Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
It's actually the biggest southeastern city when u look at the population, even bigger than Atlanta.
That's only for the city of Charlotte proper vs the city of Atlanta proper- the Atlanta metro area has more than twice the population of the Charlotte metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
That's only for the city of Charlotte proper vs the city of Atlanta proper- the Atlanta metro area has more than twice the population of the Charlotte metro.
By the Atlanta proper, do you mean just the city of Atlanta itself, and not the outlying area?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM

43 posts, read 94,086 times
I've heard a lot about San Diego and never once heard anything bad. Worst I've heard is the weather is so perfect it gets boring. I'll take boring over snow and ice personally. I only saw 24 hours of San Antonio after Air Force Boot camp and was pretty impressed at the diversity and the river walk is like the diversity tour bus on water. I always meant to go back. It's very unique.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting ting View Post
I've heard a lot about San Diego and never once heard anything bad. Worst I've heard is the weather is so perfect it gets boring. I'll take boring over snow and ice personally. I only saw 24 hours of San Antonio after Air Force Boot camp and was pretty impressed at the diversity and the river walk is like the diversity tour bus on water. I always meant to go back. It's very unique.
I love the diversity of San Antonio. And I do agree that it is a very unique city. One of the reasons I am so pressed to entertain the idea of even moving there.

Hmmm, I may look into San Diego.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
By the Atlanta proper, do you mean just the city of Atlanta itself, and not the outlying area?
Charlotte has 700,000 people. Atlanta has 4 or 500,000. He's saying the Atlanta metro area is bigger. But talking population within city-limits, Charlotte is bigger.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Yes. There's a large amount of unincorporated area in both Fulton and Dekalb Counties that has an "Atlanta" zip code, but isn't actually within t&e city boundaries. If you added in that population, the total population with an Atlanta zip code is probably more like 1.5 million. The actual city boundaries of Charlotte are much broader, hence the larger population.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
My girlfriend and I are strongly considering Portland, OR when she finishes up grad school in a few years. We're both NJ natives, but have been living in first Brooklyn and now Queens for a few years. However since she studies in Caldwell and I work in Edgewater, we're making a return to NJ to make the commutes easier for us.

I've been to Portland several times and love it, she knows what she reads and what I've told her but is pretty sold on it, it feels like such an ideal city for us. We're both big complainers when it comes to extreme weather (she hates cold, I hate heat) so the mild winters and summers are hugely appealing to us. Portland's mass transit is pretty good and getting better. It's also a very bike friendly city, big plus for us. It also being a craft beer mecca is like a magnet to me.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yes. There's a large amount of unincorporated area in both Fulton and Dekalb Counties that has an "Atlanta" zip code, but isn't actually within t&e city boundaries. If you added in that population, the total population with an Atlanta zip code is probably more like 1.5 million. The actual city boundaries of Charlotte are much broader, hence the larger population.
Ohhh, okay. This definitely makes sense to me. Thank you for the breakdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
My girlfriend and I are strongly considering Portland, OR when she finishes up grad school in a few years. We're both NJ natives, but have been living in first Brooklyn and now Queens for a few years. However since she studies in Caldwell and I work in Edgewater, we're making a return to NJ to make the commutes easier for us.

I've been to Portland several times and love it, she knows what she reads and what I've told her but is pretty sold on it, it feels like such an ideal city for us. We're both big complainers when it comes to extreme weather (she hates cold, I hate heat) so the mild winters and summers are hugely appealing to us. Portland's mass transit is pretty good and getting better. It's also a very bike friendly city, big plus for us. It also being a craft beer mecca is like a magnet to me.
Wow, I've never considered Portland, but you are definitely selling it to me! I can't stand cold weather nor extremely hot weather, so that is a plus! Going to check out Oregon as well (and their forum). I'll make my decision by September.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:34 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I want to move real soon as well. I have family in NC and while I know many people are flocking there, I still recommend it as well. Charlotte is a fairly diverse city and shorter winters. It's actually the biggest southeastern city when u look at the population, even bigger than Atlanta. I think almost all the south is growing. I'd say Charlotte or Ft Lauderdale is diverse among the southern part of the country. I want to move out of NJ but I want to stay within the culture I grew up in with warmer weather so I can be outside and do those fun things like ride a bike.
Just a nitpick... Charlotte is ENORMOUS geographically. Seems like you drive FAR out of the city but you are still technically in Charlotte. I think it's something like twice the land area of Atlanta; if you included suburbs around Atlanta (to be similar to Charlotte), it would be larger.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:37 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Wow, I've never considered Portland, but you are definitely selling it to me! I can't stand cold weather nor extremely hot weather, so that is a plus! Going to check out Oregon as well (and their forum). I'll make my decision by September.
Portland is good if you don't like the sun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey