Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
as i said in the other thread, i don't buy it. this only would be true in my mind if a 10 year old kid had the mind to choose the better school, because his parents don't give a crap, and won't get the kid to the better school. i think you greatly overestimate what many parents would do (nothing) even if given choice. and most parents that would do something, when given choice, are likely doing something already in their "subpar" district to make sure their kids are the best ones in that school.
Whaaat? Why do you think just because people are poor they wouldn't try to get their kids into a better school if they had a choice? Wow, that's really underestimating parents who happen to be poor. And it's not true, that's already been shown with the charters that have been allowed to open.

As far as doing something to improve a school in a subpar district, good luck getting anything changed in a monopoly NJ public school. They aren't going to do anything to try to keep you there, because they don't have to. They get the tax money regardless.

Even worse, if you try to speak up or voice your concern about anything, tread very, very carefully. And I'm talking from experience as someone who is affluent and has advanced degrees. It's pay up and shut up. That's how you get along with a NJ public school. I can't even imagine how poor people get treated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
He's trying to get rid of the UEZ's which support 100,000s of jobs and brings millions to this state in revenue... Alot of New Yorkers come over and shop... Hes really starting to hurt the middle class and poor who benefit form the UEZs

Old 02-24-2011, 05:26 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
He's trying to get rid of the UEZ's which support 100,000s of jobs and brings millions to this state in revenue... Alot of New Yorkers come over and shop... Hes really starting to hurt the middle class and poor who benefit form the UEZs
The UEZ is a good idea, IMO, butI think the NYers who come over here are more inclined to spend their money at the big malls in Paramus and Short Hills over the endless .99 cent stores in Hudson and Essex counties.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,075,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
The UEZ is a good idea, IMO, butI think the NYers who come over here are more inclined to spend their money at the big malls in Paramus and Short Hills over the endless .99 cent stores in Hudson and Essex counties.
Sales taxes are one of the most regressive taxes out there.

Triple the taxes on luxury autos, homes & yachts and see how fast the WATBs in the fancy towns cry us a river. Paging AnesthesiaMD...

Old 02-24-2011, 08:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
They should lower the income tax rates for everybody.IMO. But to go on stage after stage singing to the choir about SHARED, SHARED,SHARED,SHARED sacrifice I don't see it. I'm not faulting Christie for attempting to get spending under control but it seems that he is on a mission. Did he cut the salaries in his office. No. Did they send in their monthly medical bennies checks. NO,NO,NO. So why doesn't he share along with most NJersians. Hence the reason for the post. CHRISTIE SPREAD THE LOVE. To tell disabled and seniors the one and only way they get property tax rebates is if his and only his pension reform bill get's passed is lower then a snakes a$$.
Why did you automatically assume "shared" meant picking the pockets of those who have already have had their pockets picked enough?

Time to re-evaluate your definition of "shared".

Old 02-24-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I see our obese, bully governor wants to still give those evil, soulless corporations 200 million in tax breaks. How dare he do such an irresponsible thing! I was perfectly fine having NJ ranked 48th (up from 50th) for business tax climate.

Gubna Blimpy keeps this up and NJ may be competitive once again. Where does he get the nerve?!? Does he actually want jobs to come back to the state? The man is delusional and is surely looking out for only his wealthy, fat-cat buddies. SHAME ON YOU, BULLY CHRISTIE! SHAME ON YOU AND YOUR JOB CREATING IDEAS!!! I am so filing a grievance with my union after reading the article below.

Speaking of delusional: Ms. Howlett needs to come back to Earth to have her tin-foil hat adjusted.

Trying to justify astronomical property taxes with cheap gas. Wow. That's rich.

N.J. residents were highest-taxed in U.S. in 2009, report shows | NJ.com
How many poor and middle class folks create jobs? To keep the poor and middle class folks employed?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
You won't hear an argument out of me on this.

Quote:
Triple the taxes on luxury autos, homes & yachts and see how fast the WATBs in the fancy towns cry us a river. Paging AnesthesiaMD...
That would be atrocious. Unfortunately, some of our "elected" officials would foam at the mouth to see this happen.

I have no problem paying a share, but I do have a problem with people howl about how the rich get special treatment and how corporate America (which I'm not a huge fan of) gets their way with everyone.

Look at John Kerry. He docked his $7million yacht in RI in an attempt to skirt paying the $500K in sales tax in Mass. This comes from a man who would tax breathing if he had the chance to do it. Now, that is class warfare. "Do as I say..."

I don't have a problem with veterans and the elderly getting this break first (if it passes). The vets have paid their dues by admirably serving and the elderly have been paying for much longer.

Everyone else want a break? Look at the failures in their own municipalities and then assess why the excessive outflow is going there (bloated overtime, bloated payrolls, double/triple/quadruple jobs, multiple pensions, etc...).

I'm all for making as much as you possibly can if it's from hard work and perseverance; but when you look at the joke that is the PVWC, the Hudson County raids, and notable mayoral trash like Sharpe James and Joe Vas, you have to say uncle. The stupidity has to stop at some point.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
How many poor and middle class folks create jobs? To keep the poor and middle class folks employed?
Not many. I was being sarcastic since some on here view the governor as some tub-of-lard who is trying to collapse the middle class.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

If someone can afford a "luxury auto", why tax the purchase or lease higher? What's the point? A few hundred dollars is going to make you feel better?

You want to put luxury car dealerships out of business? Are their employees "rich" or "middle class"?

Luxury homes? As opposed to a cracker-box? If someone can afford to buy a 10,000 square foot home, why should they be taxed higher on the purchase of said home than someone who buys a hole in the wall? Who's most likely paying higher property taxes?

If you can afford a million + dollar yacht, a 21% tax isn't going to change anything.

What's the point? To see how many don't buy the "luxury" items and send just that many more to the unemployment line?

That makes sense. Good lookin' out for the "middle class" there.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Not many. I was being sarcastic since some on here view the governor as some tub-of-lard who is trying to collapse the middle class.
I apologize.

I missed the sarcasm, the whining from others was too distracting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey