Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 09:05 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that Best Buy accepts electronic items for recycling also. If you can't get rid of it you might give then a call.
In ye days of olde we used to recycle them by trying to get the tube to crack, as kids, but I think there is lead involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Giant hulking old CRT television sets are hard to get rid of because no one wants them even if they are free. Even though you say the TV is in perfectly good working order, people will be worried that it's not, or that it will crap out after a short period, and then THEY are faced with the task of having to recycle it.

Are you in Essex County? You can't throw old TV sets out for bulk pick up anymore. If you put it curbside, the trash collectors will put a big red sticker on it saying you have to take it to the special electronics recycling event. The next one is in a couple of months:

Spring Computer and Electronics Recycling Day
Saturday, 9:00am - 3:00pm, Sat. May 21, 2011
Essex County Fleet Maintenance Garage
99 West Bradford Avenue, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009

(link here: ECUA: News and Events )

Hopefully, someone will be willing to take your TV and get more use out of it, but if not, just take it to the above location. It's really easy. Just load the TV into your car, drive there, and then you don't even have to help unload it once you're there...actually, they tell you to stay in your car and a bunch of guys will unload it for you.

You might also want to check the township website for your specific town. They might have their own electronics recycling event which might be more convenient for you if you don't want to drive to Cedar Grove.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM

41 posts, read 112,668 times
SUPER helpful!!! thanks. this seems pretty easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Giant hulking old CRT television sets are hard to get rid of because no one wants them even if they are free. Even though you say the TV is in perfectly good working order, people will be worried that it's not, or that it will crap out after a short period, and then THEY are faced with the task of having to recycle it.

Are you in Essex County? You can't throw old TV sets out for bulk pick up anymore. If you put it curbside, the trash collectors will put a big red sticker on it saying you have to take it to the special electronics recycling event. The next one is in a couple of months:

Spring Computer and Electronics Recycling Day
Saturday, 9:00am - 3:00pm, Sat. May 21, 2011
Essex County Fleet Maintenance Garage
99 West Bradford Avenue, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009

(link here: ECUA: News and Events )

Hopefully, someone will be willing to take your TV and get more use out of it, but if not, just take it to the above location. It's really easy. Just load the TV into your car, drive there, and then you don't even have to help unload it once you're there...actually, they tell you to stay in your car and a bunch of guys will unload it for you.

You might also want to check the township website for your specific town. They might have their own electronics recycling event which might be more convenient for you if you don't want to drive to Cedar Grove.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:29 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,964,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtomove12 View Post
SUPER helpful!!! thanks. this seems pretty easy
You're welcome! It IS very, very easy and painless.

I forgot to add--don't forget to bring proof that you're an Essex County resident. I've been to this thing 3 or 4 times, and they've NEVER asked to see my license or any ID, but just FYI.

They do have you fill out a really short, simple flier with your name and address, while you're waiting on line in your car, or waiting for the guys to unload your recyclables.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:36 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
pretty sure it is illegal to throw a TV in the garbage these days... FYI

Old 03-11-2011, 05:12 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
I work in nursing homes, and there are many residents in lower income nursing homes who have no TV's and no families to buy them one. Trying calling a couple in lower income areas, I'm sure the social worker will be able to give it to a resident who would love to have it.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I work in nursing homes, and there are many residents in lower income nursing homes who have no TV's and no families to buy them one. Trying calling a couple in lower income areas, I'm sure the social worker will be able to give it to a resident who would love to have it.
Just keep in mind with the older TV's that have NTSC tuners, you'll need a digital converter box, which pop up on Ebay a lot, and a dcent antenna depending how far away from the cities you are. But yes, it's the only REAL way to watch REAL TV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey