Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family and I are looking to move to New Jersey in a couple of months and are looking for some ideas of where to live. We are originally from Canada, but are currently living in Geneva, Switzerland.
Moving due to my husbands work, which is located in Mahwah New Jersey. We also need to be close to Newark as my husband will be traveling alot. Preferably no more then 45 minutes between the office and airport.

We are hoping to buy something, with at least three bedrooms, budget is max. 600,000. We have a 2 year old daughter with another on the way and a dog, so a garden is also a must. Looking for a neighborhood that is safe, with good schools, families with young children, and an downtown area with restaurants markets etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated as we are a little overwhelmed as to where to begin.
Thanks,
Tanya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 PM

1,527 posts, read 4,064,037 times
Mahwah is only 45 minutes from the airport, so don't worry about that.

Maybe try Mahwah, Ramsey, Ho-Ho-Kus, Wyckoff. Your budget is on the low side though, I'm not sure exactly what you'll be able to get for that. Look on Realtor dot com and for those towns and you'll get an idea.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:28 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Take a look at Glen Rock

Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Thanks for the suggestions. Gives us a great staring point and makes the move not so daunting! I will take a look at the places suggested!

Old 03-11-2011, 08:22 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Try Waldwick too. Only 10 minutes from Mahwah and a solid, small-town community. Mahwah has a country feel but is too spread out IMO.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM

25 posts, read 32,354 times
Parles-vous Francais?

Move to Paramus. Heart of Bergen County, and between Mahwah and Newark.
Close to everywhere, has four major malls, great schools and everything!
There are both inexpensive to million $$ homes. However, it has no downtown, but plenty of restaurants spread out everywhere, and around malls.

Otherwise, move to any nearby town. All towns in Bergen County are good, except stay away from Hackensack, Dumont and New Milford if kids are going to schools.

Another great town I recommend is Ridgewood. Has among the best downtown. But homes are slightly more expensive, as well as taxes.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seme22 View Post
Parles-vous Francais?

Move to Paramus. Heart of Bergen County, and between Mahwah and Newark.
Close to everywhere, has four major malls, great schools and everything!
There are both inexpensive to million $$ homes. However, it has no downtown, but plenty of restaurants spread out everywhere, and around malls.

Otherwise, move to any nearby town. All towns in Bergen County are good, except stay away from Hackensack, Dumont and New Milford if kids are going to schools.

Another great town I recommend is Ridgewood. Has among the best downtown. But homes are slightly more expensive, as well as taxes.
Was it necessary to bold EVERYTHING in your post? Kinda takes away from the emphasis.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:14 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Having lived in NJ years ago, I wonder how Montclair or Glen Ridge would do? I recall very good neighborhoods, going against traffic in any commute, and very family friendly. Good restaurants along the main drags as well.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
Having lived in NJ years ago, I wonder how Montclair or Glen Ridge would do? I recall very good neighborhoods, going against traffic in any commute, and very family friendly. Good restaurants along the main drags as well.
Huh?

Old 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Huh?
I was scratching my head on this one too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey