U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 AM

128 posts, read 164,942 times
Andrea, I was in the same situation as you. I moved from Long Island to NJ due to my husband's job transfer. My daughter has a Nov birthday. The town we were in on Long Island has a Dec 31 cut off, so she was slated to enter Kindy in Sept 2011.

Almost all of NJ's town has an Oct 1 cut off. So coming from LI, it would be holding my daughter back. In NY, no one would bat an eye lid if you child's b-day is between Oct - Dec and is entered into Kindy before their 5th b-day. Here, in NJ, people are squirmish about that fact, don't know why, a lot of parents do hold their eligible child back.

I have done extensive research before moving to NJ. The following are towns that would admit your child into 1st Grade if he/she attends an accredited Kindergarten, even though he/she doesn't meet the cut off date:

Berkeley Heights
New Providence
Westfield
East Hanover
Hanover Township

The only town that has a later cut off date at Dec 1 is Springfield.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

1,033 posts, read 2,995,959 times
You really need to contact the Catholic Schools and plead your case. There is a school I'm aware of (not near where you are) that has it's cut off as Oct. 1, but agreed to meet with the parents and child to determine her readiness. She was admitted and is doing great.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:24 PM

3,200 posts, read 5,814,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immy View Post
Andrea, I was in the same situation as you. I moved from Long Island to NJ due to my husband's job transfer. My daughter has a Nov birthday. The town we were in on Long Island has a Dec 31 cut off, so she was slated to enter Kindy in Sept 2011.

Almost all of NJ's town has an Oct 1 cut off. So coming from LI, it would be holding my daughter back. In NY, no one would bat an eye lid if you child's b-day is between Oct - Dec and is entered into Kindy before their 5th b-day. Here, in NJ, people are squirmish about that fact, don't know why, a lot of parents do hold their eligible child back.

I have done extensive research before moving to NJ. The following are towns that would admit your child into 1st Grade if he/she attends an accredited Kindergarten, even though he/she doesn't meet the cut off date:

Berkeley Heights
New Providence
Westfield
East Hanover
Hanover Township

The only town that has a later cut off date at Dec 1 is Springfield.

Hope this helps.
So you pushed your kid ahead relative to her peers.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,900,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
So you pushed your kid ahead relative to her peers.
Holding back is the pushing ahead.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:52 PM

3,200 posts, read 5,814,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Holding back is the pushing ahead.
Not a decision I would have made.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:28 PM

11,502 posts, read 19,863,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin1 View Post
Actually, there is very little evidence to suggest that older children do better academically in the long term. While there may be some short-term benefits, that "gift of time" year argument is riddled with anecdotal tales with little research to back it up.

Many parents believe that they are giving their child one more year to "just be a kid" while neglecting to realize that they are likewise taking away a year where their children can be independent, productive adults. Teachers also like to have older kids in the class because it's easier, and initially those kids will test better.

My son was in a kindergarten class where 1/3 of the kids had been red-shirted. He is a March birthday, which to my surprise made him one of the youngest boys in the class. All of these "red-shirted" kids could read and were fairly ahead of my child academically when they started school. Now, only half- way through 1st grade, my child is miles ahead than these "red-shirted" kids academically, already reading at a 6th grade level. What I am trying to convey ( probably inadequately)' is that the academic advantages of holding a child back who is academically and socially ready for Kindergarten are minimal and short-lived.

As for cut-offs for the OP, it soulds like you haven't really settled on a location. As far as schools are concerned you may want to try Ridgewood. When we lived there I know they school district had just started a program wherein they were
willing to evaluate for K any child whose birthday fell before Dec 15th, even though their cut-off was officially Oct 1. You my just want to get a list of towns and start calling school boards to see if they have a similar program. Good Luck!
I agree with you on the redshirting. I personally find it an odd practice (ESPECIALLY when it comes to sports). My sons are born in May (Oct 1 cutoff), and on my one son's sports team, out of 38 kids, he's...get this....the THIRD youngest! MAY birthday!

I love my friend's take on the whole thing - "In Kindy, the oldest kid is the smartest. In 3rd grade, the smartest kid is the smartest". At my kids' age now, I'd bet anyone they couldn't tell who was the oldest and youngest based on grades and behavior.

My theory has always been - if you make the cutoff, go. If not, wait. (obviously this assumes no learning or emotional issues, and on the other end of the spectrum where a child is truly gifted)

Old 02-28-2011, 04:40 PM

933 posts, read 1,613,295 times
Andrea,

It's been years, but I had two children who missed the cut-off date. At three years old, my December-born daughter could read and carry on a conversation with an adult. We felt the school system was holding her back when they wouldn't admit her into kindergarten at 4 years, nine months old.

We found an accredited home-school program and taught kindergarten at home. We sent her work to the accrediting agency for periodic review and she received "report cards." Sure enough, the following year our public school accepted her into first grade becasue she had completed an accredited kindergarten program.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, but you imply that your 4-year-old is an early bloomer. Due to my girl being mature ahead of her time, we did the right thing. The same may hold true for your child.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:01 PM

71 posts, read 100,626 times
Springfield that is next to Millburn has a public half-day pre-K (very decent program, btw) and the district cutoff is November 30 - you can move there for a year if you decide on Millburn... I was told that Kindergarten is only half-day or would be so starting next year...

Old 02-28-2011, 05:02 PM

71 posts, read 100,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
Springfield that is next to Millburn has a public half-day pre-K (very decent program, btw) and the district cutoff is November 30 - you can move there for a year if you decide on Millburn... I was told that Kindergarten is only half-day or would be so starting next year...
I meant Kindergarten in Millburn, Springfield's K is full day

Old 02-28-2011, 05:36 PM

11,315 posts, read 7,783,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dne1969 View Post
Millburn wins. Decent commute (train to Penn Station), and best schools in state. Princeton too far for commute. Montclair public schools not so great.
yeah - sounds like millburn to me. depends on budget of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey