Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,124 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are trying to create a local neighborhood association in North Jersey. I can not find any official process to do so. We would like to become a non-profit and would like to open a bank account. Do we need to legally get a name? What does this require? Can anyone recommend a process to become an official neighborhood association?
Thanks, Jeanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
what do you mean by this? an HOA or just a loosely associated group?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 AM

I mean a neighborhood association. Supposedly if we speak as an official group, we will have more clout. We would like to collect dues.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:39 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNA27 View Post
I mean a neighborhood association. Supposedly if we speak as an official group, we will have more clout. We would like to collect dues.
Urgh. That is one of the best things about NJ. Hardly any HOAs.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Urgh. That is one of the best things about NJ. Hardly any HOAs.
I don't know if I would say "hardly any".

Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM

No, we don't want a HOA, from what I know about HOA, that is a completely different type of group-run by developers and/or realtors.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:00 AM

572 posts, read 2,021,228 times
MHNA - Any non-profit organization would be considered a HOA. I have a HOA in my condo and the board is made up of owners with everyone paying dues. HOA's generally have a board that is elected by the mebers of the association and are not run by developers or realtors.

What would the homeowners be getting for participating in this HOA? Would it be mandatory participation?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
What exactly do you see the association doing? Why do you need dues?

Old 02-24-2011, 08:18 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
You could easily incorporate a non-profit group as something like the "XXX Civic Association" or the "XXX Neighborhood Association". When incorporating you would appoint directors for the organization and submit a charter. It may be as easy as going to an incorporation website and paying the fee. You could also have an attorney do it for you, but that will cost you more.

The thing is, you aren't going to have any teeth. HOA's are designed to exist from the start and are entrusted with powers and rules defined in their covenants and anyone who buys property in the HOA agrees to submit to the rules. It is possible to start one if you had unanimous support from all home owners in a defined area, but that would be a real tough thing to do.

What you will end up with is an organization that people can join voluntarily and that organization can collect dues and engage in fundraising. That money must then be spent on the purposes you outline in your charter for the non-profit.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

Thanks everyone for answering. We are not trying to form an HOA, rather we are trying to form a association in an established neighborhood in the suburbs. We will define an area, and anyone who wants to join from that area can become a member. We would collect fees because occasionally there would be things to spend money on for the group, such as a block party or payment for OPRA requested plans (for example). We want to make sure that we are doing everything legally. The money is the tricky part because if we open a bank account, we have to do it with a name so that no one person has to pay taxes on it. Do we have to register a name? I am worried that the whole process will be to costly.
I was hoping someone who is a member of a NJ Neighborhood Association could tell me how their organization went about opening a bank account. I may be making it more complicated than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey