U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 16,146 times

Advertisements

How is the are around 56th street between avenue c and B in Bayonne, NJ?
I'm moving there soon. and some people are telling me the projects of Jersey City is right next to us and sometimes they come out at night slashing tires and all that stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 07:20 PM

12,060 posts, read 14,078,017 times
My brother and sister-in-law lived on 57th St between Avenues B & C for many years. I have to say that I never felt threatened in any way when visiting the area--even late at night.

I have asked my brother to respond with his long-term observations regarding the neighborhood, so please stand by for his answer to your question.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks! Im waiting for his answer.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:27 PM

12,284 posts, read 29,622,289 times
it's not bad. in general, the closer you get to JC the more sketchy the area becomes, but between those two blocks are fine. i wouldn't feel unsafe (i'm a small nonthreatening female, lol).

Old 03-16-2011, 08:37 PM

234 posts, read 765,490 times
I am the guy who lived on 57th Street between Avenue C and Avenue B. I owned a home there for 24 years, and I never had a problem - not once.

Yes, 56th Street is only a few blocks from Jersey City, and there were projects on the Jersey City side. When I moved out of town in 2005, all but one of those buildings had been torn down. My understanding is that the last building was scheduled to be demolished at some point in the future, so it may be gone already but I am not certain about that.

Even with the projects about 1/4 mile away, there were no problems. With the projects either mostly or completely demolished, I wouldn't be afraid to move there.

Just for conversational purposes, I will tell you that one of the two-family homes on 56th Street between B & C is owned by a NJ State Trooper who is allowed to bring a marked car home with him on occasion. There is probably no better crime deterrent than a marked State Police Car parked on the block. Coincidentally, the State Trooper's brother, who is a Bayonne City police officer also lives on the block. I think that this is probably well-known by any potential bad guys, and is an additional deterrent.

Both of these guys are relatively young, so they should be around for a while, and my experiences on the next block didn't include these guys for most of my time there (since the guys who are the cops now were just school kids for most of that time).

If there is any problem at all on that block, it may be parking. A good part of the block is taken up by an elementary school, and of course the teachers like to park as close to the school as possible. The silver lining in this cloud is that the teachers leave by late afternoon, so that should leave a lot of freshly-vacated parking spaces for you when you come home from work - however, if you are not a nine-to-fiver and you come home from work between 8 AM and 3:30 PM it could be a problem.

If you have any other specific questions, I will try to answer them

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 PM

592 posts, read 1,844,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp09 View Post
How is the are around 56th street between avenue c and B in Bayonne, NJ?
I'm moving there soon. and some people are telling me the projects of Jersey City is right next to us and sometimes they come out at night slashing tires and all that stuff.
It's a lot safer than the ghetto part of jersey city but not one of the better neighborhoods of bayonne.

You want to be between 30-45th street, the avenues dont matter too much. JFK/ave b are the quietest with the parks etc..while ave c and e are closer to broadway and lightrail stop. I wouldnt want to be directly on broadway though, too much noise and no privacy.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:19 PM

thanks guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey