Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
What's wrong with pre-approved a 300k loan on 72k income? Assume he pays 1/3 in tax, so his take home is 48k. Break that down by month, that's still 4k. At a 300k loans on current interest rate, it is around 1.5k a month on the mortgage. So assume his property tax and utility amount to 1k a month. He still left 1.5k as disposable income. Let say he left with 1k disposable income. I think that's more than enough for single. Beside he will get mortgage interest and property tax deductible on his schedule, which in term lower his over all tax.

Yes, you will have to make scarify. That mean no more happy hour every Thursday night, no more partying Friday and Saturday's night. No more buy toys that you only play once or twice. No more buying clothes you only wear once or twice. The list goes on...
ok. where in that $1K "disposable income" is maintenance fee, food, car insurance, car payment, GAS, utilities (including heating, electric, cable, cell, water/sewer) home maintenance, retirement savings, rainy day savings.

are you serious!? it's INSANE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:56 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
ok. where in that $1K "disposable income" is maintenance fee, food, car insurance, car payment, GAS, utilities (including heating, electric, cable, cell, water/sewer) home maintenance, retirement savings, rainy day savings.

are you serious!? it's INSANE.
Exactly. Disposable income is after you have taken care of your bills. Throw in car payments, food and utilities and that could easily be 1k a month.

Which is exactly why I keep telling the OP to do a detailed budget. There is no need for speculation on how much money will be left after expenses.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
Yeah I'm planning on it, however not sure if you're mentioning it because you're suggesting it's a bad neighborhood. If you are I will say this in defense, I have lived here for 15 years and have never had a problem. My door stays unlocked often and I have left my car unlocked many times without realizing it. A few weeks ago I was unloading some stuff from the car and left the door wide open and forgot to go back downstairs to close it. It stayed like that all night and nothing was missing in the morning. Mind you this is a new BMW too.
I was actually half joking. There was a debate on this forum a while back as to whether or not home alarms are worth the money. Some people actually pained they were a waste of money. I disagree with that.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:04 AM

38 posts, read 85,497 times
Crortega9 read this article before you move to NJ:

New Jersey -- Outward bound

New Jersey -- Outward bound - NJVoices: James Hughes and Joseph Seneca

Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I was actually half joking. There was a debate on this forum a while back as to whether or not home alarms are worth the money. Some people actually pained they were a waste of money. I disagree with that.
i guess it depends on the cost. and what you save in insurance. i don't know that it's a slam dunk worth the money, depending on where you live.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:14 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Not to rehash a past debate, but they are definitely worth the money. I would never not have a home alarm now, no matter where I lived. And where you live is no guarantee your house won't get broken into, that's for sure.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Not to rehash a past debate, but they are definitely worth the money. I would never not have a home alarm now, no matter where I lived. And where you live is no guarantee your house won't get broken into, that's for sure.
my parents definitely don't need one where they live. i don't know anyone in my hometown area that has even considered it.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:28 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,062,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
my parents definitely don't need one where they live. i don't know anyone in my hometown area that has even considered it.
I live in a very nice neighborhood, and it's not near any cities or anything, in fact it's kind of off the beaten path as much as you can be in NJ, and we've had a string of break-ins. It's not about where you live.

It's fine if it happens when you're not home, but you don't want to walk in on a burglary in motion or be home when it happens.

I think they are worth the money. Helps me sleep at night anyway! But to each their own.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i live in a very safe area but i have an alarm. the house i grew up in was in a very safe area but it was broken into once. it was during the daytime and we had an alarm but it wasnt used. after that, certain windows when opened would automatically set off the alarm and the alarm was always set to make a noise when something opened. its also pretty disgraceful that my old man didnt have guns handy for us to use if needed. someone breaks into my house with someone home, he wont be leaving alive.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I live in a very nice neighborhood, and it's not near any cities or anything, in fact it's kind of off the beaten path as much as you can be in NJ, and we've had a string of break-ins. It's not about where you live.

It's fine if it happens when you're not home, but you don't want to walk in on a burglary in motion or be home when it happens.

I think they are worth the money. Helps me sleep at night anyway! But to each their own.
the town i grew up in, since we lived there in 1991, through present, has not had a single crime occur in it, other than rolling through a stop sign or maybe driving faster than the 15mph speed limit. oh yeah, and probably some cow tipping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey