Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,757,041 times

Advertisements

Does anyone on here know where I can cash in a stock certificate? I am having the hardest time finding out where to do this at.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:46 AM

19,105 posts, read 25,295,618 times
More than likely, you will have to open an account with a brokerage firm, and after the account is opened, you can forward the certificate to the firm, along with a letter of instruction stating the terms of the stock sale. Make sure that your brokerage account is with a discount broker. Otherwise, excessive brokerage fees will eat up a significant portion of the sale proceeds.

Is the certificate issued in your name?
Or, do you have a death certificate for the person named on the certificate, along with a probated will stating that the shares are to be left to you? If not, you will have a very difficult time selling those shares.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,757,041 times
No, it's in our name. Not a problem there.

I heard some banks can do it, but have yet to find one that does. I really wanted to avoid opening a brokerage account. I can only imagine what the fees will be.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

19,105 posts, read 25,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I really wanted to avoid opening a brokerage account. I can only imagine what the fees will be.

The "Deep Discount" brokers actually charge very low fees.
A "Merrill-Lynch type" of broker could wind up charging you...hundreds of $$ for a transaction, while a "Scottrade type" of broker would probably charge less than $15.

Just make sure that you look at ALL of the fees that a brokerage charges. Some charge only a few dollars for a stock trade, but then impose "inactivity" fees if you don't continue to trade with them on a monthly basis.

Since I am essentially a Buy and Hold type of investor, I don't want to be charged for "inactivity", so my account is with Muriel Siebert & Co. She charges more for a trade than the "deep discount" brokers ($19.95, if I recall correctly), but there are no other fees.

Every year, both Kiplinger's magazine and Smart Money magazine publish reports on the best brokers in the full-service, discount, and deep-discount categories. If you visit your local library, you might be able to find the most recent issues where both of those mags gave details (including fees) of their high-rated brokers.

Last edited by Retriever; 03-08-2011 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 07:02 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,896,230 times
If you have a 401K with someone like Fidelity you can open a brokerage account over the phone and then walk your certificates into one of their NJ offices. Fidelity happens to charge a very small fee.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 AM

234 posts, read 939,293 times
I just saw this thread for the first time today, and I will suggest Scottrade.

I have a brokerage account with Scottrade and I can confirm that they charge nothing - not one cent - to open an account.

Every broker charges a commission to buy or sell securities, and Scottrade is one of the lowest. Their commission charge to sell your shares will be $7.00.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey