Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:27 AM

421 posts, read 1,566,056 times

Advertisements

What is the Vineland/Millville area like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 03:00 PM

15 posts, read 90,651 times
Are you REALLY sure you want to know what Vineland and Millville are like? I can't really speak for Vineland but Millville there are gunshots 4 or 5 nights a week. When you need a cop, you can't find one. A woman got raped 500 feet from my front door. Not to mention all the murders in the city so far this year.

If you really want to know what it is like, come to Vineland or Millville after dark. One thing thou, please make sure your car doors are locked.

The 2 safest towns in Cumberland County are Newport and Franklinville.

Good Luck.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM

Wow! Sounds bad. I was hoping maybe it was a slice of small town AMerica.

I live in NE Ohio near Cleveland. My grandfather grew up in South Jersey in Salem County back in the early 20'th century but lived most of his adult life in Akron, Ohio. He always described South Jersey as a very appealing slice of rural America. Are parts of South Jersey, other than the Pine Barrens, still farm country and small towns?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicHali07 View Post
Are you REALLY sure you want to know what Vineland and Millville are like? I can't really speak for Vineland but Millville there are gunshots 4 or 5 nights a week. When you need a cop, you can't find one. A woman got raped 500 feet from my front door. Not to mention all the murders in the city so far this year.

If you really want to know what it is like, come to Vineland or Millville after dark. One thing thou, please make sure your car doors are locked.

The 2 safest towns in Cumberland County are Newport and Franklinville.

Good Luck.
I see Newport on the map. This looks like a rural village. Is Southern Cumberland County sparsely settled and rural?

Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 AM

604 posts, read 2,914,292 times
Right now they are constructing a motorsports park in Millville. If noise bothers you you might want to stay clear of Millville.

Thunderbolt Raceway - New Jersey Motorsports Park

Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 10,940 times
Millville is not bad, maybe some bad people as in any city. Center city is upcoming and very much inproved.But still a ways to go. There are plenty of outskirts of the town which are very nice. and everything you could want are only 30 min at tops away. AC, the shore, baytowns, views wildlife, partylife, phila,stadiums,entertainment,and yes the nj motersports which is under const.Iwas born here and 46 years later I know alot of people sill here.

Old 07-25-2007, 02:41 PM

26 posts, read 115,857 times
I grew up in South Jersey!! Salem County - near Elmer, NJ.
Still a small quite town in America.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 19,794 times
Millville is OK. The taxes are getting crazy. I live in W Millville. Lived in Cumberland all my life. All cities/towns have their crime and bad points. Cumberland is the cheapest county next to salem but they are even getting to expensive. I personally would never move to vineland. And as a child growing up in a little community of laurel lake, I don't like the millville mentallity. Millville and vineland think they are better then anyone else and it just sickens me. We will be leaving millville as soon as possible. Within the next 1-3yrs. Mostly likely south.
Any one is welcome to come and make millville home. Hopefully it will be an improvement. And hopefully it will be one more (if not more) voters needed to get rid of the mayor of Millville.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:25 AM

1 posts, read 10,657 times
I'd watch out.
I live in Millville NJ and have been in other states and cities before.

There are some real problems developing.

The local police have became ridiculous.
Young kids are yelled at and bullied for hanging out downtown. People are arrested in the streets during block parties and local events for little reason.

One of our local cops shot his wife in the head killing her and got away with it for months before the state came in and investigated.
Property taxes are some of the highest I've ever seen for a area with such low income. I've seen many of places in this beautiful country where the average income per house-hold is more then here, yet the taxes are a lot less.

The job market is "ok". With a lack of any good high paying technical jobs. "anything that pays anymore then $10..$12 a hour" Retail is good though if you wanna' work a mall job.

Also housing cost is insane for the area. A house that you could buy in some near by states for $200,000 would be some $300,000 or more here. Altough housing in Deleware still more costly then here. So it's not the worst I've seen.

Also they are transplanting people from Camden NJ (which is only a few miles north) into downtown Millville as part of a relocation program. Camden NJ has been ranked the most-dangerous city in the nation.
Most-dangerous city: Camden, N.J. - Crime & Punishment - MSNBC.com

Millville and Vineland used to be nice some 20.. 30 years ago. But a lot has changed and a lot of the people I know have moved away to better places.

Some friends and family moved to other parts of NJ.. While others moved out of state.

Thanks you.

Short Version:

I'd stay away from the Millville and Vineland area.

Last edited by ym2413a; 09-23-2007 at 04:27 AM.. Reason: updating info.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 30,512 times
please tell me what you mean by "they are transplanting people from Camden?" Who is "they?
Do you live there now, and what is your main objection with the town? I am thinking of investing in the arts district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey