Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Speaking of Arizona, this was posted in the NC thread. Tea party in the Sonora: For the future of G.O.P. governance, look to Arizona?By Ken Silverstein (Harper's Magazine)

I was horrified, but a couple of posters here might want to pack their bags for AZ.
do i have to read that article or could i please ask you to say what you found most horrifying about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
do i have to read that article or could i please ask you to say what you found most horrifying about it.
Read it. I figure you'll be packing for AZ tonight.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
i agree with some of this but not that the taxpayers should be forced to live up to these obligations no matter what. i think its unfortunate for people to be promised things and not get them but i dont think that means it shouldnt happen that way. in the private sector, people are promised things and if the company goes bankrupt or closes, things change. same should be for public sector. the only reason why people can even consider what you are saying is that the public workers feel they have some god given right to abuse taxpayers because we dont have as much choice as a customer buying a product. if GM's pension costs get too high, they cant just charge customers more money and force people to buy their cars, customers have choice. taxpayers get abused.
my 401k contributions are guaranteed whether company goes bankrupt or not. so is my private sectar pension, up to a certain amount. no reason public employees should be treated any differently.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
what is your pension?

i know a lot of people with 401k's and sometimes no match. is that really a pension? if the employer matched 50% of employee contributions up to 3% of their salary, can that be compared to what most public workers get?

saying "they have a pension" is just not enough detail.
my former employer contributed 4% of my salary each year to a pension. additionally, i got a 25% matching contribution to my 401k contributions, up to 6% of my salary. no one is saying a 401k is a pension that i know of. these small pensions are not uncommon in public accounting and banking from what i've seen amongst my friends.

my new employer is no pension, but i get 100% matching contributions in 401k up to 6% of my salary.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Some numbers around pensions being offered by private companies.

Jobs That Still Offer Traditional Pensions - US News and World Report

Old 02-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Is the state responsible for living to the letter of the contract even if it means doing so will virtually drive the state to bankruptcy or force the pension into bankruptcy and federal control where the employees will get far less than they would under the state plan?

So, do we break the state to meet our promises even if it means that taxes will spiral out of control...

or

Do we let the pension system sit as it is until it becomes insolvent and is taken over by the Fed and all those in it will be lucky to get 50% of what they were owed under the old plan.
well, since the state (read: taxpayers) allowed years to go by without paying into the fund, just because the bill is due now doesn't mean the state (taxpayers) are off the hook for their obligation they agreed to.

fix the system now and figure out the best way to meet obligations, or as close to it as possible.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
well, since the state (read: taxpayers) allowed years to go by without paying into the fund, just because the bill is due now doesn't mean the state (taxpayers) are off the hook for their obligation they agreed to.

fix the system now and figure out the best way to meet obligations, or as close to it as possible.
those who benefitted from the tax cuts Christie #1 enacted which caused this mess should pay it all back.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
those who benefitted from the tax cuts Christie #1 enacted which caused this mess should pay it all back.
That would be the fairest solution of all ... same with wall-street and the banksters.

Sure do wish there was a way for us to implement such a fantasy

Old 02-28-2011, 12:03 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my 401k contributions are guaranteed whether company goes bankrupt or not. so is my private sectar pension, up to a certain amount. no reason public employees should be treated any differently.
getting back what was specifically taken from pay is a no brainer.

and id vote against living up to past promises. one of the benefits of a 401k program i suppose, the money is there in an account for you to see, not a pension fund for you to dream about.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
That would unfortunately be every last person in the state...with the exception of those making over $500k who had their pre-Whitman tax levels restored under McGreevey in 2004.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey