Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 01:46 AM

6 posts, read 23,766 times

Advertisements

A couple of other places I was looking at were near or on Broad Street 1 mile or so south/southeast of the njit campus and I guess a half a mile south of the Broad Street/Market St intersection. Any opinions on that area? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 02:08 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,315,054 times
If I were you I would stick to the Ironbound section (a.k.a Down Neck)...that's your best bet. I wouldn't rent an apartment in the Mt. Prospect area. Although Branch Brook Park is know for it's Cherry Blossoms and can be a tourist attraction, it's not what it used to be. That particular area has a decently high crime rate and definitely a high drug rate. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of drug busts right in the area where the park meets Belleville. However, like a few people said in here already, it is pretty safe in and around the Seton Hall and Rutgers districts. If I'm not mistaken, NJIT is near the courthouse and jail (take it whatever way you want, but there are obviously plenty of police officers around). If you are looking to live outside of Newark while attending school, the areas mentioned are a decent choice, Belleville, Kearny, Harrison, N. Arlington, Bloomfield. And definitely heed the advice of trying to avoid the Weequahic and Vailsburg sections (anything close to Elizabeth/Irvington/East Orange borders). My dad was a Newark Homicide Det. for, well, my whole life...those are not sections you'd want to move to.

Stay away from Broad and Market too. Very busy over there and has never been known to be a nice intersection.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,766 times
I talked to a couple people I know in the area and they say that Branch Brook Park is a definite no no, especially for someone living alone like myself. Most of the suggestions seem to echo what's been said on these boards, to live in an area like Kearny, Belleville, Harrison, maybe even Jersey City. The search continues. Any more suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:43 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,315,054 times
I wouldn't be too keen on Jersey City either honestly, it's not to far above on the totem pole. Also, it's not that close to Newark unless you go on the turnpike, which can be h*ll depending on when you get on. There are other routes between Nwk and JC but it's all pure traffic.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 7,220 times
Nice pics of Newark, but all of them (with the exception of NJPAC) are not "recent redevelopment".

I graduated from NJIT three years ago and worked in downtown Newark in the 1990's. I nver had any problems with the exception of one time where my my car windows were smashed on a cold February night during an evening class. My car was parked just outside of the ball field, a well lit area.

Coworkers of mine had there cars stolen when working overtime on the weekends.

My advise is just keep cool and use common sence, for the most part it is safe (just around the school), but keep your guards up.

I used to pass some red lights leaving the school at night to get to Route 280!

Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,896,171 times
Default same idea

my 2 cents: Make a visit to the local Police Department. They may have some guidance & suggestions for you (ie area's to avoid)

ps Also while you are there, asking them if you could buy one of their local PBA teeshirts wouldn't hurt

Old 12-01-2006, 06:03 AM

276 posts, read 744,733 times
you guys are so scared! look let me make a couple of assumptions: are you young (21-25)? single? asian indian? male?

if so, there are a TRUCK LOAD of you guys around NJIT, all the TIME! It is perfectly safe. Newark is NOT for families, but everyone on the planet knows that.

i went to grad school there, and i am telling you, its no sweat at all. there are plenty of police walking around all the time, NJIT has great private security, and all of the students know where to venture. Meet up with a couple and ask the appropriate questions. get student housing--they share with RU-newark. the campus is only 1 block away. tons and tons of students on THREE campuses there--all without major incident.

dont buy, rent. and rent near or on campus.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:21 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,578,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeForSale View Post
my 2 cents: Make a visit to the local Police Department. They may have some guidance & suggestions for you (ie area's to avoid)

ps Also while you are there, asking them if you could buy one of their local PBA teeshirts wouldn't hurt
Don't forget the donuts! If I had my preference I would say The Ironbound Section. There are many multi family homes in the area and you may be able to get a decent deal on an apartment. Just like any other big city don't be lulled into a false sense of security if you find an area that's safe. Keep alert and you should be fine. Just curious isn't there a student website or bulletin board that may be able to help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey