you have to take the Turnpike. At that point, you mind as well have been on the Turnpike the whole time. I don't see why there can't be an exit built for rt. 30 and rt. 42. (Wait a minute, I thought the state wanted us to give them toll money? Guess NJ doesn't need it after all!)

Plus, the Turnpike is closer to someone coming from Atlantic County than say 295 is. When you're on the AC expressway/42 (going towards Philly), you'll see a sign that says Tpk at exit 12 (for 168 north); you have to take that exit (which turns into a two lane road-one lane on each side with traffic lights) to get to the actual Turnpike ramp. You lose time on the commute, especially if you have to get somewhere asap. Now that doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited by stressedCollegeGirl89; 02-24-2011 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: misspelling & additive info

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Hi StressedCollegeGirl,

The first few exits on the Turnpike from the southern terminus were the first ones completed, historically, back in 1951. Rt 42, which turns into the Atlantic City Expressway, was not expanded from Williamstown until about 10 years later. Hence, there was no road to hook the exit up to at the time!

I don't know how I know this, other than the fact that I have about 130 historical road maps stowed away in my closet that I take out and read every so often!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hi StressedCollegeGirl,

The first few exits on the Turnpike from the southern terminus were the first ones completed, historically, back in 1951. Rt 42, which turns into the Atlantic City Expressway, was not expanded from Williamstown until about 10 years later. Hence, there was no road to hook the exit up to at the time!

I don't know how I know this, other than the fact that I have about 130 historical road maps stowed away in my closet that I take out and read every so often!
Thanks for the information, Mike!

But they've had about 50 years to create an exit for rt. 42 and US rt. 30. The state probably lost lots of toll change over the years (that stuff adds up!) by not making the Turnpike exit accessible to those highways. There will always be people like me who are in a hurry and don't mind paying extra just to get somewhere faster. Only in NJ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey