Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 09:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webuser View Post
is there any problem with north NJ ie, Clifton, Wayne, Peterson area? I see most of the posts sugesting Edison and around. Is there any specific reason why central but not west and north?
There is no problem with North NJ
It is just cheaper in central and southern jersey so
you get more for your money

North Jersey has a Lot of very beautiful towns but
they are expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:22 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
You could try Livingston. Excellent schools, bus to NY and I believe they may have some townhouses in your price range. South Orange and Maplewood are both considerations if you are looking only at Elementary Schools. They both have train stations that go directly to Penn Station NY in about 35 minutes. The issue with all 3 of these towns is the hight property taxes.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
We will be putting our townhouse on the market in January (Whippany NJ). Transportation to the city is nearby within your specifications. If you are interested, PM me.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:42 PM

56 posts, read 290,760 times
Consider Essex County? There are townhomes locally in your price range. Verona has terrific school system, as does Glen Ridge, Brookdale/Oakview sections of Bloomfield, Pleasantdale section of West Orange, Montclair. Many folks think it's too expensive here, but the changing market has homes in that range. It's also a commuter type setting with most places having at the minimum bus service to Port Authority in NYC or midtown direct trains to Penn Station, NYC. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 PM

31 posts, read 105,865 times
Check out Red Bank or Little Silver. One hour commute by train. Easy to find a nice townhome or single-family home for $500K. And you're at THE SHORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:08 PM

1,215 posts, read 3,291,036 times
The north vs. south discussion -- or arguement, depending on how you look at it, LOL -- has been long debated. You may appear to get "more" for your money or "more" bang for your buck in, let's say, central NJ than you would in north NJ. On the surface, this may appear to be true. However, when looking at the situation more globally, it might not be true.

Yes, you need to look at commute time, quality of life, quantity of life, and many other aspects. You should also be looking at ROI -- in totality. Real estate -- an asset -- in north NJ, closer to NYC, will always be "more valuable" than in central or south NJ. You need to look at that.

I also would look very hard at the commute. Many people mean different things when they throw around time, how long it takes, etc. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:48 PM

9 posts, read 65,757 times
You can consider Nutley . The elementry school system is highly rated ( check greatschools.net ) . It's a safe small town with nice parks and easy commute to nyc . I think the townhomes in Cambridge Heights range between 450 - 500 K .

Old 10-25-2007, 06:35 AM

20 posts, read 74,204 times
Im in Long Valley (its a bit further but worth it) by car it might take about 1 1/2 hrs to get to the city during rush hour with most of the traffic being around rockaway, 287 and the bridge (about 35 mins otherwise) but you have a train station in Hackettstown and Netcong both about 10 minutes away (I goofed up last week and left my truck at the station in Netcong UNLOCKED W/ MY KEYS IN IT only to come back and find it just how I left it) and they are building a nice station right off 80 at exit 30 we dont have that many condo / town home devoplements but the single families here start around 350 and go UP from there most are around 450 - 600. our taxes while still crayzee aren't really that bad mine run around $4500 a year and I have a 3 bedroom on a full acre my only draw back is I bought an older home so I only have 1 bathroom. They just opened a thrid elementry school last year which my youngest goes to and its a great school. the area is quite, safe and still really pretty. most of our shopping is 10 minutes away in Hackettstown or Budd Lake. the sports programs here for the kids are good, we have a few really nice parks and a great library with some good programs for the kids. To me the trade off was well worth it. While I like most of the areas mentioned I like the fact that our setting here is more rural. I lock my house when I leave but never at night and most of the time I leave my keys in the car when Im home I dont think I've ever locked my truck when I've left it at the muncipal lot in Hackettstown and I spend alot of time walking through the little shops on main street there. My husband has lived here most of his life (except the 3 years we were in Lake Hopatcong) and he's never known anyone whos had their home broken into or car stolen from home in our area like I said though the drive is a bit further and the bus service is lacking to say the least but................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey