U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,880,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I think the only ones that should care what they spend money on is the teachers who are funding it.
I get your point. But I don't agree.

So the NJEA takes almost 7M and spends them on ads. For whom? Folks who already agree with the NJEA?

The NJEA is so powerful in NJ, and always has been, they don't REALLY need to run such large ad campaigns. Especially when they've spent 400K on advertising campaigns, in the past, it hasn't changed how many are "for" or "against" the union.

This isn't some "new idea" the NJEA needs to rally around. The NJEA has been a thorn in tax payers sides waaaay pre-Christie.

The difference is that no one called the NJEA out to this extent UNTIL Christie.

So NOW the NJEA is scrambling at the cost of their members.

Quote:
and even the union concedes it earned little extra credit with voters.
NJEA spent $6.6M on ads | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

What a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 11:37 PM

4,878 posts, read 2,880,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the unions spend money on politics because it yeilds them a nice return on their investment. its ridiculous for people to criticize unions based on the money they spend. if they dont like it, work on solving the problem that every single politician and all of their individual votes are bought by somebody. everything a politician does is paid for by some special interest. everything, every politician. we see it as corruption and they see it as their job. but we all really know but conveniently forget. i mean what are we supposed to believe the job of lobbyist is? they are people that help funnel the money to the right politicians and help politicians find people looking to funnel money to them for their services. thats what politics is.

The money was invested in advertising, not backing a Christie opposer during an election.

The NJEA spent the money to try to cover it's ass.

Didn't work.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:28 AM

2,593 posts, read 1,399,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Whats next big business wanting more profits at our expense? Oh my god!!! Better yet bailouts with our money...let me guess thats next???
What do you expect? Wall street runs the government. If you don't like it, then vote for someone who didn't receive bride, I meant contributions from Wall street. Every president since Clinton have Wall street people with them. This included the beloved Obama who campaigned to fight Wall Street. Every government finance/economic positions have connection with Goldman. This included our Treasury and Fed chairman.

If you don't like it, then change the system. STOP voting republican because you are republican or democrats because you are democrats. Vote for someone who represents what you believe in. STOP voting for a black man/woman because you are black, etc. Vote for someone who represent you.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 AM

4,128 posts, read 7,831,723 times
The members of NJEA pay their hard earned dues and the leaders spend it the way the want. Where else can you be guaranteed a job and benefits like they have? Reminds me of organized crime!

Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 AM

1,528 posts, read 2,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
The members of NJEA pay their hard earned dues and the leaders spend it the way the want. Where else can you be guaranteed a job and benefits like they have? Reminds me of organized crime!
Not sure it's organized crime, but it is a cartel.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

17,717 posts, read 14,584,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The money was invested in advertising, not backing a Christie opposer during an election.

The NJEA spent the money to try to cover it's ass.

Didn't work.
i still dont see whats wrong with that. a big part of what unions do is marketing themselves.

i also dont see failure as a problem. not everything is a success but that cant stop you from trying or you wont ever succeed.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 AM

326 posts, read 500,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i still dont see whats wrong with that. a big part of what unions do is marketing themselves.
Isn't another big part supposedly serving the teachers that contributed to that $7MM..

All this time we heard we need more money "for the kids."

Meanwhile there's $7MM, and who knows how much more sitting on the sidelines spent on ineffective ads.

$550,000
in earnings just last year for NJ Teacher Union head...

Head Of NJ Teachers' Union Makes $550,000 A Year--2X As Much As The Governor And 10X The Average American

Head Of NJ Teachers' Union Makes $550,000 A Year--2X As Much As The Governor And 10X The Average American

If I were a teacher I'd be asking why am I contributing to a union that places its priority for its members first, over the the people it supposedly "serves" who actually contributed to the $7MM (and who knows how much more).

Last edited by newjitty; 03-15-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-15-2011, 10:58 AM

17,579 posts, read 21,188,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I get your point. But I don't agree.

So the NJEA takes almost 7M and spends them on ads. For whom? Folks who already agree with the NJEA?

The NJEA is so powerful in NJ, and always has been, they don't REALLY need to run such large ad campaigns. Especially when they've spent 400K on advertising campaigns, in the past, it hasn't changed how many are "for" or "against" the union.

This isn't some "new idea" the NJEA needs to rally around. The NJEA has been a thorn in tax payers sides waaaay pre-Christie.

The difference is that no one called the NJEA out to this extent UNTIL Christie.

So NOW the NJEA is scrambling at the cost of their members.

NJEA spent $6.6M on ads | Courier-Post | courierpostonline.com

What a waste.
Again, unless you are a teacher who is funding this why on earth would you care?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

326 posts, read 500,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Again, unless you are a teacher who is funding this why on earth would you care?

Strawman, teacher salary comes directly from taxpayers.

Look I can play this game too.

Why should a teacher care about how much a Wall Street CEO makes, unless he's actually a Wall Street CEO?

Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM

1,528 posts, read 2,149,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post

If I were a teacher I'd be asking why am I contributing to a union that places its priority for its members first, over the the people it supposedly "serves" who actually contributed to the $7MM (and who knows how much more).
Well, I think the NJEA has been wildly effective for all of its members.

They have also been wildly successful at conflating what is good for its members with what is good for families and students.

On some of these things, like small class size, the two groups' interests might indeed overlap. On others, like benefits and pensions that are contributing to stratospheric property tax levels, the two groups' interests don't overlap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey