U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 5,170 times
Default Gay Friendly in Sussex/Morris County?

Well, this is probably a long shot but does anyone know of any gay friendly areas in Sussex (anywhere) or western Morris County, NJ (ie-Washington, Wharton, Netcong, Jefferson areas)? My wife and I are looking to buy a house and those areas gives you the best bang for buck - big houses, lots of property, low taxes, and pretty good schools. However, we're both concerned with potential issues from unaccepting neighbors. We're not expecting a welcoming commitee by any means but we'd like to not have a cross burned in our yard or our future kids ridiculed in school because they have 2 moms. We currently live in eastern Morris county and work in Essex so we're are all ready used to the stares and occasional whispers or rude remarks and aren't bothered by a little hostility. I'm all ready well aware of gay friendly towns in other areas of NJ but they're either too expensive, to crowded, or have crummy schools (Montclair, Maplewood, Hoboken, Jersey City, Asbury Park, Millburn, Morristown, S. Orange, ect are all off our lists.) Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 AM

3,053 posts, read 2,918,705 times
Have some gay friends who lived in Califon and felt comfortable there. If it too stereotypical to think that an area with arts/crafts might be a good candidate? Chester? Lafayette?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 3,502,305 times
Newton comes to mind, I lived there and there were at least 2 gay couples on our street and there was never any issues as far as I know.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 6,846 times
Try Newton or Sparta in Sussex County.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:49 AM

368 posts, read 406,094 times
OP,
No one really cares about that any more. Keep your home up, live a quiet life, mind your own business, and you'll get along fine.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,780,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
OP,
No one really cares about that any more. Keep your home up, live a quiet life, mind your own business, and you'll get along fine.
This would apply to any minority group and any majority group. Especially the "mind your own business" part and the "keep your home up" part.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,170 times
Thanks for the help guys. So far we've been looking in Jefferson, Hopatcong, and Stanhope - we haven't had an issue yet.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM

104 posts, read 89,311 times
Believe me when I say that Vernon is another choice. Beautiful surroundings, close to artsy Warwick, NY, relatively low taxes. There are openly gay students at the Vernon Township High School and quite a lot of gay men and women in Vernon.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:41 AM

628 posts, read 531,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
OP,
I wish it were true...
In general some neighbors mind their own business, while others are miserable human beings who don't have enough going on in their lives and want to spread that misery onto others. It makes me feel sad for them.

I wish the OP all the best in their search for a new home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey