Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times

Advertisements

L'Oreal, Clark's last major factory, to leave town | NJ.com

More factory jobs are going away permanently, IT jobs are in the same trend as well.

Good Careers left:

Medical field (hard to get into)

Lawyer (expensive and need to get into a tier 1,2 or maybe 3 school otherwise you won't get a job)

Finance/Accounting

Politics (know the right person and you are golden)

Otherwise minimum wage or 10-12 an hour won't qualify you to be able to rent your own place. The main problem is the clinging to the past with no real solution to move forward as evidenced by this quote:

"We’ve done this dramatically in the 1940s when the Parkway came through. The town changed from a sleepy farm community to a thriving suburb," Toal said. "We can continue doing that. As long as we keep the town clean and safe, it will prosper."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 04:13 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
This was the last place I did contract work before we retired to NC. Too bad it is closing because it was a good place to work for a while. They started hiring contractors that used non English speaking workers and I guess they learned they could save a lot on money by moving to Mexico.

So I guess we will cross L'Oreal off our list of companies to do business with.

Our gov't could slap a high tariff on imported hair products from Mexico but you know that will not happen.

Congratulations to L'Oreal for contributing to our unemployment rolls.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
They aren't even an American company. Why would they care about our unemployment rolls?

Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
They aren't even an American company. Why would they care about our unemployment rolls?
This is true they had a good run in the USA and now they are moving on for cheap labor. There is nothing we can do about that but we can stop buying foreign made products.

As long as Americans buy cheap foreign products we will continue to lose jobs.( and they're not always cheaper)
Nobody really cares where the jobs go as long as they still have theirs.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:06 PM

158 posts, read 590,206 times
As long as people look to Walmart to save a few pennies, this country is doomed.

Buying essentials at Walmart that is made in America is not a problem. But all these Made in China non-durable consumer goods need to end.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:19 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Good luck with getting people to buy American. People will buy the cheaper product 99% of the time.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:55 PM

431 posts, read 942,672 times
Quote:
Good luck with getting people to buy American. People will buy the cheaper product 99% of the time.

I can't even find things made in the US, everything is made in China sadly

The German economy is booming. They can't get enough skilled workers, but they control immigration very tightly. Ask yourself, what's going on ?

Old 03-07-2011, 06:58 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
We need to get rid of compulsory unions. Unions are why American companies are no longer productive. Collective bargaining should be eliminated, and all wages should be determined by supply and demand. That is the ONLY thing that will ever bring jobs back to this country. Once again, you can thank collectivism for destroying our economy. As it always does. Let's try freedom. Let's just take a gamble, stop listening to the fear mongers, and just TRY IT!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
PDD

Quote:
So do you include yourself in that group? Have you looked into buying products made here?

I just bought a quality leather couch made in NC, it cost twice as much as one made in China but I did not send any of my money to China and I am on a fixed income.

I can least afford to buy American but I support American workers Union and non union as long as they are Americans.

If you choose to support China that's up to you but you better hope your employer doesn't decide to go foreign labor.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
We need to get rid of compulsory unions. Unions are why American companies are no longer productive. Collective bargaining should be eliminated, and all wages should be determined by supply and demand. That is the ONLY thing that will ever bring jobs back to this country. Once again, you can thank collectivism for destroying our economy. As it always does. Let's try freedom. Let's just take a gamble, stop listening to the fear mongers, and just TRY IT!
Our country is far less union now then it was in the 50's and 60's when our country was economically strong.
As long as manufacturers can find cheap labor overseas and as long as "American" support those companies will will continue to fall behind economically.

We need more workers here who pay taxes and we need less American Billionaires running their companies in China.

Buy American and support our workers.

USA Made Clothing Jeans and Shirts by All American
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey