U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:50 PM

26 posts, read 95,623 times

Advertisements

Is this feasible?
Which bridges can people bicycle and/or walk across?
How long does is take?

I'll be starting a new job at 34th and 10th, within walking distance of Penn Station and a ferry port (apparently), but wouldn't mind having the option to bike from a town in NJ.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Which town(s) would I have to live in to be able to bicycle into the city?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 12:09 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,973,091 times
One can walk, or bike across the GWB, but that is nowhere near Penn Station. ( the bridge will take you to W.178 St in Washington Heights section of Manhattan) Also, contruction on the bridge will close some of the sidewalks on the bridge. Walking across the bridge will take maybe 10 minuets, it just depends on how fast you walk. Biking is faster. In order to bike or walk to the city, you should live in or near, Fort Lee. If you walk across the GWB, you can take a downtown A,C, or E train to Penn Station, from the GWB Bus Terminal.

Here is the GWB website for more info on walking or biking across.

http://www.panynj.com/CommutingTrave...ml/gwb.html#pb

Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Silk!

That's interesting info. Through the little research I've done, it looks like the Lincoln Tunnel is the only other route into Manhattan from NJ directly, but it doesn't appear bicycles are allowed on it. Is that true?

Does anyone know the names of some nice towns I would have to live in to be within a 20-minute bike ride of a ferry port on the NJ side that lands in the Pier 79, West 39th St port in Manhattan?

Sorry about all the questions! It looks like I'm going to have to organize a quick move. I can likely afford a single-family home up to about 500,000 in case that matters to your replies. Of course I'd be willing to rent (up to about $2000/month) temporarily while home-hunting.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 06:49 AM

60 posts, read 430,598 times
No bikes are allowed in either tunnel. They are for motor vehicles only--and you wouldn't want to bike them anyhow. The smell is amazing.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:22 PM

32 posts, read 123,104 times
Have you thought about living on Staten Island and taking the ferry?

Old 08-31-2006, 08:33 AM

Well, I'll be working at midtown near Penn Station and was hoping to keep my commute to 20-30 mins maximum, preferably on only a single mode of transportation...

Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 129,805 times
You can take a bike on the path train They stop in Hoboken, Jersey City, Newark, Harrison.
That can spit you out at 34th and 6th.
Or Weehawken and West New York, NJ have beautiful communities on the river with unbelieveable access to the Ferry.

Old 09-01-2006, 04:56 AM

60 posts, read 430,598 times
I second the PATH recommendation--but don't take your bike during rush hours. I don't think you'll need it anyway.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,236 times
Why isn't there a bridge or any way for pedestrians and bikers to get from Jersey to Manhattan?! IT'S ABSURD! IT'S AN OUTRAGE!

Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,564,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyWay View Post
Is this feasible?
Which bridges can people bicycle and/or walk across?
How long does is take?

I'll be starting a new job at 34th and 10th, within walking distance of Penn Station and a ferry port (apparently), but wouldn't mind having the option to bike from a town in NJ.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!
Which town(s) would I have to live in to be able to bicycle into the city?

Thanks in advance
Your best bet would be Manhattan or Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or