Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 41,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
this is exactly what i did with my 1st post.. noting Northeast Bergen County vs Western Essex (prime area vs prime area) as opposed to the entire county itself.. if we do apples to apples...

$12MM can get you nice home in 4 acre or so lot in prime Bergen...
No address is listed for this Alpine, Nj 07620 new home - MLS #1046462 - Realtor.com®

$12MM in prime Somerset can get you nice home with 80 acres..
Bedminster Twp, Nj 07921 home with no address listed - Homes for Sale - MLS #2827390 - Realtor.com®

of course, housing prices are just a part of "wealth" factor and not all inclusive..

...but 4 acres or so vs 80 acres for the same buck is pretty damn material....

though I do find prime Somerset nicer to the eye (rolling undeveloped/preserved lands), it's just much more expensive in prime Bergen..

hunterdon/somerset are comparatively rural to bergen/essex just as bergen/essex is comparatively rural to manhattan..

don't take it out of context..

the only reason why I responded was that you were the one who quickly pointed to the top 10 county list.. you still haven't responded to why New York County (Manhattan), Fairfield County (CT), etc etc don't fall in top 10 when there are much more wealth in said counties..

I agree with all of this strongly, and often make the same (or similar) points in my posts on these forums. But, one thing does have to be said in reply to this point:
Obviously $X buys you more in cheaper areas, but it would be a mistake to infer that higher real estate prices automatically means wealthier area. $12Million would buy you an even smaller lot in the Bronx or in Downtown Newark, but of course that doesn't mean that those areas are wealthier than N.E. Bergen.
Same $X would buy you even MORE acreage in rural New Mexico than it would in Somerset...
The point is that weight has to be given to the preponderance of expensive real estate and mansions in an area. So a rural county with cheap real estate could mean lots of cheap homes and trailers or it could mean use of that cheap real estate to build stunning 80 acre estates. The latter area is therefore a classic rich area. Just because the real estate is cheaper than elsewhere doesn't mean that the area isn't super rich.
So when you're comparing $12Million estates in Bergen and Somerset you're comparing Apples to Apples in the sense of price, but not in the sense of luxury. Obviously it costs more in Bergen, but if a certain amount of luxury is not available in location X, it shows up in location Y.
Point is that while real estate price is one measure, what OP is looking for is wealth magnets. If the wealthy move to Fairfield or Somerset so that they can have the kind of amenities they cannot have on Park Avenue, then Fairfield and Somerset become significant.
A standard measure of this kind of thing could be median or average house value in a neighborhood/town. This way you measure what people can afford to do with the available real estate prices. But doing this is tricky because in higher density areas, it's more difficult to delineate the wealthy neighborhoods and in lower density areas you're going to have very spread out concentrations of wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 04:10 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,324,681 times
Hello

What is the richest area in New Jersey? Where mostly rich people lives in, expensive cars, homes etc. ??

NFN but in the above question where does the OP ask about quality of schools?

He wants to know where the richest people live and that has been over-answered too many times.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:19 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,537,521 times
i was just on lbi to pick stuff up from my mom's summer house and picked up a listing on the street. 1500 square feet, 6 houses from the beach but no view and they are asking 779k. must be lots of ballers over there.

i was using a light jacket that i dont usually use so i didnt have poopy bags when i took my dog out when i got home. luckily i had that paper so i used it to pick up her poops.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:53 AM

25 posts, read 32,265 times
Thanks for responds

Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM

472 posts, read 807,864 times
Alpine, Franklin Lakes, Millburn, Essex Fells, Summit, Mendham, Bernardsville, and Colts Neck.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 28,569 times
Princeton

Old 04-15-2013, 05:18 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,137,373 times
This page listed the counties and then the towns by income:

New Jersey locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you scroll down to the second list you can click on the different headers (per capita, family, household) You get a different town topping each category!

Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM

32 posts, read 64,630 times
some areas that come to mind:
Alpine
Demarest
Edgewater
Princeton
Spring Lake
Elberon
Rumson
Short Hills

Old 05-04-2013, 07:20 AM

472 posts, read 807,864 times
Basking Ridge.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:00 AM

19,056 posts, read 25,182,447 times
Peapack-Gladstone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey