U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM

71 posts, read 191,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann77 View Post
If it was me, I would walk only because it could be a sign that other parts of the home weren't being maintained properly either. Water dripping through the ceiling is a big deal to me. That's something that has to be fixed immediately.
yes, I see the point, but I guess we'd be better off with the informed decision in this case as we feel more or less comfortable with the rest about this house... I wonder if there is some information that can make us walk away right away, without further investigation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,439,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
I was hoping to get some answers like this to better understand our options. Could you please explain more? How does the source of water affect the consequences of the water damage?
If you have really hard water, the minerals can build up in your pipes and cause damage. You can have hard water from any water supply. Call or go down to the town ask how you can get a copy of the most recent water quality report. It will be in there.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
seller should have disclosed it...no way they did not know about it...so i would think, what else are they hiding?
I think that wasn't the only thing left out, but I can't do much about it)) if the structure is ok and without mold, termites and radon are not there, permits are ok, the house insurance and detectors would take care of the rest later...

anything else major and hidden the house inspection didn't discover we should be worrying about?

Old 03-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
If you have really hard water, the minerals can build up in your pipes and cause damage. You can have hard water from any water supply. Call or go down to the town ask how you can get a copy of the most recent water quality report. It will be in there.
interesting, thanks!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 AM

76 posts, read 268,452 times
Yulga, I personally would not want the hassle of buying a property with this type of water damage...especially if it has already formed a hole. The problem could be very extensive, there's no way of knowing unless you rip out large portions of the surrounding area.

If I were you, I would also post in the "House" forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

The posters there may be able to give you additional information.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,412,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Does the house have city water or well water? If city water, you may want to find out from the water company what the hardness of the water is, and whether or not they would recommend a water softener. (I know people who were plagued with leaks for many years and needed to have a water softener installed, which is not cheap). If it's well water it would be a bit more complicated as you would need to have the water tested. It depends on what exactly is leaking.

Water that is too acidic, (hard) can wear away at the copper pipes, creating pinholes in the water supply lines. Sellers must test well water and make ramification to pass water test. This really sounds to me as a drainpipe problem. In any event it seems like old plumbing and may need updating...i.e. kitchen and baths?

Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
Water that is too acidic, (hard) can wear away at the copper pipes, creating pinholes in the water supply lines. Sellers must test well water and make ramification to pass water test. This really sounds to me as a drainpipe problem. In any event it seems like old plumbing and may need updating...i.e. kitchen and baths?
thanks! so if the plumbing is to be updated it's usually fixed from the upper floor by misplacing appliances?

what's about plumber's investigation? do they usually need to remove bathtubs, toilets, kitchen sink to evaluate the pipes, or they can go from the ceiling downstairs?

btw, do you know the range on the cost of similar repairs here, in NNJ? can it be done through the seller house insurance, or is it more common to request the credit from the seller and replace everything by yourself?

thanks again!

Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriState Traveler View Post
Yulga, I personally would not want the hassle of buying a property with this type of water damage...especially if it has already formed a hole. The problem could be very extensive, there's no way of knowing unless you rip out large portions of the surrounding area.

If I were you, I would also post in the "House" forum.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/house/

The posters there may be able to give you additional information.
it might be reasonable to try and see, and if the seller does not cooperate, we'll walk away - this is clear and simple to do...

thanks for the link, I'll post there as well - I just wanted to see if we can get any local specifics first...

Old 03-23-2011, 05:19 AM

1,527 posts, read 3,439,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yulga View Post
thanks! so if the plumbing is to be updated it's usually fixed from the upper floor by misplacing appliances?

what's about plumber's investigation? do they usually need to remove bathtubs, toilets, kitchen sink to evaluate the pipes, or they can go from the ceiling downstairs?

btw, do you know the range on the cost of similar repairs here, in NNJ? can it be done through the seller house insurance, or is it more common to request the credit from the seller and replace everything by yourself?

thanks again!
How old is this house? Sometimes, at a certain point, the bathroom needs to be redone. Pipes don't last forever.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
How old is this house? Sometimes, at a certain point, the bathroom needs to be redone. Pipes don't last forever.
it's redone, 40 yrs old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey