Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 12:28 PM

9 posts, read 23,376 times

Advertisements

Hi All -

I'm finally returning to Jersey after 12 years of city living. My boyfriend and I have been living on the Upper West Side of NYC for the last three years, but are tired of paying so much rent (and so much for... everything) for so little space.

We will both be keeping our city jobs for the near future. We both work later hours, until 7 regularly, so an easy commute with a good time table is necessary.

We are looking to pay less than $1850 for a two bedroom and are hoping to get 1.5/2 baths and laundry in the building or the apt to save $$.

Our priorities are safety, good commute and a nice downtown, if not in the city we rent in than one within a 10/15 minute drive.

At this point, I'm not even sure if what I'm looking for in the above is reasonable since I've been out of the Jersey scene for so long and would appreciate the injection of some reality so that my expectations are more on target.

My first thought was Bergen county, but havent seen many condos/apt complexes that would be located in a place we could get by with one car. Perhaps I'm not searching the right sites? Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 02:37 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
You should be able to get something in your budget that fits most of what you want. One town I think is nice and is close to the city is Ridgefield Park. You can get NJT buses there, within walking distance, that will take you right to PA.

Do you have a car now? You'll probably want at least one car in NJ, but I don't think you'll need two as long as your commutes don't require it.

If you both work in the city until 7, and you don't have kids and need schools, I would just stay there. You're going to be getting home during the week around 8. And then on the weekends, you'll be in Jersey instead of the city. JMO, but I'm someone who would never live in NJ if I didn't have kids.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM

551 posts, read 1,188,130 times
Jersey City downtown, you will see ALL your New Yorker friends there too

Old 03-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
You should be able to get something in your budget that fits most of what you want. One town I think is nice and is close to the city is Ridgefield Park. You can get NJT buses there, within walking distance, that will take you right to PA.

Do you have a car now? You'll probably want at least one car in NJ, but I don't think you'll need two as long as your commutes don't require it.

If you both work in the city until 7, and you don't have kids and need schools, I would just stay there. You're going to be getting home during the week around 8. And then on the weekends, you'll be in Jersey instead of the city. JMO, but I'm someone who would never live in NJ if I didn't have kids.
Ha! My boyfriend has kids from his previous marriage. If we were just interested in a one bedroom for the two of us, we'd probably stay put in the city but the kids need more space when they are around and the cost of a two bedroom in the city is completely insane.

We do have one car now and are hoping to make that work. I'll look into Ridgefield Park. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Jersey City downtown, you will see ALL your New Yorker friends there too
I don't know much about Jersey City at all - Thanks. What areas of town are safe/nice?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,496 times
Why not look in the outer boroughs? My girlfriend and I currently live in Astoria Queens off the N/Q train, 15 min right into midtown, and have a huge 1 BR for $1,200. For that budget I think you could find a nice, spacious two br here. There's a lot of newer construction here that often have parking spots (might be a bit extra) and balconies. It's also a great neighborhood, we never leave, Manhattan barely exists to us.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laylamc View Post
Ha! My boyfriend has kids from his previous marriage. If we were just interested in a one bedroom for the two of us, we'd probably stay put in the city but the kids need more space when they are around and the cost of a two bedroom in the city is completely insane.

We do have one car now and are hoping to make that work. I'll look into Ridgefield Park. Thanks!
Oh gotcha, there are kids, that makes more sense.

One complex is on Scott Court. You might also be able to get an apartment in a two-family in your budget. One car is definitely enough there, you can just walk to the bus stops. There is also a nice town swim club for the summer.

It made a top ten towns list this year...
The 10 best places to raise a family - MSN Real Estate

GL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: