U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM

382 posts, read 1,035,549 times

Advertisements

Hi, as some of you may remember, my hubby and I have been desperately looking for a place to live as we are in an awful rental situation. Now we are both depending on SS for our primary income so we really have limited options. My hubby may be getting some part-time work come May, but we don't want to count on it, knowing how crazy times are.

No more renting for us-we believe that purchasing a mobile home-at least we will OWN something-is our only option at this time. So we went to 3 different parks and looked at a few. Now I feel very hemmed and this is not my ideal way to live but I realize that sometimes we have to take drastic measures.

I was really surprised at the large number of mobile homes for sale in two out of the three parks we visited. I mean, one almost had a For Sale sign in every other home! The one park that didn't was unfortunately very small and the mobile home for sale was so tiny I was wondering how more than two people could comfortably occupy it (i.e., if I invited family over, where would they all fit?).

In this economic climate, a mobile home may prove a solution for a roof over our heads. But I was becoming suspicious about the quality of the parks we visited. In one, the water was pretty rusty, a problem which should be addressed by the park owners. NJ provides a certificate that parks are providing decent water, and this one definitely didn't have it. In the other, we were told that the manager-owner was very nasty and would jump on people for any perceived infraction.

Are most parks this way? I cannot imagine what life would be like having to worry about every little thing that might upset the "management". I would love to hear from some folks about their own experiences or those of friends/family.

As always, I thank you guys for taking the time to read and perhaps respond. Please be kind, my nerves are shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 06:56 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
I would definitely forget the one with the nasty owner, manager. You don't need that sort of problem. You're looking for a place to call home, a place where you can relax, unwind.

I'm rather surprised that a park in NJ can get away with piping in rusty water. No one has anonymously ratted them out? You can still find a public pay phone here and there.

I know a few people who live in mobile homes, but they are not in NJ, so it doesn't illuminate your plight or search.

I, too, would wonder why so many homes are for sale in a park. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 AM

252 posts, read 481,737 times
Hope that you are out from your financial crisis.
I stay in Canada and they build custom mobile homes of 1419sq ft - 2000 sq ft. And they are of high quality with 15 yrs of warranty.
If you could be in Canada then you could actually stay in a home and not a cheap mobile home

Old 08-08-2013, 06:29 AM

7,405 posts, read 7,360,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
Hi, as some of you may remember, my hubby and I have been desperately looking for a place to live as we are in an awful rental situation. Now we are both depending on SS for our primary income so we really have limited options. My hubby may be getting some part-time work come May, but we don't want to count on it, knowing how crazy times are.

No more renting for us-we believe that purchasing a mobile home-at least we will OWN something-is our only option at this time. So we went to 3 different parks and looked at a few. Now I feel very hemmed and this is not my ideal way to live but I realize that sometimes we have to take drastic measures.

I was really surprised at the large number of mobile homes for sale in two out of the three parks we visited. I mean, one almost had a For Sale sign in every other home! The one park that didn't was unfortunately very small and the mobile home for sale was so tiny I was wondering how more than two people could comfortably occupy it (i.e., if I invited family over, where would they all fit?).

In this economic climate, a mobile home may prove a solution for a roof over our heads. But I was becoming suspicious about the quality of the parks we visited. In one, the water was pretty rusty, a problem which should be addressed by the park owners. NJ provides a certificate that parks are providing decent water, and this one definitely didn't have it. In the other, we were told that the manager-owner was very nasty and would jump on people for any perceived infraction.

Are most parks this way? I cannot imagine what life would be like having to worry about every little thing that might upset the "management". I would love to hear from some folks about their own experiences or those of friends/family.

As always, I thank you guys for taking the time to read and perhaps respond. Please be kind, my nerves are shot.
A mobile home park is New Jersey is always going to be a marginal existence with lots of broke people in tight spaces. Always plenty of divorcees and broken homes. People who cannot afford something better. Do not confuse mobile home existence with home ownership. A mobile home is not real estate.You cannot get a mortgage on it. It is personal property like a travel trailer. So you "own" it like you own a car. Frankly, renting in a garden apartment complex is probably a superior existence. Crime is usually an issue in mobile home parks also. Like any other place where money is tight. Check with the police in the area where you are considering. You will often find a ton of domestic calls to mobile home parks. I don't think it's a great option at all.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

Default Thanks For the Suggestions

I was pleased to see the replies to my older posts. I am sorry to report that since writing the first post, thngs have gone from bad to worse. We are now living in a senior co-op which is a safe and decent place to live, but we had to purchase a stock certificate that gives us the right to live in one of their units (each building contains 4 units). The monthly fee is low ($300) and covers a lot of repairs and maintenance.

It's OK. The average age here is 72 and being on the younger side of that scale, we don't quite feel that we fit in. There is an aura of "end of the road". Hard to explain. However, we moved to this area in hopes that my hubby could pick up a couple of days a month working as an LPN. Our reasoning was that since there are so many senior complexes around, surely there would be home care jobs. Nope. They advertise, he applies, and then they tell him it's been too long since he worked or find some other excuse (oh, we only have pediatric cases). My belief is that they feel he is simply too old.

If only one person had mentioned how utterly over-populated it was around here and how horrible the traffic is we would never have moved anywhere near the Toms River area. We are country people! Now we are stuck in an area we hate (even my doctor told me to move, that the stress of driving around here is wrecking my health) with no way to get out.

Since I first wrote my hubby was diagnosed with life-threatening heart disease and underwent a triple bypass. Three months after that I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent 2 surgeries. We have almost no disposable income left now. Feeling stuck in an area you hate to live in and seeing no way out is very, very depressing. I can see no solution now and am at my wit's end. We are thinking that we could try to sell our stock certificate, buy a cheap camper or whatever and hit the road--a dream I have always had. Then we may be able to find other opportunities or at least a place where it is bearable to live and not come home from any driving excursion with hands and knees trembling. Sometimes when I get home from a shopping trip or doctor's appt. I almost feel like getting on my knees and kissing the ground; yup, that's how nerve wracking it is for me.

There is one mobile home park in Jackson that seems way above the rest. It is an over-55 establishment and even have some modular homes on the property as well. It is very clean, well-kept and when I spoke to several residents (this was years ago) they had nothing but really nice things to say about the place. But that was back then and now even trying to pay the land lease fee there would be straining our resources to the limit.

I want to thank everyone who took an interest in our plight. At this point we can see no way out. Our current living arrangement was just going to be temporary. We did learn one lesson, though. Be sure to really check out an area on your own without a real estate agent pointing out all the "wonderful" benefits that in the end come at a huge cost to one's peace of mind and health.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:42 AM

3,994 posts, read 8,726,638 times
Quote:
I was pleased to see the replies to my older posts. I am sorry to report that since writing the first post, thngs have gone from bad to worse. We are now living in a senior co-op which is a safe and decent place to live, but we had to purchase a stock certificate that gives us the right to live in one of their units (each building contains 4 units). The monthly fee is low ($300) and covers a lot of repairs and maintenance.

It's OK. The average age here is 72 and being on the younger side of that scale, we don't quite feel that we fit in. There is an aura of "end of the road". Hard to explain. However, we moved to this area in hopes that my hubby could pick up a couple of days a month working as an LPN. Our reasoning was that since there are so many senior complexes around, surely there would be home care jobs. Nope. They advertise, he applies, and then they tell him it's been too long since he worked or find some other excuse (oh, we only have pediatric cases). My belief is that they feel he is simply too old.

If only one person had mentioned how utterly over-populated it was around here and how horrible the traffic is we would never have moved anywhere near the Toms River area. We are country people! Now we are stuck in an area we hate (even my doctor told me to move, that the stress of driving around here is wrecking my health) with no way to get out.

Since I first wrote my hubby was diagnosed with life-threatening heart disease and underwent a triple bypass. Three months after that I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent 2 surgeries. We have almost no disposable income left now. Feeling stuck in an area you hate to live in and seeing no way out is very, very depressing. I can see no solution now and am at my wit's end. We are thinking that we could try to sell our stock certificate, buy a cheap camper or whatever and hit the road--a dream I have always had. Then we may be able to find other opportunities or at least a place where it is bearable to live and not come home from any driving excursion with hands and knees trembling. Sometimes when I get home from a shopping trip or doctor's appt. I almost feel like getting on my knees and kissing the ground; yup, that's how nerve wracking it is for me.

There is one mobile home park in Jackson that seems way above the rest. It is an over-55 establishment and even have some modular homes on the property as well. It is very clean, well-kept and when I spoke to several residents (this was years ago) they had nothing but really nice things to say about the place. But that was back then and now even trying to pay the land lease fee there would be straining our resources to the limit.

I want to thank everyone who took an interest in our plight. At this point we can see no way out. Our current living arrangement was just going to be temporary. We did learn one lesson, though. Be sure to really check out an area on your own without a real estate agent pointing out all the "wonderful" benefits that in the end come at a huge cost to one's peace of mind and health.
You are probably best off moving out of state, if that's an option.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:02 AM

Default I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
You are probably best off moving out of state, if that's an option.
I have to agree with your recommendation. One of our biggest regrets was moving back to NJ from South Dakota in the late '80s (we love cold weather) and the wide open spaces to me are simply gorgeous. That's why I mentioned getting or renting a camper. It will give us the means to check out places without depending on the internet to find out what an area is REALLY like.

NJ is way too expensive. The only thing keeping me here is my mother, who is 90 years old and probably would not forgive me if I moved away. But then again, she doesn't have to live like we do where we are down to almost counting every penny. Just got our next installment payment for car insurance. It's $102 (have only liability) and the balance is down to $510. For the amount of driving we do--ridiculous!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:
I have to agree with your recommendation. One of our biggest regrets was moving back to NJ from South Dakota in the late '80s (we love cold weather) and the wide open spaces to me are simply gorgeous. That's why I mentioned getting or renting a camper. It will give us the means to check out places without depending on the internet to find out what an area is REALLY like.

NJ is way too expensive. The only thing keeping me here is my mother, who is 90 years old and probably would not forgive me if I moved away. But then again, she doesn't have to live like we do where we are down to almost counting every penny. Just got our next installment payment for car insurance. It's $102 (have only liability) and the balance is down to $510. For the amount of driving we do--ridiculous!
You can shift to Canada.
houses are cheaper here and the place is just awesome
Wide areas and weather as you like is cold

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
A mobile home park is New Jersey is always going to be a marginal existence with lots of broke people in tight spaces. Always plenty of divorcees and broken homes. People who cannot afford something better. Do not confuse mobile home existence with home ownership. A mobile home is not real estate.You cannot get a mortgage on it. It is personal property like a travel trailer. So you "own" it like you own a car. Frankly, renting in a garden apartment complex is probably a superior existence. Crime is usually an issue in mobile home parks also. Like any other place where money is tight. Check with the police in the area where you are considering. You will often find a ton of domestic calls to mobile home parks. I don't think it's a great option at all.
Thats why most of the people who stay in mobile homes are adventurous.
Shifting your RTM homes close to a Hill or a River is worth the investment .
And yes ,.. RTM home is a depreciating asset or there is no profit and it also doesnt come in Real estate

Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 AM

1,787 posts, read 4,798,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
You can shift to Canada.
houses are cheaper here and the place is just awesome
Wide areas and weather as you like is cold
Can someone from the U.S. just move to Canada? I thought you had to be sponsored by someone that lives in Canada. If you don't have a sponsor, how can you live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey