Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 PM

80 posts, read 395,791 times

Advertisements

I was house hunting sunday in the westfield area of NJ and have to say what a great town it is. The downtown area is just full of great restaurants,shops (both name brand and local) and has a nice movie theatre.

Anyone from the location? If so can they tell me more about Westfield (good and bad). We are in the process of buying a fixer upper about 2 minutes from the downtown area on North Ave. All feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 01:50 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,920,951 times
Default Great Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
I was house hunting sunday in the westfield area of NJ and have to say what a great town it is. The downtown area is just full of great restaurants,shops (both name brand and local) and has a nice movie theatre.

Anyone from the location? If so can they tell me more about Westfield (good and bad). We are in the process of buying a fixer upper about 2 minutes from the downtown area on North Ave. All feedback is appreciated.
Westfield is a great town. You should search past threads - there were couple of great ones specifically about Westfield. You'll see lots of information there.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:01 AM

122 posts, read 477,507 times
Lived in Westfield for over 35 years. Still surrounded by most of the original neighbors from when I moved in.
It was love at first sight and still going strong!
Lots going on downtown during the summer and fall.
Tuesday nights jazz bands; last night pizza 5k run.
Farmer market on Saturdays.
There are some snobs but for the most part people are nice.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:39 PM

72 posts, read 325,451 times
lived in neighboring Cranford for 30 years. I can't find anything bad to say about Westfield... Good luck!

(the only negative posts you'll probably see are sour grape postings, such as it is too snooty, or perhaps taxes. But you probably know about the taxes if you have your eye an a particular house.)

Old 07-26-2007, 03:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,645,795 times
I live in Westfield now, take the train daily, working in NYC... I love it - just wish I could afford it! (Looking elsewhere for my first home purchase). JerseyGirl is right, downtown is busy during the summer and fall, great shops, so on.

The only issue I have is that some of the smaller shops are moving away and mall stores have moved in, but I'm one of those guys who likes the small town feel.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 PM

157 posts, read 778,662 times
I have lived in Westfield for 9 years and love it. There is absolutely nothing bad anyone could say about the town (except that it is pricey, maybe). If you can afford it, it is well worth it. Most that live here love it- so much going on- great for young couples, families, kids, etc.

I am going to be brutally honest though. I assume you are buying a fixer upper on North Ave because the price is reasonable. Our first Westfield home was a fixer, and we made a lot of money on it. My only concern is North Ave. People in Westfield buy by street- and North Ave is a big negative. Is there anything on a quieter street that you might be able to swing?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 AM

132 posts, read 518,546 times
Always wonder what is meant by snooty people? Do they look at you funny or never say hello to you when you are outside. Because if that is the case then my neighbors in Iselin are pretty snooty too but make far less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey