U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM

82 posts, read 153,443 times
Default Rutherford or Westwood

I'm reading different threads and wanted to get some opinions. We're currently looking to move from Englewood (we love living here but our son is going into the 4th grade and can not continue to go to the public schools) and have narrowed down our search to pretty much Rutherford or Westwood.

Opinions? Housing prices? Schools? Diversity? Community feel? Taxes?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 03:14 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2tnx View Post
I'm reading different threads and wanted to get some opinions. We're currently looking to move from Englewood (we love living here but our son is going into the 4th grade and can not continue to go to the public schools) and have narrowed down our search to pretty much Rutherford or Westwood.

Opinions? Housing prices? Schools? Diversity? Community feel? Taxes?
I really like Westwood and Washington Twp (they share a school district at the HS level so you should look at both).

Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM

12,283 posts, read 12,298,068 times
Rutherford is more diverse , i think has lower taxes , better schools , houses are average....

Old 03-01-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Rutherford is more diverse , i think has lower taxes , better schools , houses are average....
The schools are not better in Rutherford, at least according to what I can see on the NJ Report Card. They are about the same and are in the same District Factor Group.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
The schools are not better in Rutherford, at least according to what I can see on the NJ Report Card. They are about the same and are in the same District Factor Group.
Well Westwood schools are falling apart , or should i say Washington Township schools are falling apart. Theres a growing underground Drug problem in Westwood.....and that town seems to be falling on hard times. The Taxes in my town keep going up due to the Strip malls owner bad bussiness habits...

Old 03-01-2011, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well Westwood schools are falling apart , or should i say Washington Township schools are falling apart. Theres a growing underground Drug problem in Westwood.....and that town seems to be falling on hard times. The Taxes in my town keep going up due to the Strip malls owner bad bussiness habits...
I don't think of Rutherford as better though, and the data doesn't support that. But it sounds like you live near there, so I'll take your word for it.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:28 PM

712 posts, read 1,213,192 times
The typical Bergen County resident would think of Westwood as the more prestigious town. Both towns are nice, but Rutherford has more of an urban feel than Westwood, which is typical suburbia. Westwood is definitely more expensive. Both towns have nice downtowns, but Westwood's is nicer I think. Schools are comparable, on the low-end of the Bergen County GH district factor group. Well above average overall, but not quite in the same league as the higher-end GH towns like Paramus. (To be fair though, Rutherford is probably the least affluent of the Bergen County GH towns, while Paramus is likely the most affluent of the group.)

Old 03-01-2011, 08:40 PM

96 posts, read 174,910 times
The schools are a wash.

The homes in Rutherford seem a bit nicer and some are truly special. Westwood has a couple of areas that are quite appealing, but Rutherford has more of them.

The downtown in Westwood is nicer looking to my eyes. Rutherford has much better restaurants while Westwood offers a better selection of stores.

If you are going to be making the commute to Manhattan, Rutherford offers a tremendous advantage. If you are working in northern Bergen County, Rockland or Westchester, Westwood has the edge.

The towns bordering Westwood are nicer than the towns bordering Rutherford, but only because Lyndhurst, Carlstadt and E. Rutherford are
more working class. All three are safe and nice in their own right.

Both towns have a strong community feel. Taxes will be close on a comparable home. I don't find either town to be exceptionally diverse.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 AM

326 posts, read 809,537 times
Over all Rutherford is a better Town but Westwood is perceived as a better town because of the area it is in. It is surrounded by more upscale towns and that seems to have an influence. There is a very large drug problem going in Westwood. There is the are around Sand Rd which is not great at all. There is talk that the schools will be in much worse shape in a few years because of some of these issues.
Rutherford has been a very stable area. The schools and residents have been consistent. It is a nice town, much nicer than the ones around it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl08 View Post
Over all Rutherford is a better Town but Westwood is perceived as a better town because of the area it is in. It is surrounded by more upscale towns and that seems to have an influence. There is a very large drug problem going in Westwood. There is the are around Sand Rd which is not great at all. There is talk that the schools will be in much worse shape in a few years because of some of these issues.
Rutherford has been a very stable area. The schools and residents have been consistent. It is a nice town, much nicer than the ones around it.
Its not really Sand Road , its just in General.... Rutherford has a small problem , but for now its staying small. I have no doubt in my mind , that all Bergen County Towns will have drug problems by the end of this decade , half have gangs....the Problem is in Bergen County unlike surrounding counties the problem is ignored...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey