Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Politicians pay more attention to South Jersey?
Yes 8 21.05%
No 20 52.63%
I'm from North Jersey, I could careless about S. Jersey 10 26.32%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
But that's the nature of the way South Jersey has developed. It's spread out.
What would you like evil North Jersey to do about that? Should you have triple the frequency for less of the population? More routes for less population hubs?
I live in Bergen Co. My public transportation options are more limited than say, Hudson & Essex Co. Those places have a design & population density that calls for extensive amounts of public transportation. It just makes sense.
Beyond that....................... Demand for transportation finds a way to manifest its way into actuality.
I don't even take NJT into NYC anymore. I take the "Dominican dollar bus". Small gypsy buses that run more frequently over the GWB. I take them to Paterson as well.
Another example would be NYC. When I was young & would go to NY; Harlem was seen as a no go zone for yellow cabs, gypsy cabs uptown would take you anywhere you wanted to go. They filled in that gap.
Do you see what I'm saying?

Not everything is a conspiracy aimed at keeping South Jersey down.
I wasn't complaining. I was merely pointing out to Nexis' cousin "qjbusmaster" the bus fan that you can't get around South Jersey easily on a bus despite what he implied in his posts. I could personally care less about public transit bus service in South Jersey, no one who has any other option will ever ride them.

If you flip back to the beginning of this thread (or maybe it was a different one), I was actually making much the same point that you are that the way South Jersey has developed and the density of the population there is little opportunity for efficient mass transit. I'm glad that they are looking to expand the Riverline to Glassboro, but even that is somewhat questionable as to what impact it will actually have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I wasn't complaining. I was merely pointing out to Nexis' cousin "qjbusmaster" the bus fan that you can't get around South Jersey easily on a bus despite what he implied in his posts. I could personally care less about public transit bus service in South Jersey, no one who has any other option will ever ride them.

If you flip back to the beginning of this thread (or maybe it was a different one), I was actually making much the same point that you are that the way South Jersey has developed and the density of the population there is little opportunity for efficient mass transit. I'm glad that they are looking to expand the Riverline to Glassboro, but even that is somewhat questionable as to what impact it will actually have.
Meh , please do not stick me in the same category as this Bus lover..... I'm a Rail Fanner which a more respected Transportation Rank...

SJ needs to get serious with TOD , it seems to lag compared to Central and North.... Once the Pennsuaken Transit Center opens late next year , hopefully RiverLine towns will see things pick up

Old 03-03-2011, 11:01 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
I could personally care less about public transit bus service in South Jersey, no one who has any other option will ever ride them.
That's also part of your problem (by your; I'm talking about South Jersey in general & not you in particular). Along with the nature of South
Jersey's layout, you have imposed a black mark on public transportation (buses are the stop gap in all areas; including major American cities).The stigma you place on buses is yours alone. North Jersey can't legislate that. Yet South Jersey militant types want to whine about what they don't get in this area, even though they see it as beneath them. Curious.
I've heard the loudest of the South Jersey militants on this site talk about how they would never, ever live in a place like North Jersey, yet they want similar public transportation. How does that work?
If you like South Jersey's seclusion, you get seclusion type public transportation. It's not that complicated.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Meh , please do not stick me in the same category as this Bus lover..... I'm a Rail Fanner which a more respected Transportation Rank...
Ohh stop............................................. You sound beyond ridiculous.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
That's also part of your problem (by your; I'm talking about South Jersey in general & not you in particular). Along with the nature of South
Jersey's layout, you have imposed a black mark on public transportation (buses are the stop gap in all areas; including major American cities).The stigma you place on buses is yours alone. North Jersey can't legislate that. Yet South Jersey militant types want to whine about what they don't get in this area, even though they see it as beneath them. Curious.
I've heard the loudest of the South Jersey militants on this site talk about how they would never, ever live in a place like North Jersey, yet they want similar public transportation. How does that work?
If you like South Jersey's seclusion, you get seclusion type public transportation. It's not that complicated.
Like was said earlier you can look at it two ways, is demand generated by the existence of the system or does unmet demand lead to the creation of the system?

Not to belabor and continue to argue the point, but no one in South Jersey uses public transit outside of PATCO and the Riverline, because for the most part you can't get public transit to take you where you want to go and even when it is available, it is generally just as easy and cost effective to drive there. After all, we all pretty much own cars as a necessity around here.

That basically leaves busses to be ridden only by the poor, hence the stigma. Also, considering every bus line we have terminates in one place, the Walter Rand Center in Camden, it can certainly be an adventure riding the bus and pretty much everyone avoids if at all possible.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Like was said earlier you can look at it two ways, is demand generated by the existence of the system or does unmet demand lead to the creation of the system?

Not to belabor and continue to argue the point, but no one in South Jersey uses public transit outside of PATCO and the Riverline, because for the most part you can't get public transit to take you where you want to go and even when it is available, it is generally just as easy and cost effective to drive there. After all, we all pretty much own cars as a necessity around here.

That basically leaves busses to be ridden only by the poor, hence the stigma. Also, considering every bus line we have terminates in one place, the Walter Rand Center in Camden, it can certainly be an adventure riding the bus and pretty much everyone avoids if at all possible.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Quote:
The stigma comes from how the busses are run, and from how inefficient they are.
The problem with transit is that it could work, and at one time did work, in South Jersey. If the Camden-Millville line was PROPERLY rebuilt, it would encourage people to live in the historic denser town centers, almost all of which are centered around train stations. If transit was built correctly, we could have denser communities and more open space throughout the state.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
AGREED ****TY CROSS-TOWN SERVICE PLUS I AM NOT EXACTLY A BUS FAN I AM BALANCED I think buses and trains are equally as efficient but one without the other and you get sprawl like LA california!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
The stigma comes from how the busses are run, and from how inefficient they are.
The problem with transit is that it could work, and at one time did work, in South Jersey. If the Camden-Millville line was PROPERLY rebuilt, it would encourage people to live in the historic denser town centers, almost all of which are centered around train stations. If transit was built correctly, we could have denser communities and more open space throughout the state.
I pity the fool who drives slower than the 551!!!!! ha ha ha south jersey in general has bad service but atlantic and camden counties are exceptions. In atlantic the weak link is rte 50 and the black hourse pike west of mays landing!!!! in camden its the weak weekend service but it's easier than ya thing I tried it I tried atlantic county it's very posible to use the transit that exists somewhat but if you need to go north and south you are better off driving in atlantic the other counties are well north-south only being craptastic camden millville line is needed and the 408 should be modified to avoid duplicating it!!!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

SJ needs to get serious with TOD , it seems to lag compared to Central and North.... Once the Pennsuaken Transit Center opens late next year , hopefully RiverLine towns will see things pick up
fool all modes of transit help each other look at mercer the only thing missing is the west trenton line. Trains run fast then buses complete the trip ftom rail to final destination!!!! SJ does lack TOD but that lack is hurting transit in SJ. Try the 402 that is an example of failure to see ppl's needs and bad marketing just ask anyone in SJ about the transit they will give blank faces due to horrid marketing unlike northeast jersey. Northwest is much worse than SJ where you HAVE TO DRIVE!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey