Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 09:26 PM

8 posts, read 17,186 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend has been living in a house with 2 guy room mates since Sept 2010. He has a crazy work schedule with different hours every week. Before they signed anything, they met up. There was a discussion and understanding about his hours. They each had their own leases to sign and pay different amounts for rent. My boyfriend pays the most because he took the biggest room with his own bathroom. But everything else is split between them. Landlord pays for water.
There have been a lot of problems with the room mates. My boyfriend has had to put out a lot of money for cleaning supplies, some shared food supplies too. No one else was going out and buying anything, even if he would ask.
They then decided to each supply themselves with certain things such as sugar and half and half for coffee because he was always having to go and get it. They never clean up any of the messes they make, EVER. It is usually me or him cleaning when I am there. I respect other people that do live there. I keep noise down, shut off lights, turn down heat before I leave, ect... if no one else is there to save their money. I always make sure before I leave everything is cleaned up. But recently, I have stopped cleaning up after them and just me and my boyfriends messes. I cant help myself sometimes because I cant stand it. I dont know how people live like this.
One day I was going through the fridge and it took me a long time just to make a simple breakfast because there was stuff everywhere. So, him and I decide to empty it out and clean it. That was a task in itself. The people that lived there before them were filthy and the room mates are also filthy. We clean everything out and organize everything in such a way it would be easy to find everything. Of course, a week later, it was a mess again. The garbage has been left by the back door and animals get to it and then there is garbage everywhere! Once it was left there and used condoms were all over the deck. I did not clean that up. The list goes on about the disregard for keeping a clean house and basically leaving it for us to clean up. Many times my boyfriend has had to talk to them about this. They are really disgusting!!

Since his one room mate started dating his girlfriend, there have been many more problems as well. As a couple, they are very obnoxious. Fighting a lot, slamming doors,yelling...having people over all the time at very late hours and making tons of noise while my boyfriend would be trying to sleep either from a long day at work or preparing for a long day.
She always acts as if it was her and the room mates place and we were invading them. She is very loud. Waking us up a lot of times because of her loud voice. Baning things around and stomping around the house, slamming doors, you name it!! She has also stated her opinion more then once, and not in a nice way either. This is very frustrating for me because I never say anything. I do not have any right to do so. I don't pay rent or bills there so I always keep my mouth shut. If I had any complaints, I would go to my boyfriend about it and he handles it. She does not live there either or pay rent.

About 3 months ago, I started noticing that she is ALWAYS THERE!!! I am there maybe 2 days a week...so I said to him, shes living here and they didn't say anything to anyone. He did not agree at first. But I kept saying she is living here. His complaints to me made it very clear that she is living there. Then it just got progressively worse from there. Now, she has been there everyday for at least 2 1/2 months! I said to him, he has to go to the room mate and say something about this. He finally did a few days ago while the room mate mentioned that SHE wants to move out because of the other other room mate which is his brother. So when he said, does she live here? The answer was "pretty much" My boyfriend then said to him, well if she is living here and always wants to have an opinion, make noise and be disrespectful, she has to pay rent with you and split the rest of the bills 4 ways then. Of course there was an argument about it, saying they are sharing a room and using the same resources. NO. The bills are more money now because of her being there everyday. Especially since she leaves lights on, and the coffee pot all day, ect...There was nothing ever said to him or the other room mate. Not even asking if it would be OK. Nothing was presented to them either in writing by them. They just went ahead and did this. IS THIS LEGAL???? CAN HE BREAK HIS LEASE AND GET HIS SECURITY DEPOSIT BACK??

I feel he is wasting his money paying for someone else to live there for free. I never get involved with any of the conversations they have had if I was there. I never say a word about my opinion either. I told him to contact the landlords and tell them what has been going on. She is not on the lease and should be paying something. They are disgusting people to live with and maybe thats not enough of a complaint, but I told him to take pictures of their messes as well. He doesnt need to come home to this garbage everyday either. He deserves his quiet time just like they get, but it seems like he never gets to do that because of the messes and the aggrivation of her being there everyday..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
When is your boyfriend's lease up?

Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM

His lease is up in September of this year. I also would like to add that when my boyfriend confronted his room mate about his girlfriend being there everyday and not paying rent, he needs to tell her that she cant stay there everyday if she is not willing to split any of the bills. Nothing has changed and the room mate obviously never said anything to his girlfriend because she is still there everyday.
When my boyfriend approached them a few weeks ago about the cleaning situation, and her being so loud and disrespectful, I did not get involved or was even present during the conversation. I stayed in his room.
Of course she had to argue with him. She also said that all 5 of us live there. His answer was no you and my girlfriend are guests here. This is your boyfriend, his brother and my house. You need to be mindful of people that do live here.
My boyfriend does not want it to get ugly, but he is reaching his breaking point. I also am too because I come there to be with him, not listen to the nonsense and clean up after people that think they live in a frat house.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:25 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,623 times
Most leases are written to limit the occupants and have a clause that state only the people on the lease may reside there and those directly related to the person on the lease. Once again, I would look over the lease and see what it says. If he can't find his copy the landlord will have a copy as well.

This is why I don't miss living with other people - although the bills were nice. My first apartment was with 3 other guys - my rent, cable, and utilities were no more than 285/month. LOVED IT!

Good luck!!!

Joey

Old 03-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Yes he is going to look over the lease again and go to the landlords about this. I really am hoping that he can move out and get his deposit back or work something out with them. I highly doubt anything will be worked out since there already was an argument about her paying anything. The bills are nice to be split with other people, but it seriously is not worth this aggravation!!
It really was not supposed to be this way. It is disappointing because they are nice people. Since she came into the picture, it has caused much more problems. = (
Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey