Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,636,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moveornot View Post
Good to know that.

We do live in a rural part of MI, but I guess that does not count
I think I have a question...I'm not sure what state one lives in means in terms of getting into a good school. Are you saying you'd rather your child be at the top of a mediocre heap (I'm not saying your child is medocre, btw) instead of above average in a smart heap? Do schools really look at that - it's been awhile since I've been in school. If you're in an excellent school district now, and move to an area with excellent schools, what's the diff? I know about race/gender quotas and whatnot, but there are state quotas as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 03:51 PM

823 posts, read 2,212,737 times
It's not "quotas" but everything else being equal schools (private schools, state schools are a different deal) will take the kid from the fly over state over the kid from NJ (or NY or MI or other populous state). It won't vault you over people the way race will but it will break ties and give you an extra little edge. A kid with a lot of activities from North Dakota, where there is less opportunity for those sorts of things, looks better than a kid from NJ with those same activities where opportunities like that abound.

ETA: Absolutely. Assuming the class schedules were the same (AP classes, etc), I'd rather my kid by valedictorian of an average/below average HS than be in the middle of the pack of a school considered "good".

/Worked for a college counseling company for a few years. Knows all the tricks.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:55 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,920,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moveornot View Post
I hope we are on the right track: we are thinking of Basking Ridge, which seems to have a lot of housing choices of different price range, as well as rental properties, needed initially. Also eying Mountain Lakes/Boonton Township, but houses are more expensive there, and rental options are very limited. These towns all have good high schools. Chatham/Summit also have good HS but is also expensive and not as accessible to I287, which we need.
Mountain Lakes / Boonton Twp would be a great choice if you can swing the house payment. I would also suggest looking at Montville which is the next town over. Still not cheap, but great schools and right on 287.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:36 PM

202 posts, read 992,179 times
Elite universities definitely look for diversity in their student population whether they admit it or not. By diversity, I include: geography, race, sex, activities, athletics, etc.

Applicants are always competing with their own demographic more than the total applicant pool.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:40 PM

12 posts, read 131,674 times
PeteyNice

You are very knowledgeable about college entrance. It is great to hear your insight!

So what about middling states like IN, IA? Do they have any edge? or is it just very rural states, like Wyoming or North Dakota?

Any insight about race also very much appreciated. e.g., Is there a quota for a certain races, like Asian? Bottom line: should I be concerned as a father of a Asian freshman when moving from out of state to NJ? Should this be a factor of my move, or is it not significant enough to worry about?

Finally, using your logic, should we also consider reasonably good high schools, like Randolph High, not concentrating only on great schools, like Mountain Lakes/Ridge/Chatham, hoping that he will come at the top of the pack in a not so competitive school?

Many thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
It's not "quotas" but everything else being equal schools (private schools, state schools are a different deal) will take the kid from the fly over state over the kid from NJ (or NY or MI or other populous state). It won't vault you over people the way race will but it will break ties and give you an extra little edge. A kid with a lot of activities from North Dakota, where there is less opportunity for those sorts of things, looks better than a kid from NJ with those same activities where opportunities like that abound.

ETA: Absolutely. Assuming the class schedules were the same (AP classes, etc), I'd rather my kid by valedictorian of an average/below average HS than be in the middle of the pack of a school considered "good".

/Worked for a college counseling company for a few years. Knows all the tricks.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:50 PM

12 posts, read 131,674 times
Well said.

But is an applicant competing with their own demographic within the state, or within the country? E.g., NJ has a much high ratio of population of Asian. Is a NJ Asian applicant thus competing with a larger Asian pool than an Asian from a "whiter" state, all else being equal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka View Post
Elite universities definitely look for diversity in their student population whether they admit it or not. By diversity, I include: geography, race, sex, activities, athletics, etc.

Applicants are always competing with their own demographic more than the total applicant pool.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM

823 posts, read 2,212,737 times
Each school has its own process but that also changes year to year based on the applicant pool.

I don't know what those specific high schools offer as far as AP Classes and other advanced programs to say either way.

The key is to take as many AP Classes as you can and do well in them. I wouldn't let it be a factor in your move. It is a minor consideration. It won't make up for poor grades or test scores.

As for race. Unless you are black or latino it isn't going to help you. While it is true that you compete within your demographic to an extent you do also compete against the pool as a whole. All things being equal an Asian student from Iowa will have a better chance than an Asian student from NJ but all things are really never equal.

Also, just to add this since people go crazy about college admissions. Where you do your undergrad really does not matter much. As long as you do well you will be able to get into a good advanced degree program.

I don't want this to stray too far off topic. There are lots of forums that are devoted to college admissions.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:57 AM

114 posts, read 343,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Each school has its own process but that also changes year to year based on the applicant pool.

I don't know what those specific high schools offer as far as AP Classes and other advanced programs to say either way.

The key is to take as many AP Classes as you can and do well in them. I wouldn't let it be a factor in your move. It is a minor consideration. It won't make up for poor grades or test scores.

As for race. Unless you are black or latino it isn't going to help you. While it is true that you compete within your demographic to an extent you do also compete against the pool as a whole. All things being equal an Asian student from Iowa will have a better chance than an Asian student from NJ but all things are really never equal.

Also, just to add this since people go crazy about college admissions. Where you do your undergrad really does not matter much. As long as you do well you will be able to get into a good advanced degree program.

I don't want this to stray too far off topic. There are lots of forums that are devoted to college admissions.
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey