Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:33 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,326,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm not sure of the net-net of our discussion. LOL you seemed to imply that far hills/bedminster are rich but not like ....? maplewood, west orange? sorry, just not getting it. lots of towns in NJ have "rich people" but that doesn't equal "rich town", and i think that's what the OP was asking?
Lets clear this up,
The rich from Manhatten who want to move to the country move to Bergen and Essex Counties.
The rich from Bergen and Essex counties who want to move to the country move to Somerset and Hunterdon counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM

327 posts, read 880,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Lets clear this up,
The rich from Manhatten who want to move to the country move to Bergen and Essex Counties.
The rich from Bergen and Essex counties who want to move to the country move to Somerset and Hunterdon counties.
co-signed

Old 03-04-2011, 10:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Lets clear this up,
Nah. It depends where you work.

Lots of people who live in BC live here because they work here.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:13 PM

18,423 posts, read 15,158,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i'm not sure of the net-net of our discussion. LOL you seemed to imply that far hills/bedminster are rich but not like ....? maplewood, west orange? sorry, just not getting it. lots of towns in NJ have "rich people" but that doesn't equal "rich town", and i think that's what the OP was asking?
Getting back on point? Now that is hitting below the belt. I dont even know how to answer that.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,663,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
Hello

What is the richest area in New Jersey? Where mostly rich people lives in, expensive cars, homes etc. ??
This sounds like you are looking for someplace to commit burglary.

Why do you care?

Old 03-04-2011, 03:39 PM

4,073 posts, read 4,116,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
I dunno, there is such a socioeconomic gap there. Can we really say that the teachers in WW are better than the teachers in EW? Well, the teachers in WW would probably take credit for those schools' success of course!

East Windsor's school district used to have a very good reputation.
This is the same reason why Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, etc always rank top for school. They have one thing in common, they only accept you if you are smart and have a lot of outside activity.

You try to put those same teachers to teach community and see if you can get the same outcome.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

19,056 posts, read 25,186,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
This is the same reason why Harvard, Yale, MIT, Columbia, etc always rank top for school. They have one thing in common, they only accept you if you are smart and have a lot of outside activity.

...or if you are an athlete whom they need for one of their teams.
...or, if you are a "legacy" (child of an alumnus who donates money to the college).
...or, if you are the child of a prominent foreign head of state.

Trust me, after 30 years as a school counselor, I can state authoritatively there are reasons for acceptance to Ivy League colleges and other top-ranked colleges beyond just being smart and having a lot of extracurricular activities.

Perhaps the most prominent case in point would be George W. Bush.
Do you REALLY think that he was accepted by Yale on the basis of his intelligence and his academic "accomplishments" at the high school level?
Do you REALLY think that Harvard accepted him for graduate study on the basis of his academic "accomplishments" as an undergraduate at Yale?
(Hint: Think about this carefully before answering.)

In the case of Princeton U., do you REALLY think that all of the children of foreign heads of state who are running around that campus are extremely bright? Trust me--they aren't.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 PM

133 posts, read 501,681 times
I live in East Windsor Township and would classify the school district as "average" for New Jersey... Definitely NOT poorly performing by any means. It gets a bad rap because it is CONSTANTLY being compared to the surrounding towns that are very elite (Princeton, Cranbury, Pennington and West Windsor). It may not be on the same level as West Windsor, but who cares? Unless your kid is a genious, he will not shine at West Windsor, so why would anyone put their kid through that? East Windsor Township is not a rich town, (It is middle class)but you certainly have to be making a decent salary to afford some of the single family McMansions. My neighbors live in 3500-4000 SFT homes at least $400-550k with $18,000.00 in property taxes...so it is definitely not a poor neighborhood!! There are BMW and Mercedes in many of their driveways etc...lots of new developments coming in the area. East Windsor is a great township in a great location with all the shopping you could imagine....and will continue to get better and better with all the new money coming in.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,353,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post

You try to put those same teachers to teach community and see if you can get the same outcome.
yeah, the world renowned professors and department heads and the top notch research centers at these schools have zero impact on the students. it's all the students.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:51 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,353,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...or if you are an athlete whom they need for one of their teams.
...or, if you are a "legacy" (child of an alumnus who donates money to the college).
...or, if you are the child of a prominent foreign head of state.

Trust me, after 30 years as a school counselor, I can state authoritatively there are reasons for acceptance to Ivy League colleges and other top-ranked colleges beyond just being smart and having a lot of extracurricular activities.

Perhaps the most prominent case in point would be George W. Bush.
Do you REALLY think that he was accepted by Yale on the basis of his intelligence and his academic "accomplishments" at the high school level?
Do you REALLY think that Harvard accepted him for graduate study on the basis of his academic "accomplishments" as an undergraduate at Yale?
(Hint: Think about this carefully before answering.)

In the case of Princeton U., do you REALLY think that all of the children of foreign heads of state who are running around that campus are extremely bright? Trust me--they aren't.
do MIT students know what the word sports means?

in all seriousness though, I bet this least applies to MIT out of all those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey