U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2011, 11:08 PM

13,172 posts, read 13,206,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The money spent on Abbott schools come out of what allocated fund?

General? Education?

Of course there would be a lot more money if Abbott schools went "smell ya later". But that's not going to happen.

Just like if teachers had conceded to pay 1.5% toward their HC premiums.

And where would that extra $$ go to anyway? Roads? Preservation? Paying down the debt? You don't know where it would be allocated, so can't assume it would go to funding public schools.

The reality is that 75-80% of a school budget is spent on compensation. And the reality is that no matter what social funding you cut (even teacher benefits)...you don't know where that savings is going to go especially when a state is in as much debt as NJ.
My sister & brother-in-law have paid towards their pension since day one, in 1975. They have also been paying more than 1.5% for healthcare & they're going to get a 1.5% surcharge on top of that.

Want to get your property taxes down? Check into the law. The state is supposed to kick in to all of the school districts, but that's not happening. Abbott is probably creating an illegal situation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 09:16 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
My sister & brother-in-law have paid towards their pension since day one, in 1975. They have also been paying more than 1.5% for healthcare & they're going to get a 1.5% surcharge on top of that.

Want to get your property taxes down? Check into the law. The state is supposed to kick in to all of the school districts, but that's not happening. Abbott is probably creating an illegal situation.
But that's not all teachers. Up until 2009 only an average of 12% of teachers have been contributing toward their HC premiums. The actual premium, not the co-pay or deductible.

Abbott is legal - unfortunately. Someone wanted to make sure urban schools had as much funding as suburban schools did - even if there was hardly the same amount of money coming from the urban districts (in the form of property taxes) to support their schools as there was in suburban areas.

Equality for all and spread the wealth. For the kids. Even when suburban schools are falling apart, that Abbott gets the $300M brand new HS. My town builds a $200M brand new HS and my property taxes go up. More room for kids, more classes.... more teachers. State don't pay for that!

My kids are in private b/c no matter the multi-million dollar "pretty" building with all the bells and whistles....it doesn't change who attends.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
But that's not all teachers. Up until 2009 only an average of 12% of teachers have been contributing toward their HC premiums. The actual premium, not the co-pay or deductible.

Abbott is legal - unfortunately. Someone wanted to make sure urban schools had as much funding as suburban schools did - even if there was hardly the same amount of money coming from the urban districts (in the form of property taxes) to support their schools as there was in suburban areas.

Equality for all and spread the wealth. For the kids. Even when suburban schools are falling apart, that Abbott gets the $300M brand new HS. My town builds a $200M brand new HS and my property taxes go up. More room for kids, more classes.... more teachers. State don't pay for that!

My kids are in private b/c no matter the multi-million dollar "pretty" building with all the bells and whistles....it doesn't change who attends.
Years ago the Philadelphia Inquirer Sunday magazine did a lengthy story about the woman responsible for Abbott. It was not a glowing account.

I'm sure the concept is legal, but at this point the state legislature has squandered all of the money including the pension fund. At this point, with the state not funding all schools in order to fund the Abbott districts, it just might be illegal.

My sister & brother-in-law have been paying the top amount towards their health insurance premium & each had to carry it, because in their district you could only carry 1 dependant at a reasonable rate & anyone addditional was very expensive.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,188,730 times
It does make you wonder exactly where all the Abbott money goes. It can't all be going to salaries of teachers and administrators.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
It does make you wonder exactly where all the Abbott money goes. It can't all be going to salaries of teachers and administrators.
Just my opinion but I think that it's loaded with graft. I do think that it could be successfully challenged in the courts at this point.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM

12,079 posts, read 9,397,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
Unions give to Democrats in support of their own financial interests.
not that i'm a fan of the NJEA in general, but this is part of what they do. teachers, collectively, want certain things. so, they band together and donate as one entity, to pool their power, just as a company would do. individually, a teacher can't fund an ad as to why they disagree with the governor. i don't see any problem with NJEA spending $6.6M on advertising to support their cause. If it's what their members believe in and how they think it's most effective, that's their right.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:07 AM

1,528 posts, read 2,147,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
not that i'm a fan of the NJEA in general, but this is part of what they do. teachers, collectively, want certain things. so, they band together and donate as one entity, to pool their power, just as a company would do. individually, a teacher can't fund an ad as to why they disagree with the governor. i don't see any problem with NJEA spending $6.6M on advertising to support their cause. If it's what their members believe in and how they think it's most effective, that's their right.
Yes, I think the teachers/unions are acting rationally.
I just have a problem with all of the laws (binding arbitration, etc).
Who is lobbying for the taxpayers?

Old 03-18-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Binding arbitration is federal.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:41 PM

1,528 posts, read 2,147,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Binding arbitration is federal.
Maybe it's Federal also, but it's also an NJ law.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM

12,079 posts, read 9,397,007 times
Quote:
well, it's the taxpayers' fault that they continue to elect politicians that can't balance a checkbook, or fund obligations that they commit to. it's called....VOTE! i keep seeing the same people in office. and that's not unique to NJ either. low voter participation in this country can be the blame for a lot of things in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey