Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM

38 posts, read 229,444 times

Advertisements

I know a dozen people have asked these questions before, But for some reason I still can't find a clear answer as to where is a good place to move to in NJ. Right now, I want a place that is at most 45mins away from NYC(midtown 45th street) and cost less then 400k. Is it even possible to find a place like that?
I searched NJMLS,and tons of new construction sites and one place I found is the federal hills townhouses in perth amboy. I love the space in the townhouse, but the town look shady and pretty much ghetto. it is going thru major contructions but it'll probably take more then 10 years to see any major changes.
I'm still thinking about federal hills as an option, its close to the njtransit and bus line. any thoughts on that?
other places I'm looking in to:
morristown,
livingston,
rahway
piscatway
edison
any help would be greatly appreciated..

all the listings I found has houses in my range, but its either very old or

I'm only 24 , making around 100k...is 400k even possible for me to handle in NJ? or am i just dreaming? I just want a place I can call home..have a beer and a nice bbq with a couple of friends.
argh...why is it so hard ?!?!?..i have much to learn...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 12:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,779,909 times
Sent you a PM, I have my place for Sale that matches your needs.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:40 PM

thanks for the replies, but the house in clark is a bit over my price range..
and thanks for the information on clark. I'll definitely check them out.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,277,727 times
You'll likely never qualify for a $400k home on $100k/year unless you've got $100k or so to put down. The mortgage companies have started going back to the old guidelines (prior to all of the stupid loan programs that are now going into foreclosure), and are looking at +/- 3x salary for a maximum mortgage amount.

You might want to set your sights more in the $300k range, or higher if you've got a hefty DP.

Bob

Old 07-24-2007, 04:18 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,443,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hung8582 View Post
I know a dozen people have asked these questions before, But for some reason I still can't find a clear answer as to where is a good place to move to in NJ. Right now, I want a place that is at most 45mins away from NYC(midtown 45th street) and cost less then 400k. Is it even possible to find a place like that?
I searched NJMLS,and tons of new construction sites and one place I found is the federal hills townhouses in perth amboy. I love the space in the townhouse, but the town look shady and pretty much ghetto. it is going thru major contructions but it'll probably take more then 10 years to see any major changes.
I'm still thinking about federal hills as an option, its close to the njtransit and bus line. any thoughts on that?
other places I'm looking in to:
morristown,
livingston,
rahway
piscatway
edison
any help would be greatly appreciated..

all the listings I found has houses in my range, but its either very old or

I'm only 24 , making around 100k...is 400k even possible for me to handle in NJ? or am i just dreaming? I just want a place I can call home..have a beer and a nice bbq with a couple of friends.
argh...why is it so hard ?!?!?..i have much to learn...

Rahway also has a lot of developement going on downtown
but try to look in the Inman Hgts , Milton Lake Or The Hospital sections
and you won't be disappointed

Old 07-24-2007, 05:07 PM

do they have any websites up??

Old 07-24-2007, 05:14 PM

i can't seem to find any information on those places you are talking about...

Old 07-24-2007, 05:19 PM

Well, i won't be the only one working. my fiancee and I would be working together to build our family..so its double income, so i'll say we have 150k or so...not a huge jump..but a joint ownership would definitely help right?

Old 07-24-2007, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,542 times
Default City-Data says I can't tell you about my house I'm selling

I live in Clark which meets all your needs. I'm afraid to say anything now to posts like yours because while it is ok to ASK if there is house for sale for you, it is not ok for a forum member to suggest a home. I don't get it, but try to send me a private message (I saw this feature but not quite sure how to use it) or call me at 732-381-3301. Hope City-Data does not delete this too!!

Old 07-24-2007, 08:02 PM

687 posts, read 3,243,112 times
Quote:
Well, i won't be the only one working. my fiancee and I would be working together to build our family..so its double income, so i'll say we have 150k or so...not a huge jump..but a joint ownership would definitely help right?
Then you'd easily fall into an acceptable debt to income ratio (assuming you have good credit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey