Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,692 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are about to make a move from Phoenix, AZ to Paramus NJ. I have been scouring websites for hours and can't make any headway on finding a good resource for renting a home.

We have a large dog, and are looking for a house with a yard. Up to around $2200 a month and within about a 10 miles radius of Paramus (or whatever is a reasonable commute, I'm not really sure). An apartment isn't really an option. Can anyone help out with a resource? We're even willing to pay a broker to help us (our company will pay for it with our relocation package). It's just that everything I find is for apartments. Aren't there any houses out there?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,666,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmZoe View Post
My husband and I are about to make a move from Phoenix, AZ to Paramus NJ. I have been scouring websites for hours and can't make any headway on finding a good resource for renting a home.

We have a large dog, and are looking for a house with a yard. Up to around $2200 a month and within about a 10 miles radius of Paramus (or whatever is a reasonable commute, I'm not really sure). An apartment isn't really an option. Can anyone help out with a resource? We're even willing to pay a broker to help us (our company will pay for it with our relocation package). It's just that everything I find is for apartments. Aren't there any houses out there?

Thanks...
$2,200 is very low for a house in Bergen County. Its more inline with a 2 bedroom apartment. I seriously doubt you'd want to live in a any house you found at that price point. That said, Hackensack might be an option for you.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:10 AM

What would be a reasonable price to pay then? We're flexible, we just need a website, or a broker, or something so we can take a look at something besides apartments. Craigslist is useless. Is the only way to do it to just drive around and look for "For Rent" signs? Hard to believe there isn't someone I can pay to help me look for a place to live...

Old 02-23-2011, 10:35 AM

I stand corrected!!! There are places that look liveable for that! Don't know if they take dogs.

go to Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage - Connecticut, New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania Real Estate and Homes for Sale - ColdwellBankerMoves.com

click on the state of nj. Click rental under search type.

In location plug in:

Paramus
Ridgewood
Fair Lawn
Glen Rock
oradell
River Edge

You'll see a bunch! They also give the listing agent so I'm sure that broker would be able to help you.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 AM

Thank you! That's very helpful!

Old 02-23-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmZoe View Post
Thank you! That's very helpful!
No problem the towns I listed are all really good areas and they are all discussed ad nauseum on city-data. So if you need more info on any one of them just search their name and you'll find hundreds of posts with all the details you could ever want.

Personally I'd go with Ridgewood (best downtown in Bergen county IMO), followed by Glen Rock. Paramus has major traffic problems as a result of the Garden State Plaza being there and not much of a d-town(imo). Most people who live there tolerate it because they pay some of the lowest property taxes in the state. something that doesn't impact you as a renter well maybe it does a little since property taxes are considered when deciding on rent.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times
Try njmls.com.

You could find a house for 2200 in some towns. i know in midland park you can find something for around that much. its about10-15 minutes to paramus depending on where.

ridgewood is closer with a nicer downtown but more expensive or maybe the house isnt as nice.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Try padmapper.com

Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
$2,200 is very low for a house in Bergen County. Its more inline with a 2 bedroom apartment. I seriously doubt you'd want to live in a any house you found at that price point. That said, Hackensack might be an option for you.

OP, do you have kids/is school a concern?

If not, you have plenty of options. Even if so, you still have plenty of options.

Give us a bit more info about yourself and what you are looking for in a town and we will be able to help.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:38 PM

349 posts, read 781,498 times
I just don't understand NJ. I used to work in Paramus and it didn't look that nice at all yet it's expensive. I understand the whole proximity to ny thing but damn. Maybe I didn't see the nice areas as I worked near Paramus park and usually drove up and down Rt 17 I believe it is (where gsp is). I just couldn't see paying an exorbitant amount of money for what I saw there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey