U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Will Politicians pay more attention to South Jersey?
Yes 8 21.62%
No 19 51.35%
I'm from North Jersey, I could careless about S. Jersey 10 27.03%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
12,286 posts, read 11,580,105 times
Reputation: 3906
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
295 runs only parallel up to a certain point. If you want to go farther north then Trenton, then you have to take the Turnpike. At that point, you mind as well have been on the Turnpike the whole time. I don't see why there can't be an exit built for rt. 30 and rt. 42. (Wait a minute, I thought the state wanted us to give them toll money? Guess NJ doesn't need it after all!)

Plus, the Turnpike is closer to someone coming from Atlantic County than say 295 is. When you're on the AC expressway/42 (going towards Philly), you'll see a sign that says Tpk at exit 12 (for 168 north); you have to take that exit (which turns into a two lane road-one lane on each side with traffic lights) to get to the actual Turnpike ramp. You lose time on the commute, especially if you have to get somewhere asap. Now that doesn't make much sense to me.
When going north, take 295 to 206 in Bordentown. It's simple to get on the Tpke at exit 7.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM
 
13,569 posts, read 14,903,955 times
Reputation: 11526
295 and the Turnpike are parallel from the beginning at the base of the Delaware Memorial Bridge all the way up to what is exit 7 on the Turnpike in Bordentown. It's an easy change over to take 295 north to Bordentown and then switch or take the Turnpike south and then switch. It saves you about a $1.50 or so. The only time the Turnpike makes a lot of sense is when 295 is backed up.

As for getting to 30 or the AC Expressway from the Turnpike, the easiest thing to do is get off at exit 3 which is 168 and then drive about a mile to get to 295. Head north to go to 30 and head south to the split to pick up 42 and get to the AC Expressway. Coming from the AC Expressway, there is no reason you need to take the Turnpike at all and can just get on 295 in either direction.

An interchange at the intersection of the Turnpike and 42 would make sense, but where they cross is essentially the middle of Runnemede Lake and a creek. I don't think there is enough land there to be able to build the interchange without filling in the creek. Same problem with where they cross at Route 30, there just isn't enough space to do it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 10,730,117 times
Reputation: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Thanks for the information, Mike!

But they've had about 50 years to create an exit for rt. 42 and US rt. 30. The state probably lost lots of toll change over the years (that stuff adds up!) by not making the Turnpike exit accessible to those highways. There will always be people like me who are in a hurry and don't mind paying extra just to get somewhere faster. Only in NJ!
The problem was/is that the exit that was created WAS in fact, the original rt 42, back in 1951. It's now 168, and was re-designated that number in the 60s. The original intent of the Turnpike engineers was the correct one, as that was the main thoroughfare from AC to Camden, at the time. Of course, as you've stated, now there are several.

I think this speaks to the ability of a toll road being more problematic when it comes to generating new exits. An free, interstate highway, generally speaking, has many, many more exits than does a toll road. In this case, Rt 42 and Rt 168 run under the turnpike literally 1 mile apart from each other. Therefore, you are requesting the Turnpike to generate another exit ramp one mile from the original one to accommodate the change that occurred subsequent to 1951.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
 
Location: 38 38' 45" N, -90 20' 08" W
7,646 posts, read 10,730,117 times
Reputation: 6159
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
295 and the Turnpike are parallel from the beginning at the base of the Delaware Memorial Bridge all the way up to what is exit 7 on the Turnpike in Bordentown. It's an easy change over to take 295 north to Bordentown and then switch or take the Turnpike south and then switch. It saves you about a $1.50 or so. The only time the Turnpike makes a lot of sense is when 295 is backed up.

As for getting to 30 or the AC Expressway from the Turnpike, the easiest thing to do is get off at exit 3 which is 168 and then drive about a mile to get to 295. Head north to go to 30 and head south to the split to pick up 42 and get to the AC Expressway. Coming from the AC Expressway, there is no reason you need to take the Turnpike at all and can just get on 295 in either direction.

An interchange at the intersection of the Turnpike and 42 would make sense, but where they cross is essentially the middle of Runnemede Lake and a creek. I don't think there is enough land there to be able to build the interchange without filling in the creek. Same problem with where they cross at Route 30, there just isn't enough space to do it.
That's an excellent point, Goat. Runnemede Lake literally resides next to the crossing of 42/Turnpike. That's an additional obstacle, the Army Corps of Engineers would have to butt heads with the NJDOT. It would be a complete cluster$%^.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,165 posts, read 986,744 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The problem was/is that the exit that was created WAS in fact, the original rt 42, back in 1951. It's now 168, and was re-designated that number in the 60s. The original intent of the Turnpike engineers was the correct one, as that was the main thoroughfare from AC to Camden, at the time. Of course, as you've stated, now there are several.

I think this speaks to the ability of a toll road being more problematic when it comes to generating new exits. An free, interstate highway, generally speaking, has many, many more exits than does a toll road. In this case, Rt 42 and Rt 168 run under the turnpike literally 1 mile apart from each other. Therefore, you are requesting the Turnpike to generate another exit ramp one mile from the original one to accommodate the change that occurred subsequent to 1951.
So what is now 168 was once 42? I did not know that. Now it makes sense why there was an exit there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
That's an excellent point, Goat. Runnemede Lake literally resides next to the crossing of 42/Turnpike. That's an additional obstacle, the Army Corps of Engineers would have to butt heads with the NJDOT. It would be a complete cluster$%^.
That is understandable. I can see the problem if they created an exit there.

Thank you guys for clearing things up.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 06:10 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 2,052,705 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
they have the Riverline and rail to Atlantic City (relatively new), which is more than I have.

I've got my A1 ready for that steak I'm apparently getting!
It's more than what I have too! Oh wait, I also live in South Jersey and don't have the option of taking the Morris and Essex Lines, the Montclair-Booton Line, the Main and Bergan Lines, the Pascoc Valley Line, the North East Corridor, the North Jersey Coast Line, Rairiton Valley Line, Amtrak, PATH, Newark Light Rail, or Hudson Bergan Light rail.


Did I mention that the nearest train station on the Atlantic City Line is over half an hour away, and that the only bus, which is not walking distance from my house and has no parking lots, is ridiculously slow and drops you off at Walter Rand, the most frightening transportation center I've ever been to?

Guess I should start gnawing at that bone...



...whenever they get around to throwing it.



As for the Expressway-Turnpike thing, that makes more sense now, but the whole 295/42 interchange is legendary, and my girlfriend lives at the end of Rt. 55, you have no idea how bad that gets in the summer.


edit: Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, I'm just really annoyed at the lack of transit that we have.

Last edited by jknic; 02-26-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,165 posts, read 986,744 times
Reputation: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It's more than what I have too! Oh wait, I also live in South Jersey and don't have the option of taking the Morris and Essex Lines, the Montclair-Booton Line, the Main and Bergan Lines, the Pascoc Valley Line, the North East Corridor, the North Jersey Coast Line, Rairiton Valley Line, Amtrak, PATH, Newark Light Rail, or Hudson Bergan Light rail.


Did I mention that the nearest train station on the Atlantic City Line is over half an hour away, and that the only bus, which is not walking distance from my house and has no parking lots, is ridiculously slow and drops you off at Walter Rand, the most frightening transportation center I've ever been to?

Guess I should start gnawing at that bone...



...whenever they get around to throwing it.



As for the Expressway-Turnpike thing, that makes more sense now, but the whole 295/42 interchange is legendary, and my girlfriend lives at the end of Rt. 55, you have no idea how bad that gets in the summer.


edit: Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, I'm just really annoyed at the lack of transit that we have.
Me too! Christie as well as previous NJ governors must think South Jersey is just nothing but farms and Pine Barrens (except for the Philly and AC suburbs) LOL! Apparently no one lives in South Jersey or that we don't need much public transit.

Although, I will say that I am very lucky to live in a town right on the AC rail line. I don't know what SJ county you live in, but apparently there is a proposed rail service that's supposed to help serve Milville to some station on either the AC or on the River line in like the next 20 years or so. I'll let Nexis explain this one. Take it away Nexis4Jersey!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 AM
 
1,608 posts, read 2,052,705 times
Reputation: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Me too! Christie as well as previous NJ governors must think South Jersey is just nothing but farms and Pine Barrens (except for the Philly and AC suburbs) LOL! Apparently no one lives in South Jersey or that we don't need much public transit.

Although, I will say that I am very lucky to live in a town right on the AC rail line. I don't know what SJ county you live in, but apparently there is a proposed rail service that's supposed to help serve Milville to some station on either the AC or on the River line in like the next 20 years or so. I'll let Nexis explain this one. Take it away Nexis4Jersey!

I live just north of Millville in Vineland, and it's not going to serve us, they stopped it at Glassboro, and I'm rather ticked about it, because it clearly shows a lack of understanding regarding this region. More or less, the light rail they're building is a shuttle for Rowan between Glassboro and their new Camden campus.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 12:55 AM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,290 posts, read 12,359,855 times
Reputation: 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
Me too! Christie as well as previous NJ governors must think South Jersey is just nothing but farms and Pine Barrens (except for the Philly and AC suburbs) LOL! Apparently no one lives in South Jersey or that we don't need much public transit.

Although, I will say that I am very lucky to live in a town right on the AC rail line. I don't know what SJ county you live in, but apparently there is a proposed rail service that's supposed to help serve Milville to some station on either the AC or on the River line in like the next 20 years or so. I'll let Nexis explain this one. Take it away Nexis4Jersey!
Well you will get a Transfer station for the Riverline to AC line , that opens in 2 years. Theres a plan to create a nice network over the next 20 years servicing at least 80% of South Jersey. Cleaning up Camden and making it attractive will accelerate that.... Lines will happen in phases like the Millville line , will be built in 2 phases , the Glassboro , then the Millville extension. Then the Salem line , Penns Grove line , Mt. Holly Branch , West Trenton line.....

NJT bought up alot of tracks in SJ when the private RR's started sinking....so they own 70% of the tracks in SJ already. Form what i'm told , NJT hopes to restore the Cape May line with Branches to Wildwood and Ocean City later this decade , construct the West Trenton extension of the Riverline , the Glassboro / Millville line....thats it for this decade but its alot. There will also be a Bus Rapid Transit system in Atlantic City connecting to surrounding areas....

The Riverline is a hybrid of a Light Rail / commuter line , NJT did that so they could run it on the streets of Camden and Trenton instead of building around those cities..... Aside form the West Trenton extension , there will be no more street running segments , so the Penns Grove , Mt. Holly , Millville lines will be fast like the AC line. There will be Transfer stations built on the AC line , so you can transfer to the Cape May line , Riverline , Mt. Holly lines...

Frequnecy will hopefully one day be reduced on the Riverline to 5 mins peak and 15-30mins off peak , same for extensions.... The AC line and future lines will see hourly service , with 2 peak trains..... Its less then the North , but decent...

South Jersey Transit proposals and plans - Google Maps
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
11,507 posts, read 19,929,597 times
Reputation: 4320
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
It's more than what I have too! Oh wait, I also live in South Jersey and don't have the option of taking the Morris and Essex Lines, the Montclair-Booton Line, the Main and Bergan Lines, the Pascoc Valley Line, the North East Corridor, the North Jersey Coast Line, Rairiton Valley Line, Amtrak, PATH, Newark Light Rail, or Hudson Bergan Light rail.


Did I mention that the nearest train station on the Atlantic City Line is over half an hour away, and that the only bus, which is not walking distance from my house and has no parking lots, is ridiculously slow and drops you off at Walter Rand, the most frightening transportation center I've ever been to?

Guess I should start gnawing at that bone...



...whenever they get around to throwing it.



As for the Expressway-Turnpike thing, that makes more sense now, but the whole 295/42 interchange is legendary, and my girlfriend lives at the end of Rt. 55, you have no idea how bad that gets in the summer.


edit: Sorry if that came off a bit harsh, I'm just really annoyed at the lack of transit that we have.
I gotta drive to all of those also!!! Can I have a piece of that bone?!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top