Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 AM

526 posts, read 2,065,188 times

Advertisements

"If you build it, they will come."

I think there's enough people in this area looking for a closer and better option to downtown Manhattan than what's currently available. Hence, I could definitely seeing this, at the very least, being a transit hub and, at the very best, a replica of the new downtown Jersey City. Now, would that equate to the revitalization of inner city Elizabeth ... that I don't know. NJPAC didn't do that for Newark and all the new construction has done that for inner-city JC, either. But it's a positive and it's a start. So I definitely think it's a chance worth taking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:31 AM

562 posts, read 2,611,925 times
keep in mind that the main reasons why revitalization of Newark has not happened is simply b/c NEWARK is too big of a CITY and with the high crime there it's a tougher road to pave..

Jersey CIty has done a significant change but without the infrastructure (police, fire, hospitals) being upgraded there is much new constructions can do..

in the other hand.. Elizabeth has upgraded its infrastructure.. new schools, new emergency response unit, new development is happening throughout the city not in certain areas, mass transportation links, etc.. Elizabeth has had crime but it's nothing compare to that of NEWARK, JC, etc..
with this new construction there is a BRIGHT future for our city..
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
"If you build it, they will come."

I think there's enough people in this area looking for a closer and better option to downtown Manhattan than what's currently available. Hence, I could definitely seeing this, at the very least, being a transit hub and, at the very best, a replica of the new downtown Jersey City. Now, would that equate to the revitalization of inner city Elizabeth ... that I don't know. NJPAC didn't do that for Newark and all the new construction has done that for inner-city JC, either. But it's a positive and it's a start. So I definitely think it's a chance worth taking.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:14 PM

also.. you cannot compare Weehaken to Elizabeth.. as the population in Elizabeth is many times more and most people in Weehawkin are not daily commuters.. unlike the population of Elizabeth and the surrounding towns.. ie. Roselle, hillside, roselle park, linden, etc.. many commuters already come to Elizabeth as a gateway to get to the city, this ferry will offer another alternative especially for the commuters going to the financial district..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Hate to say it, but I'm with Mr. Robins- unless the cost of construction for the towers drops substantially for some bizarre reason and at the same time the sales/rental rates double (highly unlikely in this market), all you may see out there is a ferry depot and a parking lot. Not that that's a bad thing, but I think if anything you'll end up with a situation like what occurred in Weehawkin, where the ferry sat out in the middle of nowhere for quite some time (a decade plus, if I remember right) until it started to get enough people using it to make it feasible to start building some housing nearby. Of course, even today there's nothing there at the scale of Celadon, but who knows- maybe in 2030 it'll come to fruition.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,311,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
also.. you cannot compare Weehaken to Elizabeth.. as the population in Elizabeth is many times more and most people in Weehawkin are not daily commuters.. unlike the population of Elizabeth and the surrounding towns.. ie. Roselle, hillside, roselle park, linden, etc.. many commuters already come to Elizabeth as a gateway to get to the city, this ferry will offer another alternative especially for the commuters going to the financial district..
I understand that, and that's why I said the ferry hub might work. That doesn't translate into a $2 billion luxury condo/office/parking project being financially viable though. If nothing else, Elizabeth will gain a nice big parking lot and a really busy offramp from the NJTP to the lot.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:55 PM

526 posts, read 2,065,188 times
in the other hand.. Elizabeth has upgraded its infrastructure.. new schools, new emergency response unit, new development is happening throughout the city not in certain areas, mass transportation links, etc.. Elizabeth has had crime but it's nothing compare to that of NEWARK, JC, etc..

jstar: While we agree on the ferry, this we definitely don't agree on. From the murders on Fulton, Club Cache and Grove to the escaped inmates from Union County Jail to the gang tags on almost every sign, I just don't see this revitalization you're talking about. And, yes, Elizabeth is smaller, so it should be easier for the administration to clean up the crime here than in Newark and JC. Instead, crime numbers are up and I just don't see this administration taking the decisive and correct steps to stop it.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:59 PM

I hate to argue on OPINIONS.. so lets wait and see what happens.. FACTS and ACTIONS are always reliable..

there are many people who oppose this project simply b/c it's not happening in their towns.. or b/c they think it's a waste of money or b/c they feel that Elizabeth does not deserve this.... but apparently EXPERIENCED people see potential in Elizabeth or else they would not bother going thru the hassle.. lets see what happens.. i think i read that the building could start as early as the spring of 2008.. lets wait til summer and see what happened..

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post

jstar: While we agree on the ferry, this we definitely don't agree on. From the murders on Fulton, Club Cache and Grove to the escaped inmates from Union County Jail to the gang tags on almost every sign, I just don't see this revitalization you're talking about. And, yes, Elizabeth is smaller, so it should be easier for the administration to clean up the crime here than in Newark and JC. Instead, crime numbers are up and I just don't see this administration taking the decisive and correct steps to stop it.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 PM

70 posts, read 336,320 times
*Fingers-Crossed*

Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 PM

70 posts, read 336,320 times
Hopefully this will give it a nice boost.

Federal Funding delivered for Liberty Corridor projects NJDOT
NJDOT Commissioner Kris Kolluri and U.S. Senator Robert Menendez held a press conference Tuesday morning, to announce the delivery of federal funding for the Liberty Corridor projects – a major transportation and economic development initiative involving roadways and railways serving Northern New Jersey and the Port of New York and New Jersey.On hand for the event, held at the Jersey Gardens Mall in Elizabeth, were Elizabeth Mayor J. Christian Bollwage and Union County Manager George Devanney, as well as Sam Crane, Senior Vice President of Maher Terminals.

Liberty Corridor Projects
The projects funded in part by the NJTPA Board's authorization of $100 million for critical projects in the Liberty Corridor include:

Shaded area of map highlights the Liberty Corridor
Route 7 Wittpenn Bridge: This project will replace the existing Wittpenn Bridge and address a major chokepoint with a new vertical-lift bridge on a new alignment.
North Jersey Railroad Doublestack Clearance: This project will raise the overhead clearances on Conrail’s National Docks Secondary Line in Hudson County from the existing 19 foot 6 inches to the industry intermodal standard of 20 feet 6 inches.
Liberty Corridor Bus Rapid Transit: A 15-mile bus rapid transit line in Essex and Union counties that will serve Montclair, the Newark Innovation Zone, University Heights Science Park, downtown Newark, Newark Liberty International Airport, and the Port of Newark and Elizabeth.
North Avenue Corridor Improvement Project: This project will construct direct ramp connections from North Avenue to Jersey Gardens Boulevard, grade separations at North Avenue/Kapkowski Road and North Avenue/Dowd Avenue/Division Street, and related improvements in Elizabeth, Union County.

Tremley Point Access Connector Road: This project consists of a new four-lane, approximately 1.1-mile roadway/bridge between Linden in Union County and Carteret in Middlesex County.
Port Reading Junction: This project will create a double-track rail connection between the CSX Railroad’s West Trenton Line, the Norfolk Southern Railroad’s Lehigh Valley Line, and Conrail’s Port Reading Secondary Line in the vicinity of Manville, Somerset County.
Route 18 Extension, Hoes Lane Extension to I-287: This project will rehabilitate Hoes Lane from the Hoes Lane Extension to I-287 in Piscataway, Middlesex County.
New Brunswick Station Platform Extension and Elevator Improvements: This project will construct a new link between Middlesex County’s New Brunswick Station on the Northeast Corridor Line and the adjacent medical research complex, including the Cancer Institute of New Jersey and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
Route 1, North of Ryders Lane to South of Milltown Road: This project includes total replacement of a deficient bridge and related improvements in North Brunswick, Middlesex County.
Route 35/36: This project will realign Route 35 to provide a near 90-degree intersection with Route 36 in Eatontown, Monmouth County.

Newsletter December 2007
Event Photos

Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM

there seems to be many important/known organizations pushing this initiative.. :-)

Old 02-13-2008, 10:44 PM

not sure why my posting was reported as I was linking the info straight from the resources i linked.. oh well someone must not want us to inform the new positive events in Elizabeth.. I already know who.. too bad it's a moderator..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
OK GUYS.. this was just posted on NJ.com STARLEDGER

NJ.com: Everything Jersey

Towers of glass, ferry proposed in Elizabeth
by Jonathan Casiano/The Star-Ledger
Saturday February 02, 2008, 11:00 PM
A developer plans to transform a dormant and reedy landfill along the Elizabeth waterfront into a glittering residential development with 14 glass high rises and direct ferry service to Manhattan.

Moderator cut: copyright violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey